Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #106
stephensmat
stephensmat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm listening to an internet audiobook called The Leviathan Chronicles, available for free download.

Excellent writing, excellent narration, and the characters are voice acted. The narration makes it more of an audio book than an audio drama, but it's really excellently done, and most of the episodes are free, with some cheap 'bonus' episodes that do not detract from the main story.
stephensmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #107
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensmat View Post
I'm listening to an internet audiobook called The Leviathan Chronicles, available for free download.

Excellent writing, excellent narration, and the characters are voice acted. The narration makes it more of an audio book than an audio drama, but it's really excellently done, and most of the episodes are free, with some cheap 'bonus' episodes that do not detract from the main story.
Can you point me to the download link?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #108
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm nearly finished with Raymond Chandler's classic The Big Sleep, brilliant writing, but Elliot Gould's narration ... not so much.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #109
stephensmat
stephensmat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Can you point me to the download link?
http://www.leviathanchronicles.com/E...eason-1/Page-2
stephensmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #110
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensmat View Post
Thank you my dear.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Right now, I'm finishing up "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a long book and I've got another hour or two to go. The combination reader/book is excellent. I've got the sequel, "The Wise Man's Fear" on my playlist, but I will probably listen to a couple of other books first, just as a change of pace.

It's interesting how a good reader can enhance a book, but a bad reader almost ruins the experience. One of my favorite series was the Coramonde series by Brian Daley. It came out in audiobook a few months back and is almost painful to listen to. The reader has a very good speaking voice, but his character voices are grating in the extreme. His falsetto for the women and some of the male characters is very hard to listen to for me. It's sad. He would be better off just doing a straight reading rather than try to do character voices.

The Fredrick Forsyth books suffer from a similar issue. The books themselves are great, but the reader has a laconic upper class British accent which sounds to me like the reader is bored with the whole thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #112
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I know most folks here don't read nonfiction, but I'm about halfway through The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson, story of the great migration north in the USA by African-Americans over the past century. Robin Miles does an outstanding job narrating the material!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #113
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm listening to a set of PG Wodehouse audio books . Hilarious! The wife is totally sold on them. She had no interest in the lives of English nobility of the early twentieth century until now!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #114
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's interesting how a good reader can enhance a book, but a bad reader almost ruins the experience.
Roy Dotrice comes to mind. Although I'm probably alone on this, I didn't like his narration on 4 of the 5 Song of Ice & Fire series. I was so relieved when I started A Feast For Crows, narrated by John Lee (who didn't really try to make himself sound like a female).

It got so bad with Dotrice (for me) that I mainly read the ebooks I'd acquired and I was grateful to have them.

Oddly enough, there was an online petition by fans to make sure A Dance with Dragons was narrated by Dotrice (it was). Apparently, many found Lee's narration 'boring', but I wasn't among them.

Different strokes, I guess.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #115
AlexGrama
Writer

I just finished HP1 and started HP2.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #116
Charlie Prime
Charlie Prime began at the beginning.

Device: varioso
Life - Keith Richards autobiography (read by Johnny Depp).
Charlie Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #117
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
My new favourite audio book is Steve Jobs Biography narrated by Dylan Baker. It is an excellent indight into this unique mans life, I felt very moved by the audio book.

You can find it here.

MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 AM   #118
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Currently re-listening to C. E. Murphy's "Urban Shaman" while in my car.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #119
way8lifter
Enthusiast
way8lifter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Roy Dotrice comes to mind. Although I'm probably alone on this, I didn't like his narration on 4 of the 5 Song of Ice & Fire series. I was so relieved when I started A Feast For Crows, narrated by John Lee (who didn't really try to make himself sound like a female).

It got so bad with Dotrice (for me) that I mainly read the ebooks I'd acquired and I was grateful to have them.

Oddly enough, there was an online petition by fans to make sure A Dance with Dragons was narrated by Dotrice (it was). Apparently, many found Lee's narration 'boring', but I wasn't among them.

Different strokes, I guess.
I agree 10000% ...cant stand roy ...some of the characters sound like they are slobbering ...I liked Lee much better
way8lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 AM   #120
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Graphic Audio's Vatta's War book 4 - Command Decision

Great unabridged production, very addictive

Last edited by sabredog; 03-22-2012 at 02:57 AM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations