Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
evan2000
evan2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
NY Times Price going up a lot I think

So this past weekend I get the email below about the subscription to the NY Times going up from $13.99/m to $19.99/m

This is turning me off to this ebook stuff.

----

We are writing to notify you that the publisher/distributor of the periodical The New York Times has increased the subscription price to $19.99 effective as of 04-01-2010.

As a valued current subscriber you will continue at your current rate and pay $13.99 for another 6 months. After 6 months your price will go up to $19.99.

If you wish to cancel your subscription, please sign on to your account and click on Manage Subscriptions in your Digital Management section. Or you may cancel your subscription by dialing 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) and selecting Option 5 from the Menu options. If you are contacting us from outside the United States, please dial 201-559-3882 to speak with one of our representatives.

Thank you for shopping with us.

-- Barnes & Noble
evan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
They are hurting for money
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
That's the NY Times fault, not Barnes & Noble.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
pbennett
Enthusiast
pbennett began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 500, Amazon Kindle
Price went up for the Kindle as well (with the same 6 month timeline). I canceled my subscription immediately. I liked the NYTimes, but $240/year for an electronic only subscription!? They're nuts.
pbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbennett View Post
Price went up for the Kindle as well (with the same 6 month timeline). I canceled my subscription immediately. I liked the NYTimes, but $240/year for an electronic only subscription!? They're nuts.
How much would a year's subscription to the paper version of it cost?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
I used to have it home delivered 7 days a week to my door.. approx $200 per 8 weeks.... the newstand price is approx 14/week
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
There was an article on engadget (I think it was on WSJ) that in the case of that particular periodical it was cheaper to subscribe to a printed version and get complimentary online access than to buy an iPad version.

With such a mindset of content providers, it'd take us a while to get to the wonderful world of all digital content on any device at any time.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
egeist
Nook user
egeist began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
home delivery in Silver Spring, MD

I was paying almost $700 per year for home delivery. The first price on the Times for the Nook was $24.99/mo. Even at that high price, I would have saved enough to buy the Nook within a year. So, I can't complain when it goes to $19.99. As it is, I am lined up back to Feb. with unread Sunday magazines.

I will consider switching back temporarily when one of those six-month special home delivery subscriptions costs less than the Nook sub.
egeist is offline   Reply With Quote