Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #106
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Reader looks nice.

I'd also like to be able to disable touch page turning and have physical buttons to page turn with instead.

Still, this looks really nice. The achievements are silly, but the stats are kind of cool.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #107
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
It sounds like Kobo is going to give people achievements for reading, turning reading into a competition, complete 10 books between the hours of midnight and five am. I wonder how they will get around the fact that someone could just rapidly flip through an entire book in order to get the achievement.
I think it is just supposed to be fun. I like Reading Life on the Android App and it sure seems like fun to me. It never occurred to me to see it in a competitive way (then again, I don't share my badges on FB or Twitter either--I'm just amused when it turns out I have won one).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #108
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The thing I really like is the new way it reads PDF's, Just drag your finger around the screen to zip around the document, the way mine reads PDF sucks panning around the page in giant jerky movements. How do they do that without the page going dark too? Totally awesome
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #109
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Reader looks nice.

I'd also like to be able to disable touch page turning and have physical buttons to page turn with instead.

Still, this looks really nice. The achievements are silly, but the stats are kind of cool.

Yeah I have to say touch page turning is not my favorite, but this new reader looks awesome and is very tempting.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #110
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Now what do I do with my Kindle library?
Convert it with Calibre, of course. :-)

I have to say, this is a good looking alternative to my Kindle. Not impressed by the touchscreen, prefer buttons, but for those who insist on touch, it's hard to argue. And I do like the buttonless formfactor.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #111
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I think it is just supposed to be fun. I like Reading Life on the Android App and it sure seems like fun to me. It never occurred to me to see it in a competitive way (then again, I don't share my badges on FB or Twitter either--I'm just amused when it turns out I have won one).
I'm not an achievement whore either, to use the popular parlance, but I know that some are. I think prizes would be neat though, maybe spend X amount of time reading get a discount on next book purchase or something.

Do you think Literary Life sounds better?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #112
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
It is smaller. Older versions are about 4.5" X 7.25". Stat on the new one says: 6.5 x 4.5 (from C-NET review).
So, about the same size as the current Sony PRS-650. I wonder if the same covers will fit it? Not that there are anywhere near as many choices for the Sony as there are for some other readers. But there are a few, and with this new Kobo maybe there will be more.

I could see adding this to the collection, regardless.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #113
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Reader looks nice.

I agree Green Monkey(and love your avatar, both the evil and good Kosh were great characters). I bought the PRS-350 back in January and while I love having a touchscreen, and haven't bought a non-touchscreen piece of technology in more than 2 years, I like the buttons at the bottom of the page reader and use them more often then the screen. In fact, the metal coloring is wearing off the bottom buttons so I've been reading using Aldiko on my phone so as to balance out the wear. Still, this reader gives me a serious case of the "I want that"s. I love the colors and quilted back. The Sony is a bit more... utilitarian.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #114
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Has anyone whipped up a side by side features comparison between this and the new Nook Touch yet?
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #115
guitar_east
guitar_east began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
But can it delete read books? This is the one feature that I wish our old Kobo had and the number one reason why my DH jumped on getting a Sony 650 when Best Buy actually had one in stock. Neither one of us like to keep books once we have read them and having them still on the ereader confuses the heck out of me. I read about a book a day and I can't keep track of what I have and haven't read without the ability to delete immediately after I finish reading. It irritates me.

Steph
The old Kobo can delete books. Just go to your library, press menu, then remove book. Done!
guitar_east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #116
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_bear View Post
Here are the tech spec from Kobo website. Pretty sweet!
Thanks for this. Slightly smaller than the WiFi. I'm already thinking about what kind of case I'd like for my new touch Kobo! <--- And I will be buying one.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #117
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I must admit that the new Kobo looks interesting, but I am waiting. Why? Two reasons: A. I am curious what Bookeen is working on. B. I have found that I want a user replaceable battery.... No, scratch that. I NEED a user replaceable battery. So my Sony will just have to hang on another 6 months or so
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #118
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Now what do I do with my Kindle library?
Liberate it?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #119
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
Has anyone whipped up a side by side features comparison between this and the new Nook Touch yet?
looks like the nook has a better battery and twice the memory. Throw in the fact it has an active hacking community and it's almost surely worth the extra 10 bucks.

I think Kobo should aim for 99 bucks, but that might not be practical.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #120
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it remains to be seen about the battery. nooks claim of a month is with wifi off and we dont know how kobo calculated the 2 weeks it claimed. at least as far as ive read today

more than likely they have the same battery and same processor...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote