Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #121
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
To me, it's akin to a "Be sure to check out these other great novels!" page at the beginning of a book: harmless and easily ignored.
Yes, except that those pages aren't collecting data on which ones are displayed or clicked on in order to report back to the marketing division next time your device contacts Kobo's servers.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #122
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yes, except that those pages aren't collecting data on which ones are displayed or clicked on in order to report back to the marketing division next time your device contacts Kobo's servers.
If that's your concern then I hope you've never bought anything over the internet. For that matter, I hope you've never used the internet.

Oops... too late.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #123
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Touch
Everything fine and so on... but I have 7 fonts now (custom fonts has gone and creating new fonts folder does nothing)) and only two work correctly (for some ebooks) with polish diacritics (again). Updated from v1.9.12.

Edit. And one major thing - I can not adjust side margins.

Last edited by Boruteczko; 10-05-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #124
Techbar
TechnoGeek
Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Techbar could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Mars, Boox Kepler Pro, InkBook Obsidian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
I'm in NZ - I bought my KT over the Internet from Borders in the USA before they closed and I've also just received 2.0.4 (R41166, 9/26/12).......

OK that's odd. Maybe we will get a further update up to 2.1.4. at some stage???
And this morning I did another sync and 2.1.4 loaded, now to find what has changed.....
Techbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #125
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Interestingly, even though I had manually installed 2.1.1, my Touch just updated, via wifi, to 2.1.4 using a 2 stage process (install, restart, install, restart)
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #126
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Interestingly, even though I had manually installed 2.1.1, my Touch just updated, via wifi, to 2.1.4 using a 2 stage process (install, restart, install, restart)
And I can report I am seeing the bug with the shelves where it shows and unknown book and author, and if you touch on it, it crashes and reboots.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #127
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm going to have to revert to 2.1.1 during reading the tap did not register and it rebooted itself.

After reboot it then went to the page I was reading when I last turned it on, not when I finished reading it and locked up.

So I'll wait for the official update.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #128
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
It's rather pointless to complain about this because a large part of the reason e-readers even exist is to drive people to purchase content from the related store. All the major brands have this, and I think it's something we just have to accept.
While companies might well want to drive content sales I can't agree with the 'we just have to accept this' part. This depends quite a bit on marketing and pricing policies. Around here the KOBO book store is completely irrelevant, but the hardware is sold through many retail stores and is not advertized as bound to a specific store. And the touch is designed to work well with 'side-loaded' epubs, so KOBO actually accepts this as a typical and legitimate use case. Amazon, on the other hand, is quite open about that the Kindle is exclusively linked to their store, so that for everybody buying a Kindle it is clear that the device is supposed to be used to access (=buy) Amazon content more or less exclusively.

I also doubt that there are many people who are driven to buy books from KOBO just because of the stuff displayed on the home screen of their ereaders. But there may well be some people (I for one) who refuse to consider buying anything from them because of the permanent and annoyingly intrusive reminders that there exists something like a KOBO book store.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #129
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
I also doubt that there are many people who are driven to buy books from KOBO just because of the stuff displayed on the home screen of their ereaders. But there may well be some people (I for one) who refuse to consider buying anything from them because of the permanent and annoyingly intrusive reminders that there exists something like a KOBO book store.
Hear, hear!

I specifically purchased the Kobo instead of a Nook or Kindle because I didn't want a store shoved in my face, and here they go sneaking more and more of the store. Add in the fact that the Kobo store is, IMO, the worst implemented ebookstore only makes things worse. (No cart, horrible search, wishlist I can only add to or remove from a recommended read, no way to stop a book from syncing other than to delete it, the side pop-up, etc.)

Last edited by artifact; 10-05-2012 at 06:21 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #130
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I think that there has to be a compromise. I quite liked the much derided carousel, because it had a useful function for people who chose not to use the store as it could show your shortlist. I also don't mind having the find books buttons or the search option for the kobo store (I find the discover tab to be odd, because it seems to more or less duplicate the find books functionality). I think the wishlist is more irksome because it just seems to take up screen space. If you are not going to use it, it is just going to sit there, and has no discernible use, unlike the carousel, and I don't see how it is going to persuade anyone to buy more/any kobo books. The other thing is that I really love the minimal interface for the device, and this just seems like a step in the wrong direction as it is just clutter. That said, I recognise that kobo wants to make it easy for us to buy books from them, and they should, but I felt that this fell on the wrong side of the line between making it simple for us to buy their books and cluttering our nice simple homescreen.

(That said, I still love the device and recommend them to all and sundry. It is only a sign of how much I am attached to it that I feel the need to whinge about the details. On the whole I have been a very happy customer)

Last edited by scoobertron; 10-05-2012 at 06:20 PM. Reason: didn't want to sound like I was complaining
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #131
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
No you could sideload the font?
I'm looking for a freebie version... shhh...

Delima, that is...
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #132
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Glad more people are speaking up about the crappy UI advertising. I can only guess their marketing division is driving their UI designers because they sure are NOT listening to what their customers want. We say we want the advertising to be less obtrussive, they make it more so. We again speak out about it... they make it more so.

In 1.9.17, people cried out about the bottom screen having the previews across it, but we found out that we could set that to shortlist and we liked it (or at least some of us did) What happened, they changed it, added a Discover, Wishlist and other stuff and hid the shortlist from the Home screen. Now in 2.1.4, did you notice that the READING book covers are smaller now that the wishlist is all by itself on the bottom of the screen. Talk about clutter.

What they should have done instead is kept the 1.9.17 Home Screen UI and added a minimize option to the bottom book selection, combined the featured, discover, wishlist into it's own menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
...That said, I recognise that kobo wants to make it easy for us to buy books from them, and they should, but I felt that this fell on the wrong side of the line between making it simple for us to buy their books and cluttering our nice simple homescreen...
Sure of course they want to sell books and have a right to, but damn fix the methods by which we buy the books, make the website more user friendly, shopping cart anyone? Deligate the shopping aspect to the Kobo Desktop app as well rather than on the reader. While I don't use the desktop app to do any book shopping I do however use it to look at my previews and add to my wishlist. Well I did until I found out that if I log out my wishlist actually disappears.

Why do I rag on Kobo so much, am I just disgruntled with them. Yes and No. The Kobo has one main use... to read books and it does it very well for the cost but it could be so much better... I think they have a lot of potential but there is so little implementation.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #133
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoX View Post
What if Australian users use a proxy to hide their australian IP?

BTW I'm glad I'm hearing users saying that the slow page turn problem in sideloaded ebooks seems to be solved, I'm still afraid to update my kobo with 1.9.17 since it works so smoothly...
It depends. If the device is fairly new, it would probably be OK. But, if it is older, it might not work. The official 2.1.4 announcement post has a warning. This is referring to some devices sold in Australia last year. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30#post2249130 or some of my other post in the last few days for some details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #134
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Starting from 2.0.0c, I updated the firmware through the Desktop. 2.0.4 was downloaded. The Desktop just disappeared the syning window, and then nothing. I had to figure out it had completed loading the firmware, and pulled the USB.

The Touch went through its update .... to 2.0.0c.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #135
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Tried it again through Desktop, which downloaded 2.0.4 again.

This time, I got the 2.0 release notes on the Touch (from 7/5/12).

And... 2.0.4 (r41166, 9/26/12) has installed!

It would be nice if Kobo told us somewhere that we had to upgrade our firmware twice.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote