Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Braveheart1971
Braveheart1971 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC (Daily Edition)
Unhappy Replacement for Sony PRS950-SC Daily Edition

I have killed my pride and joy

In a moment of foolishness, I left my Sony reader on the front seat of my car, without its protective case...then forgot it was there, and threw something on the front seat, which landed smack bang in the middle of the screen.

So, now I am in the market for a replacement device. I spent ages researching the Sony ereader originally, and it had pretty much everything I needed:
- good eink screen
- larger screen (7inch)
- touch screen
- ability to read epub and pdf (and other formats)
- ability to highlight and annotate
- large internal memory (2G?) plus expandable memory (SD card)
- the wifi was nice, but not necessary
- 3G I never used.

So, does anyone have any recommendation on a replacement...?

I'm not too keen on the new Sony Reader, as the 6 inch screen is a bit smaller - but most of them seem to be that size now, so maybe there is not a great deal of difference? I am also dubious about the plastic cover, as my PRS950 was a nice sturdy metal.

I am swayed by the new Kindles - but then no epubs...

Are there other readers that people think would suit my needs?

One other hassle is that I am in Australia (when I bought the PRS950SC Sony wasn't selling them in Australia, and I had to get it through a shipping forwarder in the States, and then also buy cases etc from the States...) So something that was available internationally would be good - but would be willing to get a device from the States if necessary.

I spent US$300 on the Sony, but it seems the prices have dropped pretty dramatically in the last 6 months. Probably willing to go up to US$200 this time...

Would be willing to consider a second hand purchase - what are the Sony 600/650 models like?

I am reading on my ipad at the moment, so am not in a hurry if there is a potentially really good model coming out in the next few months... although you can really notice the difference between the iPad and eink in terms of eye strain....

I'm hoping this forum can help, as I found it really useful when making my original purchase.
Braveheart1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
You could try getting a new superceded one cheap.

I paid heaps for mine when they were new and the exchange rate was crap and I had to import from the US.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Sony-...item20be4bf407
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
broken, replacement, sony prs-950