Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Now This Is What I Call An "Ehanced" Ebook!

I ran across this article on the GoodEreader blog: http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...ard-to-tablets

It's one of the best, most innovative examples I've seen of how enhanced e-books can provide an entirely new way to experience literature. It's currently available only on iTunes but the publisher says it will come to Amazon in mid-October.

From the publisher's press release: "For the first time, students and Shakespeare lovers alike can experience text and performance simultaneously. The new Wordplay Shakespeare series puts the Bard's words and filmed performances side by side in innovative versions of the plays created just for tablet computers....These are not your average Ebooks with mere words on a screen. Rather, Wordplay Shakespeare combines text, film, translation notes and other tools to reimagine the reading experience."

Here's the full press release: http://thenewbookpress.com/TNBP/Press.html . There's also an intro video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjCsNcfcZeA
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It sounds like the whole multi-media encyclopedia concept that appears to have died the dodo. Give me the book and the Web itself is filled with whatever side-commentary and other stuff I could possibly need.

All this is effectively doing is making it so I can only hold a fraction of the books I used to hold on my device. I know memory is cheap, but then why does 16GB more cost you an extra $100 ($50 some places now).
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is an excellent idea. I'm a big Shakespeare fan, and I've long held that it can really only be properly appreciated in performance.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
It sounds like the whole multi-media encyclopedia concept that appears to have died the dodo. Give me the book and the Web itself is filled with whatever side-commentary and other stuff I could possibly need.

All this is effectively doing is making it so I can only hold a fraction of the books I used to hold on my device. I know memory is cheap, but then why does 16GB more cost you an extra $100 ($50 some places now).
But that's you. You are free to avoid the enhanced version; you have other options. But this approach to Shakespeare could certainly be useful for many people.

I learned to enjoy Shakespeare largely because of a great teacher who had us read along as we listened to recordings of great actors performing the plays. A play is not intended to be read, but to be experienced.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is a good idea. I like the concept as long as they keep the file size reasonable. However, I prefer professional Shakespeare actors in period dress rather than students wearing 21st century clothing!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It is a good idea. I like the concept as long as they keep the file size reasonable. However, I prefer professional Shakespeare actors in period dress rather than students wearing 21st century clothing!
Expecting the Royal Shakespeare Company in a $9.99 book is perhaps a little optimistic .
Old 09-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Expecting the Royal Shakespeare Company in a $9.99 book is perhaps a little optimistic .

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If you wanna watch a movie or go to a play watch it, do it.
If you wanna read, read.
Shakespeare was not meant for reading.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The language can be difficult for a modern audience, and personally I find it helpful to "follow along" with a text while watching a DVD or listening to an audio version of a play (not in a theatre, though). Having video in a Shakespeare text strikes me as an excellent way of bringing the text to life.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
The language can be difficult for a modern audience, and personally I find it helpful to "follow along" with a text while watching a DVD or listening to an audio version of a play (not in a theatre, though). Having video in a Shakespeare text strikes me as an excellent way of bringing the text to life.
I agree, I think this is really cool and a good use of the available technology.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Other interesting examples of ``enhanced'' ebooks:

- http://www.bemboszoo.com --- animated Flash w/ animal sounds, on-line version of a printed children's book

- http://theater.nytimes.com/library/c...6mirapaul.html --- CD-ROM version of the Codex Leicester

- http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/jav.../elements.html --- ``Joyce's Java version of _Euclid's Elements_'' --- all figures are interactive, but constrained to stay valid.

- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elem...364147847?mt=8 --- The Elements: A Visual Exploration --- coffee table book as iPad app

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Books_series --- Living Books interactive children's books

- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122195 --- our own Carmenchu's version of H. Beam Piper's short story ``Murder in the Gunroom'' which is a favourite of mine --- his version adds explanatory notes on firearms technology and other images.

Last edited by WillAdams; 09-27-2013 at 07:52 AM.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Which is why I read his works outloud and encouraged my classmates to do the same.

The concept sounds interesting and I'll look at it but it is not like it is that difficult to read out loud.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
So... having a movie with subtitles is old hat, but having the subtitles with a movie is something new?

(Just kidding.)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Which is why I read his works outloud and encouraged my classmates to do the same.

The concept sounds interesting and I'll look at it but it is not like it is that difficult to read out loud.
It's quite difficult for many people to get the rhythm of the lines right so that it actually makes sense. A significant proportion of Shakespeare's plays are written in blank verse - you can't just speak them as if they were prose (or at least not if you want to get the impact of what he actually wrote).
Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Sounds like an excellent idea. However, I too feel that Shakespeare can really only be appreciated in performance and am very glad we never had to read anything like his plays in school. It's hard to see how you could end up being anything but turned off Shakespeare completely by being forced to read his plays without actually being motivated to do so.

If this helps a few more youngsters become acquainted with the Bard and makes him a bit less arduous for the remainder, then that's surely a good thing.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote