Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Since you also like SF, you should read The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (and the sequel 500 Years After). Brust is definitely on my favorite author list.
I can't believe I left off Steven Brust. The 5 books in the Khaavren Series is great along with the Vlad Taltos Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
Let's see...
Romance: Courtney Milan, Victoria Dahl.
YA: Jackson Pearce, Scott Westerfeld, Justine Larbalestier (Yeah, I checked the spelling on the last one.)
Horror: Stephen King, Joe Hill, and a newbie, indie guy named Jeff Menapace holds some promise.
Fantasy: George RR Martin
Paranormal: Jaye Wells
Historical Fiction: Philippa Gregory
Everything else: Dennis Lehane.

Last edited by MichelleR; 02-16-2012 at 08:08 AM.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #33
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-boiled pat View Post
i read everything king wrote right up until he punked out on the dark tower... after that, not so much.
His recent stuff has been pretty darned good.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #34
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
i read everything king wrote right up until he punked out on the dark tower... after that, not so much.
I agree, I hate the Dark Tower stuff. But more recent books have been good and very well written - he gets better every time. 11/22/63 was excellent, though not at all hard-boiled... (just reading Butcher's Moon by Stark, so I'm in that kind of a mood).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Since you also like SF, you should read The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (and the sequel 500 Years After). Brust is definitely on my favorite author list.
Haven't heard of it before, but it sounds pretty interesting. Thanks! It's definitely getting added to my list.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #36
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I agree, I hate the Dark Tower stuff. But more recent books have been good and very well written - he gets better every time. 11/22/63 was excellent, though not at all hard-boiled... (just reading Butcher's Moon by Stark, so I'm in that kind of a mood).
i liked that one so much i bought a signed first edition.
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #37
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i've been on the fence with that book, i'll get it today and give it a whirl.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #38
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleR View Post
His recent stuff has been pretty darned good.
i definitely liked under the dome more than cell... it was more like his early stuff.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #39
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok
...(just reading Butcher's Moon by Stark, so I'm in that kind of a mood).

Quote:
i liked that one so much i bought a signed first edition.
Nice . It's very good so far (only 10% of the way in), and is about double the length of many of his books, so I'm looking forward to a longer than usual ride.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #40
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I just bought Butcher's Moon. I hope it's good.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I just bought Butcher's Moon. I hope it's good.
You might want to read Slayground first, as there is a lot of backstory relevant to Butcher's Moon.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #42
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist

Quote:
You might want to read Slayground first, as there is a lot of backstory relevant to Butcher's Moon.
i think slayground was made into a movie too... can't remember the actor though.

peter something
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #43
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
i think slayground was made into a movie too... can't remember the actor though.

peter something
Peter Coyote
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001075/
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #44
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:

peter something
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Didn't know that. And transported to a UK setting. I'm going to keep an eye out for that one - if it's even half as a good as Lee Marvin in Point Blank it will be worth a watch.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #45
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
yeah i agree with you about burke, too bad he killed off Streak...
Doesn't matter - anything he writes, I'm there ...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote