Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #31
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntykatkat View Post
I just bought an HD+, and have been waiting as it is on backorder. I think this is the reason why. I am very glad that this has been added. I love the chrome browser on my computer, and hated the browser on my tablet. I look forward to seeing my new nook, when I do get it.

I had heard that they were planning an anouncement on Monday as well. Wonder what that could be????
I was going to run down to B&N and get the HD+, but now I will wait to see what this announcement is on Monday. This is a very good move. Now I can get a large tablet for a very good price and it has full access to Google Play. What a deal!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #32
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
This is great news for existing owners or people that were on the fence. I'm not convinced it'll help sales all that much. I also think having two stores will confuse a lot of users.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #33
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
This is great news for existing owners or people that were on the fence. I'm not convinced it'll help sales all that much. I also think having two stores will confuse a lot of users.
I think it will be less confusing because now they are not walled in to the Nook store. Most who have heard of Android tablets just assume that you will be able to get apps from Google and were confused when they found out that they would only be able to get apps from the Nook store previously. This announcement removes that. Now, I wonder will it be possible to sideload the apps.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #34
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Now, I wonder will it be possible to sideload the apps.
What apps would you want to sideload? Most people want to sideload Google apps which will no longer be necessary.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just installed the update and my HD+ is already 1,000 times more useful.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just installed the update and my HD+ is already 1,000 times more useful.
I'm a Kindle guy :-) ... so, teach me ...

where's Google Play or how I can get access to it? I only see a "shop" button. I did the upgrade. My software version is 2.0.6
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #37
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I'm a Kindle guy :-) ... so, teach me ...

where's Google Play or how I can get access to it? I only see a "shop" button. I did the upgrade. My software version is 2.0.6
The newest software version (with Google goodies) is 2.1.0. You can either download it from B&N or wait and try to update again later. 2.0.6 was what my version was before today's update.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
The newest software version (with Google goodies) is 2.1.0. You can either download it from B&N or wait and try to update again later. 2.0.6 was what my version was before today's update.
I see ... it looks it updated to previous one 1st. Let me check for upgrades again.

Thanks for reply.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #39
jocampo
Layback feline

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1367621180971.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	105321

Wohoo ... :-)
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #40
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Double Woohoo! I just peed my pants!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #41
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Six months too late.
I would've bought one last Xmas if it had PLAY.
Still, better late than never.

About time they realized that, as they say; "It's the apps!"
BINGO! It should be interesting to see if it makes a difference for B&N. But I think it's too little too late. unless you are Amazon lock in to a specific store is just not acceptable. Too bad it took them to long to figure that out.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #42
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Great move. The Nook HD+ in particular is some very nice hardware.

I'm already on a Nexus 7 at this point - but still...

B&N needed to do this, instead of trying to grab the whole closed marketplace scheme ala Apple or Amazon.

I've owned a Nook color (Which I put CM7 on about 6 months into ownership). We had two more with CM7 for a while before I upgraded my daughter to a Galaxy Tab 2. Overall they've been great hardware and very durable.

Being able to use the native Nook books that read to you AND the google store is a big win. Our last NC is due up for replacement - when my daughter turns 6 I'll likely get her a Nook HD for her birthday.

And the Nook interface is a lot better for kids to manage IMO over the stock Android interface.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
BINGO! It should be interesting to see if it makes a difference for B&N. But I think it's too little too late. unless you are Amazon lock in to a specific store is just not acceptable.
Not even Amazon.
The FIRE lets you sideload and even install alternate app stores.
There's plenty of useful apps that aren't on the Amazon app store...and you can still get them on the FIRE easily. The difference is, Amazon has always let you sideload.

As is, I hear the Nook still doesn't let you easily sideload. If true, it's a lot less of an issue with Play onboard but some people are still going to have to jump through the SDK hoops once or twice. Big leap forward for Nook, though.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #44
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I had no problem updating the Nook HD.

I just need two things now - an app that allows Amazon Prime Videos to play on the Nook, and for Cablevision to get on the ball and add the Nook device to its Android app.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #45
jersysman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What apps would you want to sideload? Most people want to sideload Google apps which will no longer be necessary.
There are a few apps that are not on Google Play and you need to sideload them. Not many, but still enough to where I would like to be able to get them on the device if I happen to get one.