Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
Cheapest way to edit/input text on the Reader

O.K. this topic is a little goofy but what the heck... The cheapest way I know of to input/edit text on the Sony Reader is through an old PDA. I have a 4-year-old iPaq 3850 Pocket PC with an SD slot. I pop my SD card out of the Reader and stick it into the iPaq where I can edit both text and rtf files. When I put the card back in the Reader, my files are up to date.

You can probably find a functional Pocket PC (with SD slot) for $50 or so on eBay. I know this isn't as nifty as the iLiad's text input, but it's a patch. Does anybody know a cheaper way to edit/input text on the Sony Reader?
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Maybe getting a Palm would be better since graffitti is easier? Or at least last I checked! :P
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
True, but can you save in TXT or RTF on a Palm? I've never tried it, so I have no idea.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Now why would we want to turn the reader into a PDA. It does not have the refresh rate necessary for the most common applicationss used. Eink being a static display is very well served the way it is applied right now with the PRS.

The Iliad is the best machine to use as a PDA.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
yvan Grosni:

I think that he's saying that a cheap old PDA with SD slot can be used to edit text viewed on the Reader....think of the PDA as those clunky add-on keyboards and the Reader as the PDA.
Why one would buy another gadget on not simply edit on a PC is beyond me.
Ah! Maybe...No. Was thinking it would be cheaper than a USB card reader, but am pretty sure those are below $40.00. Maybe for MAC/Linux people?

Neil, why would I buy another device to mimic functions that I have, in much more elegant interface, on a PC?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

'cause then you wouldn't have to carry the PC around with you, Cthulu.

Seriously though, while there are probably only a few folks who are interested in doing this, it's good that there's a way for those who are interested to pull it off.

The idea doesn't appeal to me, personally, as I'm happy with my Palm for such things, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't do it if they want to. More power to 'em.

Besides, if that capability sells a few more units, then the market is that much bigger, and we get that much closer to standards, and more content availability, and better prices, and ....
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from innovating, or from buying the Reader, or even from purchasing PDA's from ebay on the cheap.

I just didn't want a person to overly complicate their lives is all.

I think that maybe this thread would have done well to be incorporated in the tricks & other cool stuff thread.

One thing that I believe would be super awesome is something akin to spreadsheet supoort on the Reader. Then I could edit something on Documents To Go, say, on my Treo, save it the card, then see it on the Reader.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
True, but can you save in TXT or RTF on a Palm? I've never tried it, so I have no idea.
You can with a 3rd party app, some of which are free. 8)
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well there you go. Thanks, Snappy!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
neilm2
Enthusiast
neilm2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader
I threw the question out there because I occasionally get the urge to write on my reader. When I read RSS feeds (downloaded with Rss2book) ,I want to make notes to follow up on items. I also keep lists on my Reader (schedules, directions, etc.), which always seem to beg for updating. Sure I can hook the Reader up to a computer, but like Natch menioned, sometimes I'd rather not carry around a PC. Call it iLiad envy, but my secret dream is to edit what I see on the Reader's screen.

BTW, a side benefit to my Reader's sidekick PDA is I can use it to download Sony Reader books from manybooks.net over WiFi. Now I can add new books to my Reader on the road without a PC.

Last edited by neilm2; 11-13-2006 at 10:24 PM.
neilm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist

Neil--

Now I take your meaning. Your description does indeed sound like a good way modify files when Out of the Office or on the fly. With the title "cheapest," I was bristling at purchasing additional gear as "cheap." But I understand.

For myself, ever since I read Greg Bear's _Slant_ where characters have "pads" that can connect to the internet, store their personal files, and hail a bus, I've wanted a Reader sized PDA. ;-