Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #23026
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I got nailed by a truly amazing virus attack in 2006. It really was phenomenal. The really sad thing is that anyone who could craft the series of programs that nailed me could probably have made a very decent (and honest) living in the tech world.

Fortunately, I was sitting at the screen when it launched. At the time I really only relied on an antivirus program, but it did a valiant job. Between the AV and me, we were at least able to prevent the attack from installing a rootkit, but it still took about 6 weeks to get the PC cleaned.

Now, I run an antivirus program, a paid anti-malware program, a strong firewall, a script blocker, a cookie whitelist add-on for my browser, and I keep a strong (and updated) Hosts file. It's a pain in the butt, but it works.

Oh ... and I do most of my "surfing" with my Linux-based netbook.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #23027
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Now, I run an antivirus program, a paid anti-malware program, a strong firewall, a script blocker, a cookie whitelist add-on for my browser, and I keep a strong (and updated) Hosts file. It's a pain in the butt, but it works.
What is a script blocker??
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #23028
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
****. My little fuzzies have been infested with fleas! This has never happened with them before, so I've been caught massively off guard.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #23029
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
****. My little fuzzies have been infested with fleas! This has never happened with them before, so I've been caught massively off guard.
Fleas have been terrible here this year. I've been pretty lucky with Sammy Dog and managed to stay (mostly) ahead of them, but my sister's about ready to nuke her house from space. Hope you can get your critters comfortable!
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #23030
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
What is a script blocker??
It prevents any Javascript, Flash video, or other "active content" from running unless you specifically approve. You can permit a site to run scripts on a onetime basis, or allow it to run scripts until revoked.

Scripts are very useful and it can be cumbersome to keep approving new sites. On the other hand, scripts are one way for a hacker to deliver malware to your computer.

I use the NoScript add-on for Firefox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoScript
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #23031
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
It prevents any Javascript, Flash video, or other "active content" from running unless you specifically approve. You can permit a site to run scripts on a onetime basis, or allow it to run scripts until revoked.

Scripts are very useful and it can be cumbersome to keep approving new sites. On the other hand, scripts are one way for a hacker to deliver malware to your computer.

I use NoScript for Firefox also and it appears to work very well. It's a pain in the butt at times having to approve every site for running scripts, but it sure beats the alternative.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #23032
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

This add-on ~~NoScript Security Suite 2.6.8.1
http://noscript.net/

I use Firefox, but then that is the only browser I will use.

I do have Do Not Track Me, Ghoestry, & AdBlock plus also. But I did not know about scripts.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #23033
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr................................. ........

My US bank has decided to implement new security protocols for on-line banking. Two months ago they asked customers to verify a telephone number at which they can be reached for a one-time check. I immediately wrote to Customer Service and told them that I was out of the country and asked how I could deal with this as my phone number in Thailand is different than the one in the US. I was told by a very clever representative that I needed to come into the bank to change the number. I wrote back that I was out of the country and could NOT come in to change the number, but that my son was AT my number and could take the call. The same rep wrote back that I should add my son's name to the account for that to work. I wrote back and asked her to add my son's name to my account. She wrote back saying that I would have to come into the bank to add his name... I wrote back that I was out of the country and could NOT come in to add his name. I asked again HOW I could deal with this problem while being out of the country. She wrote back and told me that her supervisor told her that SHE could enter my Thai phone number, which she did. Unfortunately, their automated system, while allowing for longer numbers to include dialing International country codes, doesn't allow for the 011 prefix to allow their system to access the International dialing service. And their human Customer Service can't override the new computer security protocols... It must be accessed by the automated computer system.

It's a good thing Life Support isn't computer controlled. Oh... wait....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #23034
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Stitchy!? no, don't go to the light all bank things are not important

says she who grits her teeth while battling the off shore kindle support people at 1130
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #23035
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Quote:

Thanks a bunch I have it installed.

Also would you please private message me, I have a questions and I bet you can help me figure out how to solve this.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #23036
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

My US bank has decided to implement new security protocols for on-line banking. Two months ago they asked customers to verify a telephone number at which they can be reached for a one-time check. I immediately wrote to Customer Service and told them that I was out of the country and asked how I could deal with this as my phone number in Thailand is different than the one in the US. I was told by a very clever representative that I needed to come into the bank to change the number. I wrote back that I was out of the country and could NOT come in to change the number, but that my son was AT my number and could take the call. The same rep wrote back that I should add my son's name to the account for that to work. I wrote back and asked her to add my son's name to my account. She wrote back saying that I would have to come into the bank to add his name... I wrote back that I was out of the country and could NOT come in to add his name. I asked again HOW I could deal with this problem while being out of the country. She wrote back and told me that her supervisor told her that SHE could enter my Thai phone number, which she did. Unfortunately, their automated system, while allowing for longer numbers to include dialing International country codes, doesn't allow for the 011 prefix to allow their system to access the International dialing service. And their human Customer Service can't override the new computer security protocols... It must be accessed by the automated computer system.

Stitchawl
I work in IT and I have a mantra, it goes like this: all systems are powerful until one adds business rules.

I also have another mantra: technology: bad for you; bad for me.

I was thinking of printing t-shirts and wearing them on Fridays.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #23037
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Oh, gee, Stitch. Banks can be so obnoxious, can't they? As to computer-controlled, it reminds me of this show I was watching on Netflix that is kind of a take on Stirling's "Dies the Fire" series. Anyway, a one of the characters, a Gates/Jobs-type-guy, feels pretty useless without computers and Internet. The episode that gave a bit of his backstory was my favorite.

Another genealogy vent here. I got my greatx3 grandfather's marriage licenses (or copies thereof, I think) from the New Orleans Public Library, who were nice and speedy as possible in getting me those ($2 a pop because his first wife died young and he remarried, so there were 2).

Anyway, I was so disappointed! There was really no information on there pertinent to what wanted beyond what I found in the online index. No names of the bride or groom's parents. The witness wasn't even one of my greatx3 grandfather's brothers, so I can't even be 100% sure I got the right guy, though I am reasonably certain. *Sigh* I really wanted his first wife (my greatx3 grandmother's) mother's name.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #23038
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Speaking of flu shots .... like I mentioned in another thread, I got my flu shot yesterday. Pinched when I got it but have felt absolutely no soreness since. That's the good part.

I don't mean to start any kind of social, political or moral discussion or argument with this rant, but I just don't understand the logic of the following:

We've been hearing a lot about the new 4-strain flu shots available this year, but not every place giving flu shots will have it. Some places will still only have the 3-strain shots. Starting next year ALL shots will be a 4-strain variety I hear.

So when I go to get my shot I ask about it. Yes they have it. But ... my fabulous employer-paid health insurance coverage, which has pretty much, through all of health insurance history, and from everyone I know who's ever had it (including myself who's had their coverage for years); and I don't want to mention any names (Blue Cross Blue Shield) will not pay for the 4-strain shot. They'll only pay for the 3-strain shot!

GREAT! I got the 3-strain shot.

What is the point in not covering the better shot, I wonder? The price difference is not that great. It will cost them more if I happen to get that 4th strain of flu this year and need to see a doctor for it. How dumb. They'll be covering it NEXT year because that's all that will be available from what I hear.

I'm sure there's some very logical explanation for not paying for the "upgrade" but I can't imagine what that could be. You would think that for a $350 per month premium per employee, that BCBS could cover a $39 4-strain flu shot.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #23039
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Another genealogy vent here. I got my greatx3 grandfather's marriage licenses (or copies thereof, I think) from the New Orleans Public Library, who were nice and speedy as possible in getting me those ($2 a pop because his first wife died young and he remarried, so there were 2).

Anyway, I was so disappointed! There was really no information on there pertinent to what wanted beyond what I found in the online index. No names of the bride or groom's parents. The witness wasn't even one of my greatx3 grandfather's brothers, so I can't even be 100% sure I got the right guy, though I am reasonably certain. *Sigh* I really wanted his first wife (my greatx3 grandmother's) mother's name.
Do you have online access to census records? You seem to be in to genealogy pretty deep, so I would imagine you already checked census records for the names you need IF they would be listed in the 1850 census or later where individual names were listed. I'm sure you've already checked every avenue available. I was just wondering.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #23040
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I spent almost all of the past year dealing with frozen shoulder on the right side. It has pretty much resolved (with a lot of pt visits) but now the left one is freezing, even more painfully than the first one did. Lots of different opinions around about treatment, but pt helped me get through the last one (and I really like my therapist) so I'm going that route with this one. Except today I came home from pt and burst into tears, because the session was soooo painful.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness