Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #46
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The eReader version of Android works *but* it takes up less than a quarter of the LCD screen.

I also downloaded both secured and unsecured ePubs from my Fictionwise account. Same with the local library. The ePubs show up nicely on the eInk screen. PDFs are very nice and it's easy to copy pictures and illustrations over to the LCD screen so you can view them in color.

I'm not very good at photos and videos. Took a few as I unboxed the eDGe but I won't have a chance to do anything with them until tomorrow.

The one minor thing I don't like is the shiny plastic case. Fingerprints quickly mar the shine. A matte finish would've been better. Also fingerprints probably won't show up on the lighter color cases. Mine is the stock midnight blue.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You can probably find an invisible film/protector to put on the shiny plastic.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #48
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The eReader version of Android works *but* it takes up less than a quarter of the LCD screen.
There are various ways to support different screen sizes in Android, and it looks like eReader isn't using the most flexible approach. The same may be true of the other Android readers, but it is worth trying Aldiko and FBReaderJ. A new option, based on a web browser, is ibis reader, which might also work off-line on Android.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #49
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
A question about copying picture/illustrations to LCD screen

Quote:
PDFs are very nice and it's easy to copy pictures and illustrations over to the LCD screen so you can view them in color.
May I ask a question about this feature?
When you copy pictures/illustrations from e-ink screen to LCD screen, does the copied color pictures/illustration stay on LCD if you turn pages on e-ink?

I am thinking of buying eDGe to read academic journals, and it would be great if I can put a table on LCD screen while reading contents referring to the table on e-ink screen.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #50
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The image stays on the LCD screen when you turn the page on the eInk side. Don't know if you can have more than one image displayed on the LCD screen. Will try and experiment more this weekend.
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #51
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
The image stays on the LCD screen when you turn the page on the eInk side. Don't know if you can have more than one image displayed on the LCD screen. Will try and experiment more this weekend.
Thank you very much for the information. Entourage eDGe sounds really good as a research tool.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #52
DrDk
DrDk began at the beginning.

Device: A81
Question How heavy is the Edge as an E Reader?

Hello to you lucky people with your Edges.
I usually read lying down in bed or on the sofa.
I am curious as to how comfortable the edge is folded over and used purely as a reader - is 3lbs too much?

It looks like it's only available in the US and Canada.
If I got someone in the states to buy it and send it to Australia , would I have trouble registering/using it etc?

Thanks,

Mr Envious!
DrDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #53
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

It is a little heavy with the LCD screen folded back out of the way but I usually read with either a lap desk or propped up against my legs when I read in bed.

I have to go out but I will try and take some pictures and do a write up later today or tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #54
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
It is definitely not light. I am considering getting a 6 inch eink because of the weight but only as a second device.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #55
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDk View Post
Hello to you lucky people with your Edges.
I usually read lying down in bed or on the sofa.
I am curious as to how comfortable the edge is folded over and used purely as a reader - is 3lbs too much?

It looks like it's only available in the US and Canada.
If I got someone in the states to buy it and send it to Australia , would I have trouble registering/using it etc?

Thanks,

Mr Envious!
DrDk,

I think the weight will be a problem for reading lying down with arms extended or bearing the brunt of supporting the eDGe. If you were able to prop it against your knees it would probably be more comfortable, but it's not (in my view) optimally designed for leisure reading.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #56
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
It is a desk/couch device. If I can cradle it so that I am cradling the hinge, it is comfortable. I do not see being able to lay down on my back and read with this.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #57
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Do you mean that the book page displayed for reading is only ~ one quarter of the screen? That would effectively make the 9.7" e-ink screen into a 5" screen. Deal breaker for me.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #58
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I thought this was referring to the lcd screen?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Anyone found an effective way to deal with the fingerprint issue? I've tried using the cleaning cloth for my eyeglasses, but it doesn't seem to do much. I wrote enTourage to ask what they recommend, so I want to hear back from them before I try something like Windex, etc., just in case it might damage the case's finish. But if they're any less chicken-hearted souls than me out there, I'd appreciate hearing your input. Thanks in advance.

EDIT - I just received this reply:

"We recommend wiping off fingerprints with a dry, soft cloth similar to those for cleaning lenses."

Well, I guess I'll have to give it another go with some different cloths and see what happens.

Last edited by Batman Jr.; 02-27-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #60
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I thought this was referring to the lcd screen?
Oh. Android was mentioned, so you're probably correct. Guess I need to slow down and actually comprehend what I'm reading, huh?
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote