Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
What e-books do you have on pre-order?

I know many don't see the point of pre-ordering something digital, but I have a terrible memory so I mainly do it so I don't forget things coming out that sound interesting. Here's what I currently have, all on Kindle:

Quote:
October 31, 2013
The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling - David Shoemaker

November 5, 2013
A Dance of Blades (Shadowdance) - David Dalglish

December 3, 2013
Cloak and Spider: A Shadowdance Novella - David Dalglish

December 3, 2013
A Dance of Mirrors (Shadowdance) - David Dalglish

January 14, 2014
Dawn of Swords (The Breaking World) - David Dalglish

February 18, 2014
The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage Trilogy) - Brian McClellan

March 4, 2014
Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) - Brandon Sanderson

March 11, 2014
Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-fated but Unforgettable Montreal Expos - Jonah Keri

April 22, 2014
Wrath of Lions (The Breaking World) - David Dalglish

May 20, 2014
A Dance of Shadows (Shadowdance) - David Dalglish
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I don't remember what I have on preorder.

That's the whole point of preordering ebooks (for me). I get to forget all about them until they magically appear on my device like christmas morning.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I only pre-order when there is a promotion and I think the price will increase closer to release day. Right now I have World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2) by Susan Ee pre-ordered because it was priced at $1.99.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I don't tend to preorder, mostly because I already have a reasonably large To Read pile.

What I do though is when a book is due out that I know I will want to read at some point, is add it to the price tracker on ereader iq - that way I don't buy or preorder stuff at "hardcover" price when I'd only get round to reading it after it's dropped to "paperback" price
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
A couple of cookbook freebies from Amazon. I don't usually preorder.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I have 300 unread ebooks. When I see a book coming out that I really want I put it on a wishlist, or put a note in my calendar, add an alert to luzme or ereaderiq. Otherwise I may end up paying full price for something that I could buy in a sale before I get around to reading it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I have 300 unread ebooks. When I see a book coming out that I really want I put it on a wishlist, or put a note in my calendar, add an alert to luzme or ereaderiq. Otherwise I may end up paying full price for something that I could buy in a sale before I get around to reading it.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's the whole point of preordering ebooks (for me). I get to forget all about them until they magically appear on my device like christmas morning.
Yep.. This..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
EbookQueen36
EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EbookQueen36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I don't preorder, but do take advantage of Amazon's wishlist capabilities.

Just bought Grisham's new one this week. My all-time favorite author! I buy ALL his books!
EbookQueen36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Pretty much the same for me. I'll add the book to my Amazon wish list, and then add to eReaderiq. I also always check to see if the ebook is available from the public library before I buy.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
A bunch of things right now, most of them various Doctor Who short stories I'll be sure to forget about otherwise (and none of which are particularly likely to drop in price in any noticeable fashion so having them on ereaderiq makes little sense). The rest are new books in series that I will actually want to read on release day or as soon as possible after that.

November 5, 2013 Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles)
November 7, 2013 Unsouled (Unwind Trilogy)
November 19, 2013 World After (Penryn & the End of Days, Book 2)
November 23, 2013 Eleventh Doctor: 50th Anniversary (Doctor Who Digital)
November 26, 2013 Wild Justice: A Nadia Stafford Novel
December 5, 2013 Doctor Who: The Death Pit (Time Trips)
January 7, 2014 The Almost Girl
January 9, 2014 Doctor Who: Into the Nowhere (Time Trips)
February 6, 2014 Doctor Who: Keeping Up with the Joneses (Time Trips)
March 4, 2014 Half-Off Ragnarok: An Incryptid Novel
March 6, 2014 Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
wish list
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I use my wish lists for things of the "hmm, sounds possibly interesting, maybe some day, especially if it happens to get cheaper" kind of books.

I have several hundred books on my wish lists and I occasionally go and cull them (of books that have stopped sounding interesting) and also to see if anything there catches my eye more than it did before.

So for me, a wish list is for the "maybe" kinds of things - and also for books that cannot be preordered yet (e.g. hardcover is listed, Kindle version isn't yet).

I can't really see why I should wishlist books that I will read, with certainty, as soon as they are released, when there is a far more convenient option to just preorder them - and at least on Amazon, this may well mean that I'll also get to take advantage of any (often temporary) price drop between preordering and release.

I do see the point of wishlist instead of preordering for those who have long TBR lists (so do I, but some books take precedence) and don't really care enough to want any book immediately. The overwhelming majority of books I read fall into that group, too. But for those I count down days to? Those I can't WAIT to read? Those that I know I'll set everything else aside for in order to read it the moment it's out? Of course I'll preorder it - there's absolutely no reason not to, after all.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
The only e-book I have on pre-order is Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I preordered it because I thought the price might go higher upon release. I think the release date is in December 2013.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
What I do though is when a book is due out that I know I will want to read at some point, is add it to the price tracker on ereader iq - that way I don't buy or preorder stuff at "hardcover" price when I'd only get round to reading it after it's dropped to "paperback" price
I do exactly the same thing but then wait for it to drop from the paperback price to a sale price. I'll always have something else to read while I wait for it to feel like a bargain....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote