Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Video Review of Kobo

I found this link over on Teleread, a video review by Len Edgerly of the Reading Edge podcast:

http://thereadingedge.com/

It's about 10 minutes long and covers most of the bases in a comparison with the Nook and The Kindle. I'd have to say he generally likes the Kobo, and he doesn't mention the font size bug, not any battery charge problems. Perhaps he knows those will be fixed shortly (as I expect), or perhaps he is the perfect Kobo customer, buying only from Kobo and using the desktop app to load his books.

It's an interesting 10 minutes.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I think I must be the perfect Kobo customer. ;-) The Kobo is my first e-ink reader, and I've only bought books so far from Kobo (and I haven't worried about PDFs yet). Between free books and the good prices I've gotten so far (I've price compared, Kobo's competitive) I'm happy with Kobo. Still want to see the problems fixed though, particularly the ePub problem, as I want my eReader to work properly with an open universal format.

What struck me as funny about the review (apart from Murphy's Law giving him a Kobo with a defective blue button!) was how right-handed people in speculating on left-handed use of a device always manage to make things look so awkward. I'm left-handed (well, closer to ambidextrous, but I write with my left hand), and have no problems with the placement of the blue button. I either use both hands to use the Kobo (either holding it in both hands, or holding it in left hand and page turning with right), or adjust my grip with my left hand in single-handed mode when turning pages, or simply switch to my right hand in single-handed mode. I can't say as how I've observed myself enough to note any marked preference.

When it's all about reading, the Kobo does it all. And the other stuff the others ereaders do? Well, neither Amazon or B&N convinced me those features on their devices were worth the prices they were charging...
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I should probably note that as far as e-book purchases go so far, I've price compared both online and with the mass market paperback editions, and unless I've been able to buy the ebook at a significant discount to the paperback edition, I haven't purchased. I still think ebooks are overpriced relative to their paperback counterparts.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote