Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
Thumbs up The Tangled Strings of the Marionettes

I just got finished reading this short story about 10min ago and it was really good. Probably one of the most character rich stories I have ever read. The guy is on the preliminary ballot for the Nebula Award for this story. The best part about it is that you can get this short story for free at fictionwise here.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook28543.htm It was one of those stories that have a really deep meaning and I couldnt quite grasp it all the first time through so I would really like it if some of you would download it and tell me your take on the meaning. Its free so you might as well get it and add it to your library. It takes about an hour and a half to read.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Here is a link to the other books that are being put on the ballot. http://www.fictionwise.com/Z186164H1130/nebula2005.htm
Advert
Old 01-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Team7,
Thanks for messaging me to remind me about this one. I just finished it myself and was surprised how much it drew me in. The story isn't terribly complicated but there are depths of meaning that probably went over my head the same way the meaning of the Ballet goes over the head of the main character. I admit I was a little confused by the ending. I thought at first I understood what the statue was but now I'm not sure.

Definitely one to try reading again later and see if I pick up things I missed the first time through.

Now on to reading Time Ablaze which is also a free download and also on the preliminary ballot for the Nebula Award.

Perhaps this or another thread can be the "official" one for discussing these stories. Kudos to Fictionwise for offering these as free downloads.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks for the reminder. I am going home from work now, but made sure to pick up the book on my PDA for a "good night" read! (I am still on the 3rd book of A Song of Ice and Fire, and have so little precious time needed to finish it).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Team7
Zealot

so gatton what did you think the statue was and what was the meaning of the ballet. I thought the statue was dalmo trying to show some meaning before he died of old age or something. I didnt really grasp the meaning of the ballet. I Thought maybe it was just the message for everyone to get along and that with everyone working together is a message in its own.
Good luck on the Alexander. I need to reread them all just to remember what the story was about before the fourth one comes out. I had morpheus tell me how the thrid one ended and I have the message saved so I can look at it again before I start the fourth book.
Advert
Old 01-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
Gatton
Groupie
Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gatton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021, assorted Fire tablets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team7
so gatton what did you think the statue was and what was the meaning of the ballet. I thought the statue was dalmo trying to show some meaning before he died of old age or something. I didnt really grasp the meaning of the ballet. I Thought maybe it was just the message for everyone to get along and that with everyone working together is a message in its own.
I had thought what you did about the statue. That it was Dalmo after all his "enhancements." As to the meaning of the ballet I don't know. Your suggestion is as good as any. Perhaps it points to a time when the Vihani will evolve. Or as you said when they'll work together. Who knows. It's an interesting read.

I just read Time Ablaze and while it was an interesting premise I didn't enjoy it as much. I was surprised to learn it was based on a true event. But considering that the event has become known as a forgotten tragedy perhaps that's not unusual. So while I didn't love it I am glad I read the story as it taught me about an event that should not be forgotten.

I'm sure it's difficult to describe how a person in 1904 would feel trying to understand what a web address is but I just didn't think Mr. Burstein captured it. Felt a bit hastily written. Anyone else read this one yet?
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote