Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Carolingian

I think you are are overacting...

1) Batteries are discharging over time even when not used. I regard a loss of 2 bars over 4 weeks as more or less normal.

4) Windows not recognizing something sadly is 'normal' too. Maybe the reader is defect, maybe not.

5a) If MS would answer every question concerning something not beeing recognizes on someones PC they would have to level up their employees stock a significant amount.

5b) Battery could be flat because you turned off your PC and let your reader connected to it. That would drain the battery empty because power now runs the other way round - from the reader into the PC.

8) Yes, I agree with you that Sony and a lot of other brands (for example Apple with their Ipods and Macbooks) think you should throw away your product and buy another (newer) one when something is defect. And it WILL be defect because it's intentioned partly by design. Sad but true. To give consumers the impression that they COULD repair defect things, they have a repair service. But with very high fees.

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 06-15-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Sorry, but this happened to me and it was a motherboard fault. Do a search on these forums for power switch 650. It's happened to several people.

It seems the power-switch is integrated in the MB and when it goes the whole thing goes. It's a design fault with the 650s. A great shame because otherwise its a great device. You may as well hit ebay and get an old 650 or get a T1. You can find them cheap now.

For others, if your 650 is still okay, I recommend you minimize all use of the power-switch. Install the latest version of Prs+ and instead of using the standby / sleep mode, turn that off, and bind a key to turn off the touch screen instead. Basically, minimize all use of the power switch.

Personally I will never pay more for quality for ereaders. They are disposable. I buy used.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
Carolingian
Carolingian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Carolingian

I think you are are overacting...

1) Batteries are discharging over time even when not used. I regard a loss of 2 bars over 4 weeks as more or less normal.

4) Windows not recognizing something sadly is 'normal' too. Maybe the reader is defect, maybe not.

5a) If MS would answer every question concerning something not beeing recognizes on someones PC they would have to level up their employees stock a significant amount.

5b) Battery could be flat because you turned off your PC and let your reader connected to it. That would drain the battery empty because power now runs the other way round - from the reader into the PC.

8) Yes, I agree with you that Sony and a lot of other brands (for example Apple with their Ipods and Macbooks) think you should throw away your product and buy another (newer) one when something is defect. And it WILL be defect because it's intentioned partly by design. Sad but true. To give consumers the impression that they COULD repair defect things, they have a repair service. But with very high fees.

A.
I knew all the things you mentioned before you wrote them. I took very strong preventative measures to ensure lack of battery. I guess if you are a wealthy person the idea of such a quick turnover of disposable items is OK. For me it is Not. btw I am not over reacting - just stating the facts. Never a good idea to make a comment which I regard as offensive to someone you have never met, Mate!
Carolingian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

?????
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Hello Carolingian, if you are located in the United States you can call our Priority Service @ 239-768-7678 Hours:

■Mon-Fri 8:00am-12:00am (Midnight) ET
■Sat-Sun 9:00am-8:00pm ET

They can help you with any questions you may have. If you are not located in the U.S. you can find contact information for customer support @ http://ebooks.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/93
Thanks, Scott Fuentes
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Analogus
Fanatic

@ Sonylistens:

To be more positiv ;-)

I've had a lot of troubles with Sony-products the last 20 years. For example in case of my MD-player which is in principle a very good product with hight quality concerning hardware and a desaster concerning software and DRM.
In case of my 3 readers I've had troubles, too. But my experience with SONY's repair-service (inbetween warranty-time) has been very good - without troubles and quick.

I regard it as a huge progress ('progress' because in my case nobody answered my mails years ago when having troubles) that 'someone' official is reading and answering here.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
For others, if your 650 is still okay, I recommend you minimize all use of the power-switch. Install the latest version of Prs+ and instead of using the standby / sleep mode, turn that off, and bind a key to turn off the touch screen instead. Basically, minimize all use of the power switch.
I can see with PRS+ how to bind a key to go into sleep mode, but I can't find a way to bind a key to leave sleep mode. Is that possible, or will I still need to use the power switch to wake the reader up and carry on reading?
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I can see with PRS+ how to bind a key to go into sleep mode, but I can't find a way to bind a key to leave sleep mode. Is that possible, or will I still need to use the power switch to wake the reader up and carry on reading?
Which was my question in another thread some while ago. I did not receive a reply at the time so I presume it's not possible.

Which rather negates Rizla's idea about not using the power switch - unless of course he/she can tell us this time how it's done.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Well, with PRS+ you can bind a key to GO to sleepmode, it just seems you can't bind a key to LEAVE sleepmode. As I never explicitly use the power switch to GO to sleepmode (I just let it time out), this is not so useful to me.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #25
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Probably because when asleep, the keys are not read by the device.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Well, with PRS+ you can bind a key to GO to sleepmode, it just seems you can't bind a key to LEAVE sleepmode. As I never explicitly use the power switch to GO to sleepmode (I just let it time out), this is not so useful to me.
As do I.

There is no need to actively put the device into sleep mode so I can't see the advantage of using PRS+ to assign a key for this action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Probably because when asleep, the keys are not read by the device.
No doubt - so what is Rizla on about anyway.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #27
Carolingian

Carolingian has bought a Kindle Touch and is v. happy with it. Thanks for your comments. I have received a placatory email from Sony, but I haven't replied yet. They want me to send it to a workshop near me, but I have already said, as noted in my other post that I would not pay a cent more. I will let you know what happens. Carolingian hates to see people ripped off.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
Carolingian

Thanks Sonylistens for your offer, but I live in Australia where Sony after hours care is virtually nonexistent. There is only one shop where I live, which although in a city of 2 million offers very little help. The guy who took my call was very nice, but he couldn't help me. He did remark however that the PRS-650 is renowned for battery problems. Amen to that.

Last edited by Carolingian; 07-20-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #29
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolingian View Post
Thanks Sonylistens for your offer, but I live in Australia where Sony after hours care is virtually nonexistent. There is only one shop where I live, which although in a city of 2 million offers very little help. The guy who took my call was very nice, but he couldn't help me. He did remark however that the PRS-650 is renowned for battery problems. Amen to that.
Not My 650. Bought 23rd Sept 2010.

Battery usage 100% to 25% in 25 - 30 days. charged approximately once a month. Total number of charges since new = 24 (as of 18/07/2012)

I don't let it 'go flat' I always charge it when it gets down to 25% - 1 bar

I put on Standby between reading sessions, and power it off when not likely to use again in the next 2 hours or more, using the power switch.

Not had any problems with it at all. (hardware or software wise) The Battery is still performing as new.
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Which rather negates Rizla's idea about not using the power switch - unless of course he/she can tell us this time how it's done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
No doubt - so what is Rizla on about anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote