Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #1
skeble
skeble began at the beginning.

Device: none
e-ink readers as pc monitor

I'd like to get eReader, which I would actively display pictures from your computer. I would therefore be able to influence the content displayed on eReader without him I would have handled directly.
Why?
I want on it to display the current temperature, headlines from newspapers, ...
Programs on the PC you can make a picture, I would like (preferably via Bluetooth, the worse variant of Wi-Fi or USB), displayed directly on the eReader - ideally periodically once every 10 minutes. The eReader will then hang on a hook on the wall.

There eReader with these properties (perhaps not?). Or will this be easy to program? Or it could be even alternative Web browser, when I opened the Web page from your local server and it should periodically refresh.

Can you please recommend the most eReader for this task.
skeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I can't think of any e-ink device that would do this. They are really only a "file storage device" as far as your computer is concerned. Your best way of getting an ereader that displays weather and time would be to purchase an IPad or wait until one of the new Android tablet devices comes out.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
You're looking for a monitor that is connected by bluetooth. An e-ink reader is not suitable. A digital photo frame is more suitable, though I don't know about the bluetooth connection. I've never used a digital photo frame so I don't know if they can be permanently connected. Otherwise use a monitor. I don't know if there are wireless monitors. I have heard of people streaming media wirelessly so it may be possible. Perhaps a Google search on wireless media streaming will help.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
skeble
skeble began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
You're looking for a monitor that is connected by bluetooth. An e-ink reader is not suitable. A digital photo frame is more suitable, though I don't know about the bluetooth connection. I've never used a digital photo frame so I don't know if they can be permanently connected. Otherwise use a monitor. I don't know if there are wireless monitors. I have heard of people streaming media wirelessly so it may be possible. Perhaps a Google search on wireless media streaming will help.
But I would like to that the device is always active - that is, from morning till night, whenever I go around, I want to see relevant information - like a weather station. Classic LCD consumes too much energy - right for me is e-ink, because the contents of the display should be renewed every ten minutes. E-Ink is also good to see.
skeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
OpenInkPot can be configured as an X11 device, see Connect Via X Server. However, this would have to be via USB, because OpenInkPot does not support devices with Bluetooth or WiFi. Since almost all EInk readers are actually running Linux (like OpenInkPot), this capability is likely possible on any of them. On all, it requires access to the system files (i.e. would need jail breaking first on some) and enough Linux knowledge to setup an X11 server.

Programing could be as simple as generating an 600x800 image file and sending it to the device using the xloadimage application. X11 is not commonly used on Windows PCs, but it is possible to do so (e.g. using Cygwin/X). Note that since you can also run an X11 server on your PC, it is possible to create and debug your app without even buying an EInk device. The server can open in a 600x800 window on your PC screen, showing what will later on be displayed on the Eink device.

For EInk devices with WiFi and a web browser, it might instead be possible to do this by setting up a web server on your PC and pointing the EInk device's web browser to the server. This might not involve any programming at all on the EInk device. Once again you can test the concept using any web browser on a PC (although the browsers on EInk devices tend to be very basic).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
Thanks to NiLuJe and hawhill, the Kindle DX makes a great E Ink computer monitor:
http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Trajan
Trajan began at the beginning.

Device: Previous Kindle 3 | Kindle DX owner
This is great TinyApps.Org! However it makes me regret that i sold my DX a few months ago... Damn it...
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Didn't try it myself, but this looks pretty good for websites. Except for video e-ink obviously is plenty fast enough. Really makes me wish for a full Android tablet with a fast processor, enough memory and an e-ink screen. So what if the battery lasts just 2 days instead of 2 weeks?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyApps.Org View Post
Thanks to NiLuJe and hawhill, the Kindle DX makes a great E Ink computer monitor:
http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html
"Warning

These directions are current as of March 2012 and worked well for me. They may not work for you, and might even destroy your Kindle. At the very least, they definitely void your warranty. Proceed at your own risk (and joy)."

But who cares ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink monitor