Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
KDXG and K3

I wanted to share the following experience.

I have been a long time user/lover of my KDXG. I like the screen size and the feel that I'm reading a page that can comfortably display a pdf. However, recently I decided that I wanted a smaller reader to carry with me when I traveled. After looking at the Nook Touch I decided on the K3 for a wide variety of reasons.

The interesting thing is that I find that I'm reading a lot more. The K3 is easier to carry so I take it with me where I might have just left the KDXG behind. I also find that when I'm reading the typical mobi file I tend to grab the lighter and more comfortable little reader. Sure, I wish that it had one more inch of screen but, its size works.

I still love my KDXG for some tasks but, for the rest, my k3 does just fine.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Actually, I did basically the same thing although the K3 is to keep at my weekend house. The jetBook(5") is still the best for carrying around. The funny thing is that I enjoy both of them, for non-pdf books I even prefer the K3 because it fits my hands better and seems to have a faster page-turn and 3G response (maybe because I have so many more books loaded on the KDXG?). But pdf-reading is much easier to fit on the KDXG.

In any case - I really enjoy both of the Kindles!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
I started with a K2 and loved it until I saw my bro-in-law's DX. I then found a DXG on Craig's list for $225 with leather cover and sold the K2 on ebay for about $100 or so shortly after.

I snagged an enTourage Pocket eDGe on sale via Woot and played with it but decided it wasn't for me and sold it on ebay.

I read a mix of file formats including pdf and download daily news from Reuters and Science Daily via Calibre. I use Duokan for larger pdf files because it seems to choke less than the native firmware on large files.

I also store a lot of dental references on the device for chairside use- mostly manufacturer's data sheets covering proper use of different materials, usually in the form of 1 or 2 page pdf files. There are so many similar-but-slightly-different materials that it's hard to be sure unless you use a material every day. I prefer to check rather than make an error that might lead to reduced life of a restoration.

Last edited by Mark Rehorst; 09-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
No doubt. For larger layout PDF's the KDXG is the best thing going in e-ink. But for mobi flowed articles and books the K3 portability is very compelling. Right now I'm sitting at the office with my K3 nearby while my KDXG is sitting at home on my nightstand. If I didn't have the K3 I probably would not have a reader with me.

I am very fortunate to be able to afford the luxury of both. If I didn't and could only afford one, I think now I would choose the K3.

By the way...no interest in the tablet. Great for games, web browsing and magazines with pictures or drawings but, otherwise I can't stand reading on those lit displays.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote