Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #601
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Awesome. Duly noted under potentials. It'll probably be fall next year before I get to Q, but looks like fun in a genre I rarely read.
Another one in the mystery genre: Peter Abrahams writes a series called Chet and Bernie (dog and his PI owner) under the pseudonym Spencer Quinn.

More Qs: Arthur Quiller-Couch and Anna Quindlen.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #602
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
You can always create a short-story shelf in Goodreads. I have separate shelves for 2010-reads, 2011-reads etc.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #603
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Another Q: A. J. Quinnell, who wrote "Man on Fire", amongst many others (was made into a movie starring Denzel Washington).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #604
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Thanks. I'm having a hard time just finding lists of authors that begin with a given letter. The ones I'm finding are just so woefully incomplete.

I have found another 'Q'. Paul Quarrington who wrote Whale Music. Quarrington won the Stephen Leacock award for King Leary and as a Canadian fits into other goals of mine to read more of my country's authors as well. I'm still interested in reading at least one Ellery Queen crime novel.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #605
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
How about this for "Q" author ideas? It's a link to the Sony Reader store, because that's my go-to store, but it should give you some other names to search elsewhere, if you want. There are 341 names in that list; you can even narrow it down by subject, if you want.

As far as the challenge, I didn't want to limit what books I read -- that is, avoiding long books so that my goal would be reached -- so I was one of the "manage it however you want to" people.

I signed up so that I would be accountable for the books I read and my "real" goal was "more than 65". I am surprised because I have read more than 70 books now and still have a couple of months to go -- I won't make 100, but if I make 80, I will be very impressed with myself!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #606
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^Awesome. I used to be able to find the one on Amazon, but since they changed the site layout, I can't find it anywhere.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #607
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I was very picky about not counting my short stories prior to reaching 100 books. After I hit 120 it became a free for all and if I read it and counted it at GR it was in.

I do a LOT of re-reading but I tend to hit every single page. I counted those as well, too. With the exception of not counting a book I've read more than once this year more than once (ex. I've read Dragon Bound at least 5-7 times since buying it but I only counted it once).
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #608
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I was very picky about not counting my short stories prior to reaching 100 books. After I hit 120 it became a free for all and if I read it and counted it at GR it was in.

I do a LOT of re-reading but I tend to hit every single page. I counted those as well, too. With the exception of not counting a book I've read more than once this year more than once (ex. I've read Dragon Bound at least 5-7 times since buying it but I only counted it once).
That's a good idea! I can just keep a track of any short stories I read throughout the year but only count them on GR after reaching 100, should I reach that far.

Edit: I have also decided that I will indeed count prequels and bonus stories as they are actually part of the series I am reading.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #609
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I didn't focus on the length of the book at all; the short stories I read were all compilations published as books, rather than one-offs. My main rule for the year was no rereads. Next year I'll allow myself rereads--I've been reminded of a lot of old favorites because they're now available as e-books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #610
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

I've been counting everything - once it's in GR, it's game; however, I place the short stories, novellas etc on a shelf I call "less-than-150-pgs".

( And I thought I was bad with rereading Dragon Bound )
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #611
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would like to suggest changing the name of this challenge going forward to either the "100 Books Challenge" or the "Annual 100 Books challenge" so that those of us who would like to, can continue to participate every year without worry of any additional name changes.

We can still start a specific thread every year so that there isn't one that gets ridiculously long, and if the moderators and other club leaders are willing, we can join the "Book Club" subsection.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:06 AM   #612
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I would like to suggest changing the name of this challenge going forward to either the "100 Books Challenge" or the "Annual 100 Books challenge" so that those of us who would like to, can continue to participate every year without worry of any additional name changes.
That seems like a reasonable proposal, and I think I'd further amend it to just a set of "[YEAR] Annual Reading Challenge Discussion" and "[YEAR] Annual Reading Challenge Booklists" threads so that people can pick and choose whichever challenge they'd like to participate in (or just set for themselves) and could put a little note at the top of their personal booklist post to indicate which, if any, of the common challenges they are trying to meet.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #613
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
That seems like a reasonable proposal, and I think I'd further amend it to just a set of "[YEAR] Annual Reading Challenge Discussion" and "[YEAR] Annual Reading Challenge Booklists" threads so that people can pick and choose whichever challenge they'd like to participate in (or just set for themselves) and could put a little note at the top of their personal booklist post to indicate which, if any, of the common challenges they are trying to meet.
That is an excellent idea ATD!!!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #614
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post

( And I thought I was bad with rereading Dragon Bound )
What can I say? I love that cranky dragon.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #615
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I agree with ATD's proposal. That would fit in well with the weird challenge I'm devising for myself for next year.

Tags
a terminator production