Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #91
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
I can add the url of any other search engine as a bookmark and avoid Google.

I've done this on Android devices. On the computer, I use Pale Moon and I can just delete Google from the search engine list and add the search engines of my choice.

I just wondered if Kobo would do the same.
I thought that's what I was saying. Visit the search engine of choice, and tap the menu icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. There are options to save the URL as the home page or as a favourite.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #92
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Got it. Had to type in the URL. Couldn't just search as on other devices.

Startpage also gives me the choice of mobile or desktop.

How do you get a link to browser on the home page?

I have an Android phone and tablet. I'm not signing in on any other device besides the computer where NoScript can block Google. Google has made errors with some of my devices. I'm not giving them another opportunity. I don't use any service beyond Play store anyway, and then only for apps.

Last edited by Alpha o; 02-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #93
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Got it. Had to type in the URL. Couldn't just search as on other devices.
The homepage was set to Google, so you could have used that to do the search. Of course, that would have been letting Google see you. But, how do you think all those other browsers work? They all have a background search working on whatever you put into the URL bar. And most are using Google for that.
Quote:
How do you get a link to browser on the home page?
You mean the devices home screen? The tiles are automatically maintained by the different functions. Opening the browser will put a browser tile on the home screen. But, there is no way to pin it there.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #94
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I did type it into Google search. All it returned was about:blank. I searched for the URL on the computer and typed it in.

No, some use Yahoo and some use Bing. The browser on my phone can have the default as Duck Duck Go. Duck, Startpage and Ixquick do not store information.

StartPage, and its sister search engine Ixquick, are the only third-party certified search engines in the world that do not record your IP address or track your searches.
Your privacy is under attack!

The link to the browser finally showed up on the desktop after 2 days.

Google has messed around with apps for two devices. I'm not giving Google another chance. The apps were paid for, not freebies.

Last edited by Alpha o; 02-15-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 AM   #95
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo & Kindle
LISTING AUTHORS ALPHABETICALLY & WITH SERIES thanks for your help.After reading the other threads and trial and error have come up with this - plugboard for Kobo -
{author_sort} {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title} with destination field authors.
Seems to have done the trick. I must say that this is hard for us beginners & novices. Is there any way that someway could do a list of plugboards so we know what to input if we want author surname, series, series no, title - then perhaps change it for other preferences. Perhaps a beginners FAQ for Calibre!!
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:38 AM   #96
fdant
fdant began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
In this thread there's a list of useful plugboards: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100949

After a lot of tests, I choose to use this scheme on the authors field:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| | - } {authors}

It'll sort the author and then the series, the results will be something like this:
Harry Potter 01 - J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter 02 - J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter 03 - J. K. Rowling
fdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #97
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo & Kindle
I am surprised that you found the authors listed alphabetically. I had that plugboard for some time using a Touch. at I found the authors were not being listed alphabetically on my Aura. I would get, say Rowling, then perhaps Smith and then back to Rowling. This was repeated throughout my library, hence a way of trying to ensure that the authors were listed correctly alphabetically and the series included. Seems to work now.
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #98
fdant
fdant began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
As far as I know, kobo sort the author by the last name. So I put the {authors} as the last item and it worked
fdant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #99
mkeles84
Enthusiast
mkeles84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura/Glo/Kindle PW2
Last day, I put my SD card into Kobo Aura, and it started searching contents in which SD card include. I takes long time to finish. Sd card includes lots of ebooks or pdf I know but only one epub file is needed for me. Is there any option to cancel first searching?
mkeles84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #100
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Not really. You could eject the card, but I'm not sure what would happen. Hopefully it would just display an error and stop processing. Otherwise, you would have to power off or press the pinhole reset button and eject the card before it restarts. Unfortunately, that could result in a corrupt database. Your probably better to wait.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #101
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not really. You could eject the card, but I'm not sure what would happen. Hopefully it would just display an error and stop processing. Otherwise, you would have to power off or press the pinhole reset button and eject the card before it restarts. Unfortunately, that could result in a corrupt database. Your probably better to wait.
The next time he could put the files he doesn't want processed into a "hidden" folder. A hidden folder is one that starts with a dot/period like ".library". To make one in windows just name the folder with a dot both before the name and after it - ".Library." and the trailing dot will disappear, leaving you with the ".Library" hidden folder you want.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 PM   #102
mkeles84
Enthusiast

@davidfor, thank you for your reply, yes you are right. I had to reset after I ejected SD card.
@Ken Maltby, it seems wonderful thinking using hidden file, I will try, thank you so much.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:45 PM   #103
mkeles84
Enthusiast

I sent a epub file (abc.epub 1MB) by using Calibre to my Glo.
Then I deleted it, and send epub file again with same file name but different content (abc.epub 5MB)
Now I can't open this file on Glo. "Opps, This document couldn't be opened.."
Old 10-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeles84 View Post
I sent a epub file (abc.epub 1MB) by using Calibre to my Glo.
Then I deleted it, and send epub file again with same file name but different content (abc.epub 5MB)
Now I can't open this file on Glo. "Opps, This document couldn't be opened.."
How did you delete the book? I you deleted the book using either calibre or the device, it should be OK. But, if you deleted the book from the disk directly and replaced it with book with a different internal structure, you could have problems like this. And this would be expected as calibre is cheating a little when replacing a book on the device.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #105
mkeles84
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How did you delete the book? I you deleted the book using either calibre or the device, it should be OK. But, if you deleted the book from the disk directly and replaced it with book with a different internal structure, you could have problems like this. And this would be expected as calibre is cheating a little when replacing a book on the device.
I always use Calibre but may be pull USB cable while progressing accidently.
When I try to delete this file on Calibre, I get an error.

database disk image is malformed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 608, in _delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 500, in delete_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2020, in delete_via_sql
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 432, in delete_via_sql
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

solved: I tried the instructions which I read this topic, thanks.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=10

Last edited by mkeles84; 10-25-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Tags
faq, kobo, problem, question, wiki