Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Do you think there will be more E-Ink Kindles?

I'm not saying that I have any evidence that Amazon won't be putting out any more E-Ink Kindles, but their new "Kindle" being a color tablet makes me paranoid that that's where they are going from now on. I know B&N put out a new E-Ink Nook after their color one, so hopefully that will be true for Amazon as well.

What do the rest of you think? Real concern, or needless worry?
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kindle eink is not going away.

Amazon is all about content and $114 Kindles will see more sales than $250 tablets.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Yes. I'm sure they're not going to kill off the e-ink screens any time soon.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not unless they've solved the glare problem and not destroyed battery life. If they've done that then I'm on board for killing e-ink. Until that point, there's not a finer option for reading than e-ink on the deck at the cabin. I doubt Amazon would not make another e-ink reader. They really are the lower cost solution for those not wanting the extra functions.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
E-Ink itself will go color as soon as the technology allows it... which is only a matter of time.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

According to industry analyst 67% of eBooks sold in the USA are sold through Amazon. That means that about 2 out of every 3 eBooks sold in the USA are read on a Kindle or a device running a Kindle app. So I suspect at least half of all eBooks sold in the USA are read on Kindle eInk readers. I seriously doubt Amazon would discontinue a device that helped propel eBook sales beyond printed book sales!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
antario
antario began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hey all! There's already a color e-ink screen out there and it is absolutely awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it implemented by Amazon (youtube video from CES 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPE7RJvW_I )
antario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I promise.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antario View Post
Hey all! There's already a color e-ink screen out there and it is absolutely awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it implemented by Amazon (youtube video from CES 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxPE7RJvW_I )
It looks drab and faded to me. Not exactly awesome.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
antario
antario began at the beginning.

Well, it doesn't look faded to me anyway.
antario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Well, I didn't necessarily thing they would completely dump the E-Ink line, but rather just sell it "as is" and not continue to develop it. Hopefully it is a groundless concern, anyway! I have no interest in a LCD device for novel-reading, at least.
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by antario View Post
Well, it doesn't look faded to me anyway.
The word I'd use is 'desaturated'. The color 'active matrix film' is a layer on top of the normal Pearl eInk screen, which can only degrade the contrast for text.

But it's difficult to tell for sure from a poorly lit video. So far as I know it's only shipping in China right now.

All I'm saying is, I would not get your hopes up on this one.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My prediction, no new e-ink kindle till early spring 2012.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Reading on LCD sucks - and it's not even about the glare. It's backlit. I was reading on my iPad 2 a few nights ago and couldn't stand it after half an hour. I can read for hours on my Kindle. I just don't see it happening. They have a winning product.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelRenaud View Post
Reading on LCD sucks - and it's not even about the glare. It's backlit. I was reading on my iPad 2 a few nights ago and couldn't stand it after half an hour. I can read for hours on my Kindle. I just don't see it happening. They have a winning product.
At least for me, the problem with iPad is what we could today regard as its relatively low pixel density (about 133ppi). Kindle/NookColor are 167 or so (my Xoom tablet is 160). Text is noticeably sharper (you would need 20% longer arms to make the iPad appear as sharp), making it easier for the eye to distinguish letter/word forms. I actually think the iPhone/iPod4g is a better reading device in some respects than the current iPad due to the 326ppi density and the minimal weight (at least until it comes to reading PDFs or digital magazines, where higher resolution is essential).

Whatever iPad 3 is, you can bet it will have higher pixel density and will be significantly better for reading text. I figure they will shrink it down to 8" with the same 1024x768 resolution, making it more ergonomic, and maybe also have a 'high def' 10" model with greater resolution.

So I hope the next eInk Kindle will have a higher ppi screen, at least 200ppi.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote