Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #121
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
it remains to be seen about the battery. nooks claim of a month is with wifi off and we dont know how kobo calculated the 2 weeks it claimed. at least as far as ive read today

more than likely they have the same battery and same processor...
I did some math tonight and assuming 2 pages/minute reading (which I would say is really fast) and 30 minutes per day is only 3600 page turns over 2 months. Based on my experience with Kobo I would say you are probably right that's it's good marketing on Nooks part, but likely not much actual difference in battery performance.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #122
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
it looks nice!! much much much better than kindle! touch screen! and cheaper!
(oh wait, what about battery?)

why did they announce this so late
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 AM   #123
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
it remains to be seen about the battery. nooks claim of a month is with wifi off and we dont know how kobo calculated the 2 weeks it claimed. at least as far as ive read today

The new Nook has an 800 mhz TI OMAP CPU...the Kobo has a relatively new/unused freescale CPU...hard to tell which is faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anabolina View Post
I agree Green Monkey(and love your avatar, both the evil and good Kosh were great characters). I bought the PRS-350 back in January and while I love having a touchscreen, and haven't bought a non-touchscreen piece of technology in more than 2 years, I like the buttons at the bottom of the page reader and use them more often then the screen. In fact, the metal coloring is wearing off the bottom buttons so I've been reading using Aldiko on my phone so as to balance out the wear. Still, this reader gives me a serious case of the "I want that"s. I love the colors and quilted back. The Sony is a bit more... utilitarian.
Thanks, can't go wrong with some Kosh.

I think the Kobo is a nicer looking device, the statistics are better than the social networking B&N is trying to push.

I'm going with the new Nook when I upgrade, mainly for the physical page turn buttons. But the new Kobo looks nice too.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 05-25-2011 at 12:11 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #124
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The new Nook has an 800 mhz TI OMAP CPU...the Kobo has a relatively new/unused freescale CPU...hard to tell which is faster.
thats too funny. I was thinking this whole time that the nook reminded me of a reference design from one of the chip folks that i had seen in last year. i just started thinking it might have been TI and was going to look through some pics to see if i could find it. im pretty sure ive held the new nooks "mother" before.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #125
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
looks like the nook has a better battery and twice the memory. Throw in the fact it has an active hacking community and it's almost surely worth the extra 10 bucks.

I think Kobo should aim for 99 bucks, but that might not be practical.
The Kobo doesn't stand a chance in the US. It's designed to be sold in markets where the Kindle and Nook are absent. Sales of all three in the same market will see the Kobo take a distant third.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #126
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm sure that the new kobo device will do well in Canada, as the Nook is not sold here at all. I don't really like the bezel on the new Nook, the new Kobo seems more appealing to me esthetically. I can't wait to play with the new Kobo at Chapters when it comes in.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #127
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Kobo doesn't stand a chance in the US. It's designed to be sold in markets where the Kindle and Nook are absent. Sales of all three in the same market will see the Kobo take a distant third.
What is the basis for these conclusions? I would think Kobo can/will do pretty well in the U.S. although I do agree it would be #3, not #2 or #1.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #128
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
What is the basis for these conclusions? I would think Kobo can/will do pretty well in the U.S. although I do agree it would be #3, not #2 or #1.
Based on the feature sets and price points of the Kobo WiFi, Kindle 3, and Nook Classic. It wasn't until the last several months that Borders dropped the price of the Kobo to $100. Even then, I'd still opt for a K3 at $139.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #129
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
I'd buy the Kobo, but I'm conflicted about breaking the DRM on my Kindle books...I have not bought many, but I still have some free ones I want to read.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #130
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:

I think that the pdf scrolling will be the one that really drains the battery. I mean the eye sees continuous movement if the frame rate is 25 fps, and from the video in the article linked in the OP, I would say that it looks almost continuous, maybe not perfect, but it might reach 20 fps. So if you scroll around for 10s it is the same as refreshing the screen 200 times. So if the battery last 2 weeks even if you read pdf files, I would say that the battery is amazing, and they optimized the screen refresh as well.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #131
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
looks like the nook has a better battery and twice the memory.
There is a bit of a controversy over the amount of available space for storage on the Nook. Kobo has 1 Gig for books and documents. I've been told that Nook includes the space for everything in its calculations. Someone will have to have both readers to know anything definitively about both this issue and the battery life.

I hope both of them do well. I would not like to see the dedicated reader disappear and these devices are important.

Last edited by taming; 05-25-2011 at 08:11 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #132
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I'm glad I wasn't able to get a Sony 650 now. Not sure if I'll go the Nook or Kobo but it will be one or the other. Will probably wait till some hands on reviews are out to make my decision but I do like the look of the Kobo over the Nook.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #133
MechR
Connoisseur
MechR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Based on the feature sets and price points of the Kobo WiFi, Kindle 3, and Nook Classic. It wasn't until the last several months that Borders dropped the price of the Kobo to $100. Even then, I'd still opt for a K3 at $139.
I'd say the game has changed with the new Kobo and Nook models (even if that change turns out to be the Kindle widening its lead). Ironically, with the former's improvements and the latter's stripdown, the two have come out strikingly similar: Touch-centric with few physical buttons, no browser, no 3G, no audio, soft backside, social-media gimmicks...

If only B&N had known, they could've just kept making fancy Nook models, and entered a distribution deal with Kobo to catch the simple-reader market (Well, provided the Kobo/Borders deal is non-exclusive.)
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #134
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Way to go Kobo! I'm all in. I've got my 129 dollar bills stacked up and ready to go.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #135
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It is a fairly widely held misconception that Borders owns Kobo since that's currently the primary (only?) place to purchase one in the U.S. Fear that the "owner" will no longer exist in the near future is likely to make people weary about purchasing. If Kobo is going to stay competitive in the American market, it needs to get its products into a wider range of stores. Once consumers see the Kobo in a BestBuy or Target without any reference to Borders, it will hopefully become clearer that Kobo is not presently in any financial danger.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote