Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 AM   #76
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
so since you would have first hand knowledge, is that Jersey Shore phenomena as creepy as it appears?
Oh man.... If I had a dollar for....

I've only seen parts of the show a few times but the first thing I noticed was that it appeared no one in the show had a NJ accent. They had NY accents, particularly Staten Island, Brooklyn and east onto Long Island. Not surprisingly, there is just one girl on the show from NJ and she may be picking up her roommates' accents, but it certainly isn't native to her home in Hazlet, NJ. So, the first thing is, they aren't even from NJ.

The second thing is, Seaside Heights, which is where they're staying, is the absolute trashiest of all NJ shore points, so if you're looking for belligerence somewhere on the Jersey shore, Seaside Heights will surely attract them. I didn't even like Seaside Heights when I was 18 yrs old and still in HS. It was trashy to me then. That being said, they have gone an extra measure to find folks from NY to emphasize the point.

In truth, there really is no other area along the Jersey shore that even comes close to what Seaside Heights doesn't have to offer.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #77
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Sid Tillsley
Sid Tillsley? Please expand.

Hey HorridRedDog. If you are half bad as you look you might get moving support from your neighbors.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #78
Bev
Bev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enoughBev will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Perth WA here. Although I think when I first showed up here I might have still been In Oxford.

Bevis
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #79
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Sid Tillsley? Please expand.

Hey HorridRedDog. If you are half bad as you look you might get moving support from your neighbors.
The city pound has refused to send anymore employees to my address. In fact they will not even take calls from my neighbors.

They state employee health as the reason that they no longer knock on my door, or even enter my yard.

The neighbors have offered me money to move, but I refuse. I'm having too much fun terrorizing the neighborhood.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a warning. This is a serious vampire book and is not for children.

Sid Tillsley is a heroic, but also a tragic man.

He prefers to mind his own business and search for love. And a beer or two.

He has met the love of his life, but she spurns him. She thinks that he is beneath her.

In fact Sid is just starting on a journey to defend mankind from the dark forces.

Go here to read An Interview with Sid Tillsley and the guy that wrote about him, Mark (something or the other).

The book.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a cheerful song related to the book.

HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #80
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
The city pound has refused to send anymore employees to my address. In fact they will not even take calls from my neighbors.

They state employee health as the reason that they no longer knock on my door, or even enter my yard.

The neighbors have offered me money to move, but I refuse. I'm having too much fun
" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #81
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
so since you would have first hand knowledge, is that Jersey Shore phenomena as creepy as it appears?

I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but the people on it don't seem to be native to NJ. They sound like a bunch of New Yorkers - not like any one born in NJ. They're just a bunch of wannabes who are grabbing their 15 minutes of fame. I don't know anyone who was actually born here and is older than 17 who's managed to watch more than one full episode of it without turning it off as a piece of trash.

They are actually doing Seaside Heights a disservice. I've been going there since I was old enough to ride the kiddie rides - we're talking decades ago - and I think that in recent years they've done a lot to tone down the raucousness of it, reclaiming it from the teens. I've always liked it because it is always alive and you see the full gamut of humanity there; not to mention that you can still play games of chance there. I find the Wildwoods' boardwalks and the Atlantic City boardwalk rather dull. Point Pleasant is like a more family (read, somewhat whiter) version of Seaside Heights. The Monmouth county towns' boardwalks are meh, and I don't think there's that much to do in Asbury Park. Keansburg is its own little universe, something that has to be just experienced rather than explained. LBI is rather lah-di-dah, at least the parts of it I've seen. I've only been on the Ocean City boardwalk once, not enough to venture an opinion. Cape May is very pretty and filled with Canadians in the summertime, for some reason.

The majority of the Jersey shore is family-oriented. People vacation there year after year, usually with multiple branches of the family renting at the same time, so it turns into an ongoing family gathering point. It's not unusual to see assorted state license plates at one house as reunions are held. Group rentals to unrelated persons are discouraged in most towns. When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle from NY rented one place, we rented another, and another aunt and uncle from NJ rented a third and all of the cousins got a chance to spend extended time with each other. This type of thing is the norm down there in the summertime.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #82
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
New Zealand! I spend half my time in the city, and half in the countryside. It's a nice balance, but it does mean I'm constantly in a muddle.
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote