Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
readingzombie
readingzombie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thinking about buying a Kindle 2

Hello,

I am getting ready to purchase a new ereader very soon and am leaning towards the Kindle 2. I read on a netbook right now, but have used a Palm T/X and a Franklin eBookman in the past. I'm familiar with converting formats, so I'm not worried about being "locked in" to one.

I do have a few concerns regarding the Kindle 2 and I'm hoping some users will share their experience(s) with me.

* Privacy. Can Amazon really see what personal content I have on my reader at all times? If I have de-DRM'd content on there, can they see it? Can they remove it?

* The screen. I've read several reports about how fragile the screen is. Are these really just isolated reports, or is this really a common occurance? If you've had a screen break, how did it break and how was Amazon customer service to work with regarding this issue?

* The size. How big is the Kindle compared to say my old Palm T/X or the Sony Readers? I want something smaller than my netbook because I'm tired of lugging it around, and it's clunky to use when all I want to do is read a book. Am I going to be able to carry the Kindle in my purse/bag? With the (possible) screen issues would I even want to carry it in my purse/bag? What kind of protective case would you recommend for it?

* I really want a device that just reads eBooks, but if it could play MP3's as well that would be a bonus. Can the K2 do this? If so, how difficult is it to get (and use) the music on the device, and does listening to music deplete the battery more rapidly?

* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?"

What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without? What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?

Thank you in advance for all of your thoughts and advice!
readingzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, readingzombie.

I can't answer all your questions, but others will chime in Im' sure.

First of all.......I doubt Amazon cares what you have on your reader. The instances of 'removal' you may have heard of occurred only twice..... when illegal content was uploaded to Amazon via third parties, and the legal owners requested Amazon remove it. They did remove it, AND refunded money to anyone concerned. There was also an instance where they offered a $30 GC as an apology to everyone concerned. Again........these were illegal uploads. I don't have a problem with what they did. You may have.

2) Any book reader screen is fragile.

3) I carry my Kindle in my purse all the time. I keep it in my m-edge cover, have had it for a year and a half, and have never had a problem.

4) I don't know. I use mine to read books.

5 You can use "whispernet" only with Amazon.......or with the down loadable catalog available here, or at feedbooks.com. (public domain books). any purchases from anywhere else will be downloaded to your computer, then sideloaded to your Kindle. Easy peasy.

6)I'm happy with what my Kindle does........reads books.

Enjoy the forums, and remember, if you buy the Kindle, you have 30 days to return it if you are not satisfied, no questions asked, just pay return shipping.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-13-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: sp.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I just so happen to have a Palm T|X and a netbook sitting near my computer

For anything that you send to your kindle wirelesly will cost you money. I could just send it to your kindle through USB and save yourself some cash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02001.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	43342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02002.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	667.7 KB
ID:	43343  

Last edited by rcuadro; 01-13-2010 at 06:58 PM.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
* Privacy. Theoretically, yes, but I doubt they care. How can they 'know' where you got a book, since you can buy books from elsewhere. If you did de-drm a book, it would not be exactly the same as the original.

* The screen. Screen breakage is not covered under the warranty, as that only covers manufacturing defects. You can buy a breakage warranty from SquareTrade, if you buy it within thirty days of purchase, I think.

* The size. The size is in the User's Guide (K2): 8 inches by 5.3 inches by 0.36 inches (203.2mm x 134.6mm x 9.1mm). I carry mine in my purse all the time, and I have a K1, which is slightly bigger.

* MP3: yes, it plays mp3 files, but it will, of course, deplete the battery at least somewhat more. If you use the speakers, I bet it depletes it faster than with earbuds. The mp3 player is primitive, just in order of the addition to the Kindle.

* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?" Yes, 15 cents per megabyte (most books are less than a megabyte). Fictionwise and Baen Books can do this. I don't think you can buy books from BoB for the Kindle (they use Secure Mobipocket), unless you strip the DRM. But, you don't have to use Whispernet to get the books on the Kindle. Just use USB.

What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without?
The ability to increase the font size.

What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't? For a K2, probably some of the functions that the K1 had that the K2 doesn't: justification changing, flipping multiple screens at a time, etc.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingzombie View Post
* Privacy. Can Amazon really see what personal content I have on my reader at all times? If I have de-DRM'd content on there, can they see it? Can they remove it?
I don't think they care. If they did we would be hearing reports from people with deDRM'd book having issues. There have been none.

Quote:
* The screen. I've read several reports about how fragile the screen is. Are these really just isolated reports, or is this really a common occurance? If you've had a screen break, how did it break and how was Amazon customer service to work with regarding this issue?
All current e-ink screens (except the not yet released Que) have glass substrates, so they are all fragile. You just have to treat them with respect. I have dropped my K2 face down while in a cover and I've even sat on it (and I am not petit) and it's still going strong.

Quote:
* The size. How big is the Kindle compared to say my old Palm T/X or the Sony Readers? I want something smaller than my netbook because I'm tired of lugging it around, and it's clunky to use when all I want to do is read a book. Am I going to be able to carry the Kindle in my purse/bag? With the (possible) screen issues would I even want to carry it in my purse/bag? What kind of protective case would you recommend for it?
A six inch screen is a six inch screen no matter the ebook reader. It's the real estate around the six screen that varies from reader to reader. I carry my K2 in my purse and backpack all the time. If you use a teeny tiny little handbag, you may have an issue but you also don't have to carry a huge bag.

As along as you get a cover for it you should be good. I personally am not font of the slip cases because once it's out of the slip case it has no protection.

Quote:
* I really want a device that just reads eBooks, but if it could play MP3's as well that would be a bonus. Can the K2 do this? If so, how difficult is it to get (and use) the music on the device, and does listening to music deplete the battery more rapidly?
if you have not visited Amazon to see the features of the Kindle 2 , you should really take a look (and watch the videos). Yes, the Kindle does have an mp3 player. It will deplete the battery faster but I couldn't tell you fast as I don't use that feature.

Quote:
* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?"
Yes you would pay a 15 cent per 1MB fee (rounded up) if you have content sent to your Kindle from a a source other than Amazon. It would be better to use the USB cable in those instances.

Quote:
What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without? What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?
I love the keyboard because it gives me access to search within the Kindle and the Kindle store (from the Kindle) and the occasional foray with the Kindle web browser. I love having page turn button on both sides so that I can use either hand when reading. The buttons are also in a comfortable location for my thumbs. I love that 95%+ of the time I can find the books I want to read on Amazon at a good price without having to search around.

I do wish there was a way to manage books better on the Kindle itself because when you have a lot of books you *have* to use the search function. We need either tagging or folder abilities.

Good luck with your decision.

Edit: Susan reminded me, I love the 6 font sizes as well. My eyes are old and reading on my K2 is much easier than reading a pbook.

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-13-2010 at 07:05 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
* Privacy. Can Amazon really see what personal content I have on my reader at all times? If I have de-DRM'd content on there, can they see it? Can they remove it? I think they can see it, but I don't really have my whispernet on all that much. I use Calibre to manage my books, so I usually don't have very many on my kindle at one time, so I don't worry about it.

I just had a screen on my K1 break (I think). I had had the kindle for over a year, and was itching to buy the kindle 2 anyway, so I just went ahead and got one. I get a really nice cover for my K1 and my K2, which I think helps protect it.

* The size. How big is the Kindle compared to say my old Palm T/X or the Sony Readers? I want something smaller than my netbook because I'm tired of lugging it around, and it's clunky to use when all I want to do is read a book. Am I going to be able to carry the Kindle in my purse/bag? With the (possible) screen issues would I even want to carry it in my purse/bag? What kind of protective case would you recommend for it?I carry mine in my purse. I had an Oberon cover for my K1, and I bought a Belkin cover for my K2, because I like to read my K2 naked.

* I really want a device that just reads eBooks, but if it could play MP3's as well that would be a bonus. Can the K2 do this? If so, how difficult is it to get (and use) the music on the device, and does listening to music deplete the battery more rapidly?I don't know, I never used the music feature.

* If I shop at Fictionwise, or BoB, do I have to pay a fee to get the book onto my Kindle via the "whispernet?"Amazon does charge to transfer documents not purchased from Amazon via whispernet. However, since books bought somewhere else need to be converted in order to work on the kindle, I transfer via computer.

What is the one thing you love most about your Kindle that you can't live without? What is the one thing you wish your Kindle had/did that it doesn't?I can't live without my kindle. I love to read, and I am hooked on taking my books everywhere I go. I am hooked on how easy it is to read in bed (no rustling of pages, no adjusting the light with each page turn.) I love samples. I love reading library books on my kindle. I can check out books at 2am, thanks to MobileRead.

I would usually say the one thing I wish it had was categories. But I love Calibre so much, I don't care anymore. I just look in Calibre, and decide the top 5 books in each category I want on my kindle. So I guess the only thing I wish it had was a user replaceable battery. But with the way electronics change these days, I will probably want a new model long before the battery dies.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
readingzombie
readingzombie began at the beginning.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! They were all very helpful! I had to laugh when I saw the pictures as I'm typing this on my Acer netbook, so it was great to see what I'd be toting around in comparison to this. I'll let you all know what I decide to purchase. Soon!
readingzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
newebookuser
newebookuser began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post

I love reading library books on my kindle. I can check out books at 2am, thanks to MobileRead.
sorry to threadjack but can u please explain how this is done. thanks
newebookuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Check out these threads on MR:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39423
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4023
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
ConnieL429
ConnieL429 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had my K2 for a relatively short time and I can say that I am very happy with it. Along with it, I bought the neoprene case because it zips it completely shut. Some people want a case that stays on the device when they read it, I chose the complete closure over that. I actually slip the K in and out of it but I'm ALWAYS careful with my electronic devices. I just happen to like the feel of holding it unencumbered. The neoprene case is padded so I feel pretty safe throwing in a purse, bag or whatever. I can also lay it around and feel relatively secure in its safety. As for content, I download mostly from Amazon so I can't say about that but I also have audio books on it from Audible.com and they sound pretty darn good. I don't think I'll be putting MP3s on there as i don't see the point of it. I can't listen to music while I read - my old feable brain just can't multi-task to that extent.
ConnieL429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieL429 View Post
I just happen to like the feel of holding it unencumbered.
That is so much better than what I usually say "I like to read it naked."
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
In terms of privacy, Microsoft have far more invasive software within their operating systems last I checked. Basically they have the capability to report back the entire contents of your machine to their central server. If Apple couldn't do the same I would be surprised. Then there is all of the spyware which can easily creep onto your PC. Then there is the web and the numerous ways a machine can be compromised.

So compared to those privacy concerns, Amazon having the ability to look into my Kindle isn't a huge deal just yet. Theoretically they could do it, but at this stage they aren't using it to chase people over DRM issues, so it's not a big concern to me. If you have documents with valuable personal data I wouldn't keep them on the Kindle just in case*.

I think the other responses have answered the question pretty well!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
ConnieL429
ConnieL429 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
That is so much better than what I usually say "I like to read it naked."
Oh don't kid yourself. I've used that exact phrasing myself. I ALSO like it's "naked" feeling. Nothing like the feel of a great little electronic device sitting naked in your hand. Ok, so maybe I'm getting carried away a tad but still.....
ConnieL429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Looks like all your questions have been answered but I'll just go on and add my $0.02 anyway.

As for privacy and de-DRMed books, I have plenty of DRM-free books on my Kindle (all legally acquired) that are not available without DRM. I have never had a problem. That's not to say I never would, of course, but I think this is a can of worms Amazon would be quite reticent to open. Look at the kerfuffle over them removing the Orwell? If they started meddling in people's personal files, there would be hell to pay. Besides, if we take the music industry as an example, since they've been at this longer, the copyright holders so far have been most interested in people who are uploading files. It's not worth it to come after an individual with one or two of their books when they might have a hard time proving it was a pirate copy.

As for fragility, it has a glass substrate. People have dropped them and had them be fine. They have also dropped them and had them break. I recommend a fairly stiff cover and a decent amount of caution. I've had mine over two years and it's fine. I don't carry it with me every day, just when I know I'll likely have some free time to read. It fits in my handbag but I tend to buy larger handbags. I can carry my wallet, mobile, glasses case, sunglasses, umpteen lipsticks, a bajillion tiny scraps of paper that seem to be breeding with each other and my Kindle in a medium-sized hobo bag with no trouble.

I never use my Kindle to play MP3s but that's because I don't tend to listen to music when I'm reading. I find it distracting. Plus, I'd have to pick the soundtrack to go with the book's mood otherwise it would detract from the story for me. So I'd have to read the book to make the soundtrack to read the book. You see where this is going. Anyway, the only warning I would give about it with the K2 is that you have a little under 2GB. That's thousands of books but it will fill up fast with songs.

I have to pick one favorite thing? I can't, but I can give you a short list. I'll stick to things that many readers don't have. Search, dictionary look up and annotation were three big reasons I bought the Kindle over its competitors at the time. Still, most devices do not let you do these simple things. Another big differentiator for me is the book sampling. Some other stores do this but the combination of samples and whispernet is a great service. Not only is it amazingly convenient, it keeps me from wasting money. I don't buy books without reading the samples first unless I'm out of the country (since I have the old Kindle without International wireless). This means I have a pretty darned good idea that I'm going to like the book. Back in my pbook days, I probably ended up not reading a good 20% of the books I bought. I'd read a page or two in the store. It would seem interesting and I'd buy it. Then I'd end up not liking it or sometimes never even starting it. I was trying to buy enough books to last me between trips. Sometimes my fancy for the book would pass and I'd never pick it up. That doesn't happen to me with the Kindle. I don't have to plan ahead to buy books. If I finish the sample and I'm nowhere near my computer, I can still buy the book and keep reading. When my husband was commuting by train, this was a huge deal for him.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. I love my Kindle but there are plenty of other great devices out there.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

As to dropping, mine slid off the bed the other night, and it wasn't in its cover. It fell on carpet, and it was fine. I was pretty shook up, though!