Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PDF documents.

I've got an assembly I can use in VS.Net that will let me create PDF documents. If I create a document containing say, 30 pages will it work if I dump it onto the 505 or must I do something with the pagination, fonts and what have you?

I'm still a bit confused whether you can run a PDF document directly on the 505 or if you have to do some magic to get it to work ok?
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokkie View Post
I've got an assembly I can use in VS.Net that will let me create PDF documents. If I create a document containing say, 30 pages will it work if I dump it onto the 505 or must I do something with the pagination, fonts and what have you?

I'm still a bit confused whether you can run a PDF document directly on the 505 or if you have to do some magic to get it to work ok?
A 505 will read the PDF directly. However, you really should format it well for the Sony's 6 inch screen. If you look at the Wiki it tells you the correct size to use.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It'll work as is, but will look best if the page size you use is 3.47” width x 4.54” height
(88.2 mm x 115.4 mm). See the Sony "Creating PDFs for the Sony Reader" doc for more details.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Bokkie--

The 505 will read PDF files natively. Unless they are specifically formatted for the 6" screen though, it might not do a very good job of it.

Now with the reflow options from the upgraded firmware it does work better, but is far from perfect. That's why a lot of people spend the time to convert their PDF to another format.

Why don't you try copying over your PDF to the reader and see how it looks? If it works for you, great, if not and you really want it on your reader, you'll need to spend the time to convert it to a format that's easier to read.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:

Any PDF will work on the Reader out-of-the-box... but it's not going to be pretty. Use the text size button on the device to engage reflow. But really, you should avoid putting PDFs on it. Try to read one and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
But really, you should avoid putting PDFs on it. Try to read one and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
I tried the one here & it seems fine!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I tried the one here & it seems fine!
Well you used a PDF that was properly formatted for the Reader. You will not see many of those around.

Try to read a standard letter sized PDF on the Reader and you will very quickly understand what I was talking about.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The 505 uses a screen resolution of 166dpi but my .Net assembly uses 72dpi but I need to check if that can be changed or not. I used a test C# app to create a test document with a line drawn on it and the quality on the screen is totally spot-on which is most encouraging. This means I can go ahead and create some more PDF documents using multiple pages and perhaps drop some graphics onto the pages as well. When I viewed the properties of the page it was bang on 3.47" x 4.54" so I guess that preserves all the page flow correctly and displays it equally.

I can also experiment with pictures using SnagIT and see if those view ok. My first attempt showed it to be quite grainy and slightly washed out. Visible perhaps but not sharply. Otherwise, so far so good.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #9
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
But really, you should avoid putting PDFs on it. Try to read one and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
That is absolutelly wrong. ANY PDF with an A4 size will display shamefully, BUT if you create the pdf for the Reader, the result is PERFECT.

Right now I have dropped using LRF files. I create PDFs with page size 11,7 x 9 and font size 13 (for embedded futura Lt Bt, but that is up to one's choice) and the result displays perfect and turns pages as fast as you want. Much faster than LRF with embedded fonts.

File size can grow a little, but that should by no means be an issue.

For anyone who wants to try, here go my specifications:

Page size: 11,7 x 9 cm
Margins: T: 0,75; B: 0; R,L: 0,2; Header: 0,2
Font size: Main:13; Header: 8 cursiva.
Bleed of 0,25 on 1st line, full justified paragraphs with 3 pts space behind.

Just give it a try.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
That is absolutelly wrong. ANY PDF with an A4 size will display shamefully, BUT if you create the pdf for the Reader, the result is PERFECT.
It seems you missed this post:

Quote:
Well you used a PDF that was properly formatted for the Reader. You will not see many of those around.

Try to read a standard letter sized PDF on the Reader and you will very quickly understand what I was talking about.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
It seems you missed this post:
No, didn't miss it . Through what you say (I don't know if that is what you mean) one can understand PDF is a format to be discarded when talking about the PRS and that is what I want to make clearer.

Big size PDFs are useless, but if you are editing a Guttenberg book, some web info or whatever for yourself, IMHO PDF is the best file type you can use. Editing through Word and conversion to PDF performs at the moment better than any other (epub, lrf, rtf...). You can embed fonts, add pictures and edit the text as richly as you want at a price of using some more memory.

Maybe you can't find many proper PRS customized PDFs, but that is only because people don't make them.

I don't buy books. I have been creating my own LRFs for 8 months. Then I tried PDF and the result is better in every way. I have converted all my LRFs into PDF.

As for books you can buy, If sold in PDF I guess they would be properly formated and the result should be perfect.

I might be wrong and maybe PDF is not the best file type for the Reader, but if it is not, it is certainly pretty close to the best.

Here is an example of a prepared pdf , that includes images and TOC.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...511#post278511

Last edited by Peto; 10-28-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Added link to ebook.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 AM   #12
jaffab
Enthusiast
jaffab is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:

I for one, would be interested in what Assembly you are using. Is it your own creation, or a third party product (Im always looking for stuff liek this to use in my own apps).
jaffab is offline   Reply With Quote