Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
Thoughts and questions about my new 600

1) I'm transitioning from using a 1st-gen iPod Touch as my reader to using a PRS-600. So far, I like it, but I'm sort of re-learning how to engage with the device. I keep wanting to squeeze my fingers to make things bigger or smaller, haha. That's Apple, being elegant.

2) Up until now, I've been converting random documents using the Stanza software, in order to get them to the ePub format, which I can drag directly into the iPod using iPhone Explorer. The Sony Reader Library software is a lot more friendly than this, mostly.

3) I have a handful of ePubs, PDFs, and RTFs that display incorrect author/title info in my book list on the Library and the reader itself. I'd like to know how to correct this. Does anyone know?

4) What about HTML documents? I'd like to grab the text of longer articles I find online, and get it onto the 600, so I can read it there. What's the best way to do this?

5) I have a lot of .lit files. Stanza can convert them to ePub-- one at a time. Does anyone know of a way I could do this in bulk? I'd rather not sit around all day saving a bunch of Mark Twain stuff individually.

6) I really dig the dictionary. This is something I could never seem to get set up correctly on the iPod (where I'm using Stanza).

7) How about bookmarking? I can't seem to figure out how to mark my place when I'm through reading. I've noticed that the reader will remember the last place I was, but what about making multiple bookmarks in a single text? How is this accomplished?

7.5) Can I make folders on the Reader? I'd like to stick all my geeky "how-to" electrical stuff in a folder so I don't have to browse through it to get to my other books. This would be super-cool.

8) Who the heck picked out the 11 free books the 600 comes with? That's the most haphazard collection I ever saw!

9) I'd really like to take advantage of the digital library checkout thingie, but none of my local libraries is taking advantage of it. This sucks.

10) I'd be really cheesed if people would write back to me about these thoughts and questions. I read through the forum pretty deeply, but still figured this might be the best way to address these few problems. Thanks!

--Dave

Last edited by Daephex; 02-14-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something, figured I'd add it in.
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
3) You have to set the properties of the pdf files according to your needs. There should be plenty of tools out there that can do this (or go with acrobat).

4) There is some online service that takes your links and makes readable documents for the reader, allthough I dislike that you have to sign up there. Otherwise, if doable for you, you can also just copy and paste the text to a file and make any readable document for the reader.

7) Either double tap the right upper corner or use options. There is a menu point that brings up some kind of a sub menu where you can just bookmark or take annotations.

8) Mine didn't come with preinstalled books.

9) Same here.

10) Sure, I just did :-)

Edit: Duuh, forgot the 7.5) In the library program just click on the + on the left side of the bottom. This creates a collection. Name it as you like and drag and drop all the books you want there to the collection. It's not a folder though. It's a tag. So you can tag one book with "Novels" and "allready read" or so and it'll show up in both collections. The book icon on the reader allways shows the total number of books available on the reader.

Have fun!

Last edited by Mike_73; 02-15-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Do yourself a big favor and use calibre for document conversions (can even use it to transfer over to your 600). It will also let you edit the metadata and set up tags (collections). There's also a great forum for it on here where you can get lots of assistance.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Calibre looks like it's going to be a really helpful program, thanks for mentioning it! I'm getting some of my books into there-- all I gotta say is that this guy should have designed iTunes!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I've been looking at calibre too, but I don't like having too many programs on my pc. File conversion was never a biggy. I think pdfs (besides text only books) work pretty good on the 600 without conversion.
Initially I just dragged and dropped files on SD-Card to get files on my reader. Since finding out that files opened on the reader respond much faster when stored on the readers internal memory, I just drag and drop files on the reader. I use the library software only to create collections. I connect the reader, the library opens, I just drag the files to the according collections I created. So in other words, I still drag and drop and the library is somewhat of a explorer-extension. If explorer would have the function to tag files for the reader, I would go with that rather than installing Sonys proprietary software. I know that organizing files with database programs may be great and good, but I still prefer organizing my files by folders and filenames (on mp3s metadata usually works ok, but still there are mix-ups with album art and tags that show up, even if I use original manufacturers software for loading the player).

But that's just me. Maybe I'm just too old-fashioned for my age.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

I think you'd really dig the Calibre software, Mike. I generally prefer a drag-and-drop method for managing collections of files as well, but I think you'd be better served by giving it a shot.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
usfbull
usfbull began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I use calibre to convert my rss feeds into epubs that can be read on the reader, it's pretty cool, though some sites don't render well.
usfbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daephex View Post
4) What about HTML documents? I'd like to grab the text of longer articles I find online, and get it onto the 600, so I can read it there. What's the best way to do this?
Using recipes in Calibre and either Instapaper or Read it Later will allow you to grab articles then download them in a format for reading on your 600. Both of these recipes are already in Calibre not under a country but under Unknown in the recipe list.

I don't use either but there are plenty of folks in the Custom Recipes Sticky in the Calibre forum that do.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote