Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
thacursedpie
thacursedpie began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
PDF Text too small!

Ok, I am new to using the iLiad (Only have it since today). Everything is working fine, but when I am reading a PDF file, the text is way too small!

I have no technical skills regarding e-reading or anything, I don't know what to do. I have already tried zooming-in, but that doesn't work...

Is there any way to make the iLiad display PDF files larger?
thacursedpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Of course, it depends on your PDF file. Many are designed for reading on a computer screen or printing out at A4. The best way to read if the text is too small is to turn them through 90 degrees and switch to continuous mode, then turn your device sideways too. Or if the document has wide margins, you can zoom so the text fits across the page and switch to continuous mode.

If you've got documents in Word or some other word processor format (such as RTF) the "How to make content for your document" file in the Docs folder will tell you the best page size to save PDFs at and how to do it. For ebooks that aren't already PDF, I use OpenOffice.org Writer to format to the right page size, then save as PDF.

And all the books at www.feedbooks.com and www.manybooks.com can be downloaded in a PDF format suitable for the iLiad (Feedbooks are formatted much better than manybooks, though).

There are also some alternative PDF readers available that allow things like full screen display and column following, but you'll probably want to get more familiar with your new gadget as it is before you take the plunge of installing the developers' package and adding new software. There's lots of people here who'll be able to help with that.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
thacursedpie

Ok, thanks for the information.

But you are talking of this continuous mode, how do I activate that?
For some reason I haven't received any manual for my iLiad, so I don't know what all those buttons stand for in the bottom of the screen.

Isn't there some tutorial or something like that on this website? The "manual" in the iLiad itself doesn't give the needed information...
Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #4
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by thacursedpie View Post
Ok, thanks for the information.

But you are talking of this continuous mode, how do I activate that?
For some reason I haven't received any manual for my iLiad, so I don't know what all those buttons stand for in the bottom of the screen.

Isn't there some tutorial or something like that on this website? The "manual" in the iLiad itself doesn't give the needed information...
Yes it does. Take a look at pages 36 and 37.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
The manuals for the iLiad are all to be found by pressing the "Docs" button. The one which you need to tell you what all the icons do is the "User Manual", and the "Mobipocket Viewer Manual" if you're reading Mobipocket files.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
The other day I pressed the 'up' direction key for long time unintentionally and the tool bar disappeared leaving more space for the actual text which made it more readable. You press the same button and hold to get the toolbar back. I have been fiddling with the settings downloading applications and installing them, maybe one of the new applications added this function or maybe it is already there in ipdf. Press the 'up' direction key and hold it for a few seconds to remove the tool bar. Let us know if it works on yours as it works perfectly well on mine.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi View Post
The other day I pressed the 'up' direction key for long time unintentionally and the tool bar disappeared leaving more space for the actual text which made it more readable. You press the same button and hold to get the toolbar back. I have been fiddling with the settings downloading applications and installing them, maybe one of the new applications added this function or maybe it is already there in ipdf. Press the 'up' direction key and hold it for a few seconds to remove the tool bar. Let us know if it works on yours as it works perfectly well on mine.
nope, iRex official ipdf hasn't got a fullscreen mode.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
nope, iRex official ipdf hasn't got a fullscreen mode.
So where could I have gone right then? I can open text documents and make the text really big, turn the page full circle anti-clockwise, can read .lit files, .rtf files with no margins.The iLiad is coming of age now. I never thought I'd be able to read so many different formats on this device.
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
thacursedpie

Ok, I have found the manual. And, at my iliad, there is no symbol for "continuous mode" when reading PDFs...

I will try to put .lit files on it. would be really great if those worked too!

EDIT:
I am not able to read .lit, or .doc files! Rati, how come you can and I can't?

Last edited by thacursedpie; 03-18-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I assume Razi has installed some third party software at some point.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote