Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Some free books on writing and storytelling

Maybe this can be interesting for some

Note: The books are free, but you are required to give them a valid e-mail address. The download link is sent by mail.

John Walsh - The art of storytelling
Scott McClellan - Tell me a story
Joe Bunting - Let's Write a Short Story

I for one will read them.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Just a heads up, the first two at least appear to be written specifically from a Christian perspective, so you may want to take that into account.

It's one of those things that may tip a decision one way or the other.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The third is OK with regard to that, but it has a lot of mistakes, such as letters within the words, or white space where there shouldn't be.

Today I'll read the first.

I did notice that there seems to be a tendency to approach any subject by faith or God. I'm even seeing books about other books with titles like: How to find God in [insert popular fiction]. I'm not against beliefs or anything, but I think pulling faith into everything is overdone.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday I've read half of the ones by John Walsh and Scott McClellan.

These two books are useless for writing, IMHO. More talk about God and the Bible than about storytelling and writing. If you want to know how to make up stories based on biblical characters, then by all means read them. Otherwise you could at best stay away. I'm going to remove them from my library.

The book by Joe Bunting is OK, with a lot of good tips, but you'll need to look past the errors (such as letters within words, or breaks where there shouldn't be).
Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The third is OK with regard to that, but it has a lot of mistakes, such as letters within the words, or white space where there shouldn't be.

Today I'll read the first.

I did notice that there seems to be a tendency to approach any subject by faith or God. I'm even seeing books about other books with titles like: How to find God in [insert popular fiction]. I'm not against beliefs or anything, but I think pulling faith into everything is overdone.
I too think the same way, but then again, I am an atheist so what do I know lol.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

And now I'm writing a fantasy story called "Crisis of Faith." So what do I know? Nothing. And I'm a hypocrite too.

But hey; gods in fantasy are different, no?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
mrmarlowe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
But hey; gods in fantasy are different, no?
Depends on how you portray them I guess. Thankfully I didn't have to write a heavenly character in my fantasy book, not yet. It would have been even worse than Thor (the movie, I mean), I am sure.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
quite frankly, better just read good storytelling and draw from example
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
quite frankly, better just read good storytelling and draw from example
Right. Read your brains out and learn by osmosis.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
mrmarlowe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Right. Read your brains out and learn by osmosis.

Probably we can do another collaboration on this one. I think we will be able to do a better job than these guys.