Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Are B/W e-ink readers becoming out of date?

More and more ebooks that I have purchased recently have color photos and chapter headings. Am I correct in understanding that it will be quite awhile until a color e-ink reader will be a viable product?

If so, as much as I hate reading on an LCD device, I'll have to seriously consider getting either a Fire or a Nexus for reading so I can fully enjoy the design of newer ebooks ...

Last edited by JoHunt; 07-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sounds like you are a candidate for a proper tablet (iPad, Fire, Nexus 7, Nook Color, etc.). But I wouldn't say they are becoming out of date.

You show me a color tablet with the same paper-like appearance and read-in-sunlight capability for reading plain text and THEN I'll agree E-ink shoulds see the, um, writing on the wall. Most of my reading is still plain text.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I have an iPad, but it's too large/heavy for reading. I love all of my dedicated ereaders (and keep buying more LOL), but I am put off now due to the all the color that is showing up in newer ebooks.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Standard e-ink is not becoming out of date. Some publishers are simply playing to all markets - PC apps, tablet users, and e-ink readers - by adding bits of color that can only be seen on some of them. This isn't new, but it is becoming more common. But I don't see this as any different than hard-cover releases with color photo inserts that are changed to black-and-white for the paperback version.

It's different, of course, for non-fiction where the color may be essential, but non-fiction of that type was never highly compatible with e-ink readers to begin with.

For me personally, switching to LCD simply to see a prettier chapter heading or the like is not worth the tradeoff.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Agreed, monochrome e-ink is not out of date. I use my Kindle to read text, and monochrome works perfectly for this. Others may have different needs, and for them, a tablet may make sense. But the tradeoffs are pretty significant, weight, power consumption and price are a few of the tradeoffs. I'm not against tablets, my wife has a Kindle Fire. I can read on it well enough, It's nice for video and games, but if I just want reading, I'll stick to e-ink.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I hope not. eInk is the only way I'll read a novel.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Are black and white books out of date? Nope, simply because there is very little reason to print most books in colour.

That being said, I can see ebooks shifting over to colour (even when it is not necessary) once a colour display with the benefits of eink becomes commercially viable.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
None of the books I've read recently had anything but text in them (besides maybe a map) so I'd say no, e-ink readers are not becoming out of date. Except perhaps for your reading habits/taste.
maxiart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I read fiction almost exclusively. It's rare that there are any pics in any of the books I read. I vastly prefer reading on my eink readers; I'd be quite sad if they quit making eink devices.

If I do pick up a non-fiction ebook, like a cookbook, it goes on my iPad.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I hope not! I love the readability of text on my e-ink reader. I will keep buying them for as long as I need them.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
All the reasons above... My Opus is only 150 grams and has a looooong battery life compared to anything in the LCD world.

Color E-ink: Have a mate that is an organic chemistry professor. He says not an easy thing to create. We have heard about the rumors of a real color e-ink screen for years on MR... to no avail.... Honestly...only Manga and comic readers would benefit...and the Irony most 99% of Manga in Japan is black and white.

As for me I prefer books in black and white... simple Let the story color my imagination not the screen.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I agree with most other posters - I can't remember the last book I had that had any colour.

Do you read a lot of comic books, or go heavy on expensive ref books ?

And I don't need colour to read text, it would be pointless - If I "need" to read/see anything in colour, I'll put it on PC/laptop.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Actually, pretty much all my commercial ebooks have color covers and *always* have.
It has no impact on eink readability.
I've read on LCD and eink and the screen tech makes little difference to me, but the weight and battery life of the device does.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No they're not...

I use an eReader for reading, recreational reading not looking at colour pictures... I use a tablet for that...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Indeed, for me, it's all about the words. As long as I can read words, I consider myself satisfied.

I hear of whizbang technology that offers "enhanced" epubs and interactive doo-dads as an excuse to make "books" expensive. I'll be continuing to embrace the kind with words, and words only.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote