Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
sogj
sogj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Strip PDOC tag without losing customization

I have a Mobi file that has things like quote margins, drop caps, etc. It looks great, but when I transfer the file from Calibre to my Kindle Paperwhite, of COURSE, that annoying PERSONAL tag is along the bottom and I can't see the file from the "Books" section.

I tried converting it in Calibre and removing the PDOC tag, which works great, except it strips all the custom formatting of my book.

Does anyone know how to strip a PDOC tag without actually reconverting the file and losing all the CSS? Thanks!
sogj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Java Mobi Metadata Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogj View Post
I have a Mobi file that has things like quote margins, drop caps, etc. It looks great, but when I transfer the file from Calibre to my Kindle Paperwhite, of COURSE, that annoying PERSONAL tag is along the bottom and I can't see the file from the "Books" section.

I tried converting it in Calibre and removing the PDOC tag, which works great, except it strips all the custom formatting of my book.

Does anyone know how to strip a PDOC tag without actually reconverting the file and losing all the CSS? Thanks!
The Java Mobi Metadata Editor works just fine for me, but don't strip it, change it to EBOK.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
sogj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Java Mobi Metadata Editor works just fine for me, but don't strip it, change it to EBOK.

I tried this. I added code 501 and tried both EBOK and [EBOK]. Neither worked, what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool EBOK

Quote:
I tried this. I added code 501 and tried both EBOK and [EBOK]. Neither worked, what am I doing wrong?
I have no idea, EBOK works for me. Are you deleting the file from the device before you add the new one?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #5
sogj

Quote:
I have no idea, EBOK works for me. Are you deleting the file from the device before you add the new one?

Yes.

I delete the file from the Kindle and Calibre.
Then I open the program.
Then I add 501-EBOK and save the new file.
Then I load the new file into Calibre.
Then I send it to my Kindle.
Still shows up with a PDOC tag.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool EBOK

Quote:
Yes.

I delete the file from the Kindle and Calibre.
Then I open the program.
Then I add 501-EBOK and save the new file.
Then I load the new file into Calibre.
Then I send it to my Kindle.
Still shows up with a PDOC tag.
Does it look like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	MobiMetaEditorV0.14.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	101583
Click image to enlarge it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
sogj

Quote:
Does it look like this?
Attachment 101583
Click image to enlarge it.

Yes, exactly like that.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool I'm out of thoughts on the subject.

Quote:
Yes, exactly like that.
That image was of a mobi that shows up as a book on my four different kindle models, so I have no more thoughts I can share, sorry. Maybe someone else will respond.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
doolie
doolie began at the beginning.

Are you trying to remove the personal banner on the books? I just did that on 9 of my side loaded books using the Quality Check plugin. Works great.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125428

Moderator Notice
I replaced your shortened url with the full link to conform with Mobileread Guidelines.
Quote:
8. Links, Uploads, Copyright and DRM

Links to sites that violate copyright are forbidden and will be deleted. URL shortening services may not be used.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-22-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Replaced shortened url
doolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
sogj

Yeah, I don't really understand that. It's just a bunch of PY files that won't load as plugins in Calibre, I'm not sure how it's supposed to fix the Personal tag. :/
Old 02-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool zip

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really understand that. It's just a bunch of PY files that won't load as plugins in Calibre, I'm not sure how it's supposed to fix the Personal tag. :/
You're not supposed to unzip it, you install the entire zipped file.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
era506
era506 began at the beginning.

Hi. Sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but this EBOK thing is driving me crazy.
I have a Kindle Paperwhite and recently bought the Humble eBook Bundle.

I downloaded the mobi for each book and using the Java Mobi Metadata Editor I added the EBOK cde type to each. I then added them to Calibre and added metadata. Then, using the Quality Check Plugin I used the Fix ASIN option.

After this, using the same Quality Check Plugin I confirmed I no longer had ASIN or CDE type errors.

I went ahead and transferred the books to my Kindle. From the 6 books, 3 are still tagged as Personal, opening the mobi with the metadata editor shows all fields are correct (501 to EBOK, 103 and 504 to the book's ASIN)

Am I missing something? Has anything changed for the PW that makes the books still be tagged as Personal? Is there any other field that needs to be added/edited/removed?

Thanks in advance for any help.
era506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #13
8134 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2014
How to remove personal tag on side loaded books without removing book cover

I am new to this and i have a kindle paperwhite. Most of my books are side loaded and not bought from amazon. I'm using Calibre to convert from ebook to mobi files. On the mobi output option, I put Mobi File type: Both / Deleted the personal Doc Tag / Unchecked Enable sharing. The book cover shows up on my library although the personal tag on all the book are still on the bottom of the cover. How can I remove them?
8134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, I have the personal doc tag set to "[EBOK]", and share_not_sync is False. And all converted books do NOT have the "Personal" banner.
If you use calibre's Send-to-Device, it will sideload the cover thumbnail together with the book itself.

But if you have previously converted a specific book, you will need to select those books, click Edit Metadata, and "remove stored conversion settings for selected books".
That data is cached, and no longer uses the defaults set in Preferences.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:29 AM   #15
8134 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, I have the personal doc tag set to "[EBOK]", and share_not_sync is False. And all converted books do NOT have the "Personal" banner.
If you use calibre's Send-to-Device, it will sideload the cover thumbnail together with the book itself.

But if you have previously converted a specific book, you will need to select those books, click Edit Metadata, and "remove stored conversion settings for selected books".
That data is cached, and no longer uses the defaults set in Preferences.

Thank you.
I just checked the options for Edit Metadata, although they do not have the option to remove stored conversion settings for selected books.
8134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kf8, mobi, paperwhite, pdoc