Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
wagnerian
Musicology Student
wagnerian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Zaurus C1000
FBReader problem: files with Korean file names

The "add to library dialog" does not list files with Korean file names as if the files do not exist at all. FBReader for Windows XP does not have this problem. Any idea?
wagnerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest providing a tar bundle (with an english filename) containing one or two of the problematic files. That way, I can test whether the problem exists in the Desktop Linux version.

I am assuming that tar will preserve the filenames, one check would be to untar them in a different directory first to confirm this. If there is a better way to attach files that preserves filenames (and works under Linux) then please use it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
wagnerian
Musicology Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
I suggest providing a tar bundle (with an english filename) containing one or two of the problematic files. That way, I can test whether the problem exists in the Desktop Linux version.

I am assuming that tar will preserve the filenames, one check would be to untar them in a different directory first to confirm this. If there is a better way to attach files that preserves filenames (and works under Linux) then please use it.
http://wagnerian.new21.org/pub/temp.tar
Old 05-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I get the same behavior under Desktop Linux, and I have reported it this fact on FBReader's Google Group.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader

I think I have worked this out. The filenames are in euc-kr and need to be in utf-8. When I use convmv to convert the filenames to utf-8, Desktop FBReader works as it should. I found out about convmv here. This is a Linux utility (actually a perl script). The command I used was:
Code:
convmv -f euc-kr -t utf8 --notest *
where "--notest" should be used only after testing that the conversions are appropriate. Note that convmv (particularly its -r --notest option) might be a brick your iLiad command if you run it in the wrong directory. So the safest approach would be to run it on some other machine under a standard user account and then transfer the files.

Last edited by wallcraft; 05-15-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Advert
Old 05-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
wagnerian
Musicology Student

That's too much inconvenient!
I'd rather take the risk of modifying the er_registry.txt to associate .txt files with FBReader.
There's no problem on the iLiad content lister to process euc-kr file names if a Korean font is installed on the device.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #7
wagnerian
Musicology Student

Successfully modified the er_registry.txt file. Thank God my iLiad did not brick!