Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2023, 11:32 PM   #1
filethief
filethief began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905
Unhappy Well, I bricked it. I'm an idiot. Please help? (Kobo Touch N905)

I have a Kobo Touch N905 and while side loading an update while I had opened the Kobo, I accidentally knocked the battery cable loose and now the screen is black except for three white dots and a white symbol above them telling me to not turn off the device.

When I battery the power cable in, first it starting flash red, at which point I unplugged and plugged it back into the computer, and then it started flashing green then red.

Unplugged battery and somehow got the solid blue LED on again. My Kobo touch is the version that has a microSD card slot. I wanted to ask for an SD card image in the other thread but I wanted to get some help and figure out how I've screwed this up. I really hope I haven't bricked it forever, I'm very much regretting my clumsiness and can't believe I did the one thing the screen was telling me not to do.

Can someone please advise me?

If it helps, this is at the bottom of my Kobo.
FCC ID: ZJLKOBON905
IC:8912A-KOBON905
Model:N905
filethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:20 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
AFAIR, the N905 does not have removable internal storage so no image is available.

Have you tried the manual factory reset procedure?
  1. Hold the power slider to the right for 20-30 seconds to ensure it's turned off and release it
  2. Press and hold the home button
  3. Slide the power button to the right a couple of times to turn your Touch on
  4. After it turns on, continue to hold the home button until the LED starts to disco (flash rapidly)
  5. You can then let go of the home buttom
  6. You should see a Restoring message on the screen
  7. Good luck!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2023, 01:23 AM   #3
filethief

So yes I have tried that, none of that turns it off, it still has the solid blue light. Then I disconnected the battery and held home button as it turned on and it started slowly blinking red. After that I clicked the power button a few times and the slow red turn into a solid blue. The entire time the screen has not changed at all.

Also do I not have a N905? My kobo touch has a microsd card slot on the left side. Does that mean I have an N905 B or C? Did the original N905 have an sd card slot? I have googled this and honestly can't find the answer.

Thank you for taking the time to respond it really helps.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:22 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
If I remember correctly, (it's been a very long time,) those old kobos with the external SD slot had a way to *boot* from the sd slot, and Kobo did have a rescue image to boot from. I forget how you would get the image though.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by filethief View Post
So yes I have tried that, none of that turns it off, it still has the solid blue light. Then I disconnected the battery and held home button as it turned on and it started slowly blinking red. After that I clicked the power button a few times and the slow red turn into a solid blue. The entire time the screen has not changed at all.

Also do I not have a N905? My kobo touch has a microsd card slot on the left side. Does that mean I have an N905 B or C? Did the original N905 have an sd card slot? I have googled this and honestly can't find the answer.

Thank you for taking the time to respond it really helps.
When you opened your Touch, did it have an internal µSD card? This has nothing to do with the external µSD card slot but would be mounted to the main board. See the attached image for an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	touch_internal_µSD.png
Views:	100
Size:	545.8 KB
ID:	201520  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2023, 01:39 AM   #6
filethief

Ah no it does not. I am looking at the board and it only has the external µSDcard. Thank you for clarifying that for me, so mine isn't the version that can be booted from the sd card. Ok so lesson learned, given that they don't service the Touch anymore do I just recycle the board?

Thank you for replying so quickly.

Tags
bricked, kobo touch, led