Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
dasoulseeker
dasoulseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, DR1000s
DR1000s with broken USB port

Hi all,

I’ve found myself in a rather frustrating situation. My DR1000S works great in every way – except that the mini-usb port has broken off. Or, more precisely, it "fell in".

Since this removes the only way to charge, the fact that I can still read and annotate while the battery drains is almost poignant.

What should I do? Don’t think I dare opening up the reader myself. I've damaged the case enough when hopelessly trying to connect the cable to the reader.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
See this thread posted on this forum, on how to open the DR. Maybe that help when opening yourself or finding someone to do it for you.
Thanks. I have come across these instructions. Unfortunately I am not capable of doing surface-mounted soldering. Would anyone be interested in giving me a hand? I will certainly pay for the help.

Other than that, I may have to sell the reader (for its screen and parts) to anyone interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	63274  

Last edited by dasoulseeker; 12-22-2010 at 05:19 PM.
dasoulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
How much is this problem usual? Anybody knows? I've seen several cases of DR1000S users until now..
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #3
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoulseeker View Post
What should I do? Don’t think I dare opening up the reader myself. I've damaged the case enough when hopelessly trying to connect the cable to the reader.
See this thread posted on this forum, on how to open the DR. Maybe that help when opening yourself or finding someone to do it for you.
If I remember well there is also a thread somewhere that describes changing the usb connector, but I have not found it yet.

Please let us know how(if) you solved this, to help other people that might get the same problem.

Good luck.
Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
dasoulseeker
dasoulseeker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, DR1000s
Would anyone be interested in purchasing the DR?
dasoulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
shequest
shequest began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
The exact same thing has happened to my Kobo Arc, usb port fell inside. Been contacting Kobo, sent mulitple pictures, they've given me no answer...
My arc is only 6 months old...

Apparently in delving into this problem, this is the biggest negative comment in regarding the Arc... I feel they owe me a new one...!
shequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert