Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #76
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Looks like my next eReader is going to be a Kobo. When I wear out the cheap one I have now, I'll get this one. I read mostly books from Kobo anyway so it would be handy.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #77
Don0801
Don0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic somethingDon0801 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle 3 wi-fi
Damn ... If only they had it out last Sept....
The PDF panning is really something.
Don0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am hoping the bugs in ADE on the non-touch Kobo are fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #79
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0801 View Post
Damn ... If only they had it out last Sept....
The PDF panning is really something.
I love the PDF panning. I hope it has PDF reflow, too. I'd love to get all of the ebook readers: the Kindle, the Nook colour, the Kobo...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #80
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Now what do I do with my Kindle library?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #81
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Very well, as far as I can see.

Amazon Kindle is only available mail order -- no stores distribute it.
My recollection is that ive seen a K3 in Best Buy.

I have to say that from the pictures posted, it looks to me like Kobo has the screen proportions laid out very nicely.

I'll bet Amazon is feeling some pressure right now.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #82
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I am hoping the bugs in ADE on the non-touch Kobo are fixed.
Kobo doesn't need ADE. Books are unpacked in native Kobo format.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #83
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
My recollection is that ive seen a K3 in Best Buy.
Your recollection is incorrect. Amazon Kindle is not sold in any stores in Canada, including Best Buy.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #84
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
The ergonomics of the page swipe beats the buttons. And as for fingerprints, not to worry. You'll hardly see them.
I have a Kindle and I have a Sony. You are 100% wrong on both counts.

If you had qualified either of those points as pertaining to YOU rather than to ME you may have had a chance of being at least partially correct.

Maybe our fingers have more oil than yours, or maybe I just notice finger prints more than you.

From an ergonomics standpoint, it would be hard to convince me that having to move your thumb in the way of the page area and out again every page turn could be more ergonomic then keeping it one place and slightly rocking it. Maybe some prefer it, but it seems like an RSI waiting to happen. I certainly don't prefer it.

Last edited by ApK; 05-23-2011 at 08:44 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Now what do I do with my Kindle library?
Strip the DRM and convert to ePub via Calibre. And don't forget to do that for F&SF as you'll no longer be wanting Kindle eBooks.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Kobo doesn't need ADE. Books are unpacked in native Kobo format.
Yet another useless format?

Kobo supports ePub via ADE and the bugs do need to be fixed.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #87
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yet another useless format?
I'm confused on the 'kepub' format thing...it's the only format of books the internal kobo dictionary work with, apparently, but I can't find details about it. Is it some kind of closely guarded secret, or is it just that no one cares enough to hack on it yet
The new kobo specs only mention epub and pdf support.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I have a Kindle and I have a Sony. You are 100% wrong on both counts.

If you had qualified either of those points as pertaining to YOU rather than to ME you may have had a chance of being at least partially correct.

Maybe our fingers have more oil than yours, or maybe I just notice finger prints more than you.

From an ergonomics standpoint, it would be hard to convince me that having to move your thumb in the way of the page area and out again every page turn could be more ergonomic then keeping it one place and slightly rocking it. Maybe some prefer it, but it seems like an RSI waiting to happen. I certainly don't prefer it.
Which Sony do you have? Anything before the x50 series doesn't really count in this case.

And keeping your thumb in one place pushing the same button won't maybe cause RSI? It's like getting RI from using a mouse.

As for the finger prints, you'd hate anything with an LCD screen as you'd be really bothered by the fingerprints there since the hardly seen fingerprints on a Pearl screen are a real bother.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #89
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Does it look like these new kobos will be physically smaller than the existing wifi? Just wondering if I need to factor in the cost of a new case as well....
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #90
ApK

Quote:
Which Sony do you have? Anything before the x50 series doesn't really count in this case.
PRS350. It's a great screen and a great touch system for a reader, don't get me wrong, but I do need to keep the cleaning cloth handy, especially after playing chess on PRS+.
Quote:
And keeping your thumb in one place pushing the same button won't maybe cause RSI? It's like getting RI from using a mouse.
Maybe an ergonomics expert or a doctor can chime in.
I prefer the buttons like on the Kindle or classic nook. My wife doesn't seem to mind the touching page turns on her iPod Touch, but she already has arthritis, so what does she know.
My 8-year old son's the main reader on the Sony, and he things the touch thing is cool for turning pages.

Quote:
As for the finger prints, you'd hate anything with an LCD screen as you'd be really bothered by the fingerprints
Yes, I am. I hate it when people touch my computer screens.
We do have a protector from the Apple store on the iTouch that does a remarkable job, though, but I'm not the main user of that. Maybe it would bug me if I had to use it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Does it look like these new kobos will be physically smaller than the existing wifi? Just wondering if I need to factor in the cost of a new case as well....
The exisiting wifi is the same size (and fits many of the same cases) as the K3, and this Touch is clearly a very different size than the K3.