Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
I am using Linux , Ubuntu 10.4, installed on the desktop the beta
calibre version , added the new plugin as indicated in the above post

As this is all a test , a little apprehensive about using it .. I have one purchased book , it is what needs back up ..

Will be following the posts

Harry
in Ubuntu you can:

tar cvf /home/harry/kobo.tar /media/KOBOReader
gzip /home/harry/kobo.tar

open /home/harry/kobo.tar.gz and verify everything is thhhhhere then you should be okay. But I agree, if you are worried wait a bit...

You may need to ensure that the paths above are correct

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dropping multiple books in one transaction is quicker; however, after doing that the list of books shown on the Calibra display as being on the device only shows 1; even though there are still 80 or more books on the unit.

Ejecting and reinserting it shows the correct list.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Dropping multiple books in one transaction is quicker; however, after doing that the list of books shown on the Calibra display as being on the device only shows 1; even though there are still 80 or more books on the unit.

How many books did you try so I can test. I suspect it is an issue in how I deal with the caching. I believe that there may also be a caching issue with adding books that I need to track down. Also, adding a book allows the device to handle adding the sql rows to the database when it is disconnected.

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Initially I was dropping books in chunks of 10 to 12.

I did one final drop where I think I dropped 70 books Took 15 minutes but it finished.

One thing I DID do was after dropping all the books I copied the sqllite DB to my PC, and did a SQLLite Compact; this dropped the DB from 115 MB to 11 MB.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #20
timlegge
Addict

Quote:

Hi

I tested last night and I don't see a code issue but I only tried to delete a couple of books. I will try again on a test database and see how it goes.

Tim
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #21
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

I will see if I can reproduce it Tim and grab screen shots if I can.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #22
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Tim the new plug-in has fixed the issue for me as well.

Deletes are reasonably quick - similar times to what you have suggested. I'm not getting the slowness that PeterT is? Deleting 6 books in 10 - 20 sec not minutes.

I'm also not seeing the issue that PeterT is with the list - upon deleting a book or group of books the list refreshes to the full list of books that are on the Kobo.

Guess this just makes it harder for you to track down?

Appreciate your work on the plug-in.

This is all on the internal memory - I'm not using an SD card.

Last edited by mylesau; 06-02-2010 at 10:20 AM.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesau View Post
Deletes are reasonably quick - similar times to what you have suggested. I'm not getting the slowness that PeterT is? Deleting 6 books in 10 - 20 sec not minutes.
Were you dropping Kobo or ePub books?

As I said I will try to reproduce... Will go and install some of the free Kobo books (and of course mess up my reading status on the ePubns when I sync )
Old 06-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #24
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well quite interesting . No issues this time. I added 17 Kobo format books; updated the Kobo reader and Synced. Used Calibre to delete the books; no weirdness on the screen, and no performance issues either.

I wonder if that is because I had done a compact on the database to reoptimize it?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #25
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Quote:
Were you dropping Kobo or ePub books?
Kobo mainly. But I did try with a couple of loaded epub files as well.
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #26
clicker666
clicker666 began at the beginning.

Worked perfectly here. Not sure how long it took as I decided to cook and eat breakfast while it worked, so I estimate under 15 mins. I used it with 0.7.0. Now I only see the books I WANT to see. Yay!

Edit - it *seems* snappier in all functions. I didn't take any benchmarks, but my butt benchmark seems faster.

Last edited by clicker666; 06-05-2010 at 08:31 AM.
clicker666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #27
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I'm using 0.7.0 and I'm getting this error trying to delete:

coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 58, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 308, in _delete_books
File "<string>", line 267, in delete_books
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

and I get this error when trying to save to a directory (epub created by calibre not native kobo book):

(2, 'No such file or directory')

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 324, in _save_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 36, in get_file
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'News\\Epicurious [Sat, 05 Jun 2010]_2010-6-5.epub'
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantaipan View Post
I'm using 0.7.0 and I'm getting this error trying to delete:

coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 308, in _delete_books
File "<string>", line 267, in delete_books
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
Use the version of the plugin that is attached to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=12

It fixes that issue.

Quote:
and I get this error when trying to save to a directory (epub created by calibre not native kobo book):

(2, 'No such file or directory')

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 324, in _save_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 36, in get_file
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'News\\Epicurious [Sat, 05 Jun 2010]_2010-6-5.epub'
This I have not seen. If you still get it with the newer version of the plugin I will take a look.

Tim
Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
dantaipan
Enthusiast
dantaipan began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks. The saving to disk error seemed to correct itself even before I re-installed the plugin from the included link. I'm pretty sure that's the version I started with but I deleted and re-installed anyway. I'm still getting the unicode error when trying to delete however.

EDIT: I am able to delete the preloaded books and some that are sent from Calibre but I still get this message on some books.

Last edited by dantaipan; 06-06-2010 at 08:46 AM.
dantaipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #30
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Thanks. The saving to disk error seemed to correct itself even before I re-installed the plugin from the included link. I'm pretty sure that's the version I started with but I deleted and re-installed anyway. I'm still getting the unicode error when trying to delete however.

EDIT: I am able to delete the preloaded books and some that are sent from Calibre but I still get this message on some books.
Hi

I have updated both plugin that are attached to a new version. I had originally only fixed the issue for kobo books I did not notice that the same issue could occur for epubs or pdfs.

Tim