Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Nook Software Update coming on Tuesday 22nd?

Greetings!

Just saw this piece of news on Engadget :

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/20/b...e-sounds-like/

"A tipster who has proven to be reliable in the past says that Barnes and Noble's Nook will get a software update this week -- most likely around Tuesday. The update itself looks to be fairly large, improving some of the major issues we've had with the e-reader -- like page refresh rate and a lot of other little performance issues. Our tipster also says they've played with an updated unit and that it's much, much better, so we're interested to see for ourselves when the update goes down."

Among the bug fixes :

*Page turning and formatting of downloaded e-books has been improved.

*Start-up time for My Library, The Daily, and Setting has been improved.

*Barnes & Noble in-store content and promotions roll-out is fully supported.

*Launches reader immediately on Select from The Daily and My Library for books and subscriptions that have already been downloaded.

*Reading Now takes customer straight into the last book page read without reformatting the content.

*Displays the correct time on the status bar.

*No longer unprompted to the home screen when pressing the arrow or the select button.

*Displays correct error-message for pre-ordering books that are not yet available.

Last edited by Squirsier; 12-20-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
DaFlake
DaFlake began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (the Mrs's) and my Iphone
Good, it can use an upgrade. The current firmware is horrible.
DaFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
This is fantastic! I will POSSIBLY update the nook as soon as I get it!
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Looks like some folks have gotten the 1.1.0 update already.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...ate/m-p/432509
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
BigHeadDog
BigHeadDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Nook
i just fire up my wifi and choose shop and then the update is downloading...fantastic...
done updating and the color screen is much much responsive than the previous version...

Last edited by BigHeadDog; 12-21-2009 at 05:59 AM.
BigHeadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadDog View Post
i just fire up my wifi and choose shop and then the update is downloading...fantastic...
done updating and the color screen is much much responsive than the previous version...
i just tried what you did and my update is now downloading...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Mine just finished updating fifteen minutes ago... it seems like a whole new device.

There is a clock now visible in the reader.

Turning the page forward is very snappy in comparison to 1.0, but backwards it seems to still be laggy.

The general menu bugginess seems to have been destroyed with a hammer.

Much less time is spent formatting, you can go straight to some books.

I larb it, very very much so.
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I didn't notice any visible improvement in the page flipping, but always visible clock is a nice touch. Good that they also moved the page count down to the progress bar where it belonged.
They did not add go to page, which kind of sucked, and from what I've seen they did not fix the battery drain problem, I actually suspect for most users it will be worse after the update (at least boot up would drain more battery than with 1.0).
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful on the update. Seems they are working to correct the issues.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
For some reason, my fully registered and connected (tried via WiFi and 3G) isn't updating (or I'm too impatient), found that BN has updated their support site with information on manually updating via USB.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/s...anual-download

Quote:
How do I get the new nook software manually?

If you don't have a registered nook, or if you don't have any wireless connectivity, you can side-load the new nook software to your nook. Follow the steps below:
1) Connect your nook using the USB cable in the package to your computer. A new, removable nook drive should show up in My Computer. You should also see a "USB Mode" image on your nook's E Ink display.

2) Download the software update file to your computer.

3)Drag and drop the downloaded file to the root directory of the nook drive.
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pre...avo_update.dat

4) Eject or Safely Remove the nook drive after the file transfer is complete.

5) Your nook will recognize the file and proceed to prepare and install the updates.

Please do not power off your nook during the installation process.
Once the installation is completed, your nook will automatically go to the Home screen.
Congratulations, your nook has been updated!

For additional help, please call Customer Service nook support at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665).
Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Wow. Nice speed increase. The LCD interface is much more responsive, about my only quibble with the launch firmware. Keep in mind the Nook was my first reader so I didn't find the speed bad at all. Now it's greatly approved.

I'm sure the naysayers will find something else to bitch about, though!
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Anyone else notice that when you're selecting a book in your library now you don't have to select "read" after selecting the book from the list? It just launches right into the book now.

It also doesn't do "Formatting" after the first time it opens the book, unless you change the font or something like that. That should help speed up launch times for books too. I assume it store the formatting data now, whereas before it had to rebuild it each time you opened the book.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I see a speed difference on page refreshes. Definitely an improvement. I expect more updates in the future but my guess is that B&N got this update out quick because for a lot of us who got their nooks on the 9th or 10th the 14 day return window was running out. Hopefully soon we will get some way of managing side loaded content. With the new update the nook does not sort books by author but instead by date loaded. The most recent book you have loaded will appear at the end.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2
Here's a follow-up from Gizmodo :

http://gizmodo.com/5431368/nook-firm...its-no-miracle

"According to those lucky enough to have a Nook, firmware 1.1 is live now. Forums are full of sporadic claims like faster page turns and tweaked file handling. Have you noticed anything special?

Because in the words of our own Wilson Rothman, "It feels like not much has changed." The only thing he notices off the bat is that returning to the book you're reading, after going to the main menu, is quicker, though it's still just as slow to load a new book up. As for page turns, he's still seeing the 1-2 second page turns he saw before, and the highlights-and-notes bug he uncovered during his review seems to be unrepaired."
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sounds as though there is happiness in Nookville tonight
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote