Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
BRGriff
Connoisseur
BRGriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
GoComics/Comics.com Merger

Per Comics.com, the site will merge with GoComics.com effective June 1, 2011. Difficulties in downloading comics from Comics.com are already appearing. Please get ready to modify your recipe to use GoComics for your favorite strips previously downloaded from Comics.com.

From Comics.com:

"Changes on June 1, 2011

Notice: Comics.com Members. On June 1, Comics.com and GoComics are merging to create the largest comic and editorial cartoon compilation on the web (GoComics.com). On that day, your Comics.com account, comic page and daily email will be transferred to GoComics.com. But don't worry, the only thing you will have to do is reset your password, then choose which comics to follow from our unprecedented lineup of 300+ well-known features. Click here to continue."

The "click here to continue" was part of the original post. I included it because it is the reason downloads from the site are no longer working. You have to physically click the link on the site to go to the comics, something the present comic "recipe" can not do.

Last edited by BRGriff; 05-24-2011 at 01:54 PM.
BRGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgriff View Post
Click here to continue.[/B]
I've been clicking on this for 10 minutes now, and nothing is happening?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
BRGriff
Connoisseur

I have edited the post to clarify. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by BRGriff; 05-24-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
thebaldtexican
thebaldtexican began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well that ruins it for me... gocomics.com has a Jack in the Box ad that pops up between each comic, and no 'workarounds'. They started this BS last month, and I quickly decided I could live without the gocomics comics. Comics.com was great... I could load an entire weeks worth of comics, and read them properly. Living with satellite internet blows, and having splash screen ads devours precious bandwidth...
thebaldtexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
BRGriff
Connoisseur

Help is on the way with a new recipe. Just waiting for GoComics to to iron out the bugs from the merger. All of Comics.com funnies are now available from GoComics and Gocomics is operating fine but will occasionally malfunction due to server overload. You can get a new "feeds' list here which you can copy and paste into your present Gocomics recipe, replacing the existing one:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134655

Remember to remove the "#" before any comic you want to download.

Hope you get things online again. Like I said, a new recipe IS in the works.
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
The worst difference, IMHO, is that GoComics, while providing an RSS feed for your favorite comics, does NOT feed the comic. You have to click through to the site (in your RSS reader) to get to the comic.

Whereas, in Comic.com, the comic WAS the feed.

Just hate it when they add an extra step to my morning routine. But, oh well, at least I still get feeds, yeah?

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote