Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #76
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to plug your Nook into your computer, add it as an authorized device for your Adobe ID and use ADE to transfer all books to your Nook?
Yes

Quote:
Integrated stores exist for a reason, and most people will not want to deal with the hassle of getting books from anywhere other than the store app of the ereader in question.
Glad to know that's what most people want. Most people I know personally that read digitally have no problems buying from places like Baen and sideloading. I've personally never used the store on a device other than on a Kindle for the lending library since that's the only way to do it. All of my purchases are done on a PC or occasionally my phone via web browser.

Quote:
And if I were to use my computer to transfer all my books to my ereader, then I want to use calibre not ADE. To use calibre, I need Apprentice Alf for authorization, which is easier AND "authorizes" for Kindle as well.
You don't have to remove the DRM (Alf) to use Calibre to organize and transfer Adobe encrypted books.

:shrugs: Different strokes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Of those "locked in" to an integrated store with their devices, there's only two kinds of people: those who don't care that they're locked in ... and those who've figured out they're not really locked in. Both are usually happier than pigs in mud about their situation.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #78
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I was merely pointing out that Amazon Kindle is not somehow uniquely disadvantaged when it comes to being locked in.
If they know what they're doing, then they aren't locked in at all. If they don't know what they're doing, they're just as effectively locked into Barnes & Noble as they are locked into Amazon.

And true enough, they don't care either.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #79
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Of those "locked in" to an integrated store with their devices, there's only two kinds of people: those who don't care that they're locked in ... and those who've figured out they're not really locked in. Both are usually happier than pigs in mud about their situation.
Yes, that sums it up nicely. But there are those who hate the "evil corporate entity" Amazon and endlessly rehash the same silly pseudo-arguments. This is really about them, not about (perceived) store lock-in.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #80
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, that sums it up nicely. But there are those who hate the "evil corporate entity" Amazon and endlessly rehash the same silly pseudo-arguments. This is really about them, not about (perceived) store lock-in.
Precisely. Barnes & Noble is no better and yet somehow always gets off the loop, just because they DRM ePubs instead of azw.

EXCUSES, EXCUSES!!!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #81
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
To be fair to B&N the DRM they use has been in the ADE mobile software for quite a long time (Jetbooks can read B&N DRM just fine - Since 2010), it's other manufacturers that aren't enabling the option.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote