Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #91
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I like the new Kobo for my Dad. But does the "Reading Life" feature mean Kobo will know all your reading habits? If so, is it a feature one can opt out of??

Love the new clean look!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #92
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Is it some kind of closely guarded secret, or is it just that no one cares enough to hack on it yet
Heh. I think nobody cares enough to hack into this particular feature. The Kobo developers have been supportive of earlier hacking attempts, though they're not the most responsive.

Although there's some annoying things about the current firmware, including kepub-only dictionary support, it might be corrected in the new firmware. From reading various previews, it already sounds somewhat different from what we Kobo users currently have.

Depending on how the reviews turn out, although I don't need one, I'll probably get one. I love my 350, but I've always had a soft spot for the Kobo. I just hope it comes out in Australia soon with maybe a new partner.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #93
MDK
Kobo Developer
MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.MDK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura, Glo, Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Heh. I think nobody cares enough to hack into this particular feature. The Kobo developers have been supportive of earlier hacking attempts, though they're not the most responsive.

Although there's some annoying things about the current firmware, including kepub-only dictionary support, it might be corrected in the new firmware. From reading various previews, it already sounds somewhat different from what we Kobo users currently have.

Depending on how the reviews turn out, although I don't need one, I'll probably get one. I love my 350, but I've always had a soft spot for the Kobo. I just hope it comes out in Australia soon with maybe a new partner.
Kobo supports most open formats including ePubs via ADE (please see the kobo mission statement). kePubs are ePubs with some changes (cleanups and tweaks as the ePubs from publishers leave much to be desired). When you purchase books from Kobo you may download the ePub to use with ADE or automatically sync the kePub to your ereader.

Cheers!
MDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #94
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo supports most open formats including ePubs via ADE (please see the kobo mission statement).
I know. For the original Kobo, I typically sideload deDRMed EPUBs via Calibre. However, the dictionary currently only works with KEPUBs, as far as I know, and which I was referring to. Has this changed with any new firmware for the Touch?

Last edited by viviena; 05-23-2011 at 10:24 PM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #95
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The display is 6" right?

I really like the statistics feature. I often wonder how much of my life I've spent reading junk^w fine literature.

This looks real sweet. Only thing not to like is lack of physical page turn buttons.

Kobo to Sony: eat me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #96
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The display is 6" right?

I really like the statistics feature. I often wonder how much of my life I've spent reading junk^w fine literature.
I like the statistics feature, too. I've stopped counting my books for the 100 books in 2011 challenge several months ago... some sort of feature that tracked my books read would come in handy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #97
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
To be honest it still looks a bit slower than I'd like in the videos I've seen. But the interface is pretty slick and it seems to handle PDFs well (one thing I'll need to check), and it looks gorgeous. Their choice of fonts (Georgia and Avenir) is smart and shows they know something about typography (unlike Apple), but this is something I'd want to hack because I really do like Minion - since they use ADE I'm hoping there's a chance that we can use a similar css hack to the one on the 505.

I was tempted by the new Sony readers with the Pearl screen last year, but held off because the 650 didn't seem enough of an upgrade over my 505. But at this price it looks like I'll be getting a Kobo when they arrive in the UK.

Good work Kobo! I've been buying my ePubs from their store for a while now, so getting one of their ereaders makes sense too. They're a plucky little company who's delivering the goods, which is refreshing given the amount of vapourware we've had on the ereader front in the past couple of years.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #98
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I know. For the original Kobo, I typically sideload deDRMed EPUBs via Calibre. However, the dictionary currently only works with KEPUBs, as far as I know, and which I was referring to. Has this changed with any new firmware for the Touch?
I am reading a non-Kobo ePub on my iPad Kobo app, and the dictionary works in it.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #99
tuffykenwell
tuffykenwell began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
But can it delete read books? This is the one feature that I wish our old Kobo had and the number one reason why my DH jumped on getting a Sony 650 when Best Buy actually had one in stock. Neither one of us like to keep books once we have read them and having them still on the ereader confuses the heck out of me. I read about a book a day and I can't keep track of what I have and haven't read without the ability to delete immediately after I finish reading. It irritates me.

Steph
tuffykenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #100
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
That is pretty sweet. Hopefully now amazon gets going with a touchscreen and sony drops the price on theirs... what's their equivalent to this? about $260 in Canada.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #101
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Does it look like these new kobos will be physically smaller than the existing wifi? Just wondering if I need to factor in the cost of a new case as well....
It is smaller. Older versions are about 4.5" X 7.25". Stat on the new one says: 6.5 x 4.5 (from C-NET review).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #102
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
But can it delete read books? This is the one feature that I wish our old Kobo had and the number one reason why my DH jumped on getting a Sony 650 when Best Buy actually had one in stock. Neither one of us like to keep books once we have read them and having them still on the ereader confuses the heck out of me. I read about a book a day and I can't keep track of what I have and haven't read without the ability to delete immediately after I finish reading. It irritates me.
For what it's worth, you can delete books with the latest (1.9+?) firmware on the Kobo Wifi.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #103
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post

Steph
If you have a firmware update on your Original (1.8) or Wifi Kobo (1.7+) you can delete books. You need to highlight the book in the books section (not the I'm Reading) and then if you click on the menu button you'll find the delete option near the bottom.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #104
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Okay. Just took a closer look at this. I hope Bezos is tossing and turning tonight.
He should be..
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #105
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
It sounds like Kobo is going to give people achievements for reading, turning reading into a competition, complete 10 books between the hours of midnight and five am. I wonder how they will get around the fact that someone could just rapidly flip through an entire book in order to get the achievement.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote