Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-11-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
mrfakename
Developer
mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G (Keyboard), Used
[Help] Kindle 3G Screen Frozen

Hello everyone!
I’ve recently been trying to make a Kindlet for my Kindle 3G (acquired around a year ago from eBay). But a couple days ago, I noticed that it wouldn’t turn on and wouldn’t force restart. The screen stayed on the custom screensaver and wouldn’t change (I installed the screensaver and fonts tweak as well as KUAL and several Kindlets)
I tried force restarting to no avail. I wasn’t too worried since this had happened before and it restarted after a while. I decided to plug it in overnight. Here’s what happened next:
Day 1 - Panic Level: 2/10
It wouldn’t turn on. It's stuck on the custom screensaver.
Day 2 - Panic Level: 5/10
It still won’t turn on, even after charging overnight. The power switch light does not turn green when pressed. It does turn yellow when charging. After charging again for around 5 seconds it turns green when pressed. I don’t know much about kindles but I assume this means there’s some way to recover it since the light works.
Day 3 - Panic Level: 11/10!!!
I’ve tried all the methods on the internet for force restarting and resetting a Kindle 3G! The screen still won’t change from the screensaver I set!
Day 4 - Panic Level 8/10
Today I’m posting on this forum. Is my kindle bricked? And if so, should I use Kubrick Debricker? Is there any way to recover my kindle and continue creating Kindlets?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
mrfakename.
mrfakename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:49 PM   #2
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
You’re describing exactly the same symptoms as a dead battery so there’s every chance that it could be a hardware fault - I’d pop open the device, unscrew the battery and check the terminal voltage with a multimeter before worrying too much.

Wouldn’t advise using Kubrick on a K3, it takes hours and has a tendency to brick the rootfs for some reason. I’ve got a new method in the works but it’s kind of experimental, drop me a PM if you want to give it a go.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2023, 01:36 PM   #3
eddie.t.h
Groupie
eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.eddie.t.h is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Too Much Kindle :-)
I bet on cracked balls under the processor. This is a typical fault in this model, right after a damaged power switch.
Check if after pressing the CPU with your finger the reader will start, if so, you will need reflow.
eddie.t.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 04:18 PM   #4
mrfakename
Developer
mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Hello,
Thank you for the suggestions.
@katadelos: My battery reads 3.3V, and it's a 3.7V battery, which leads me to believe it might not be a dead battery.
@eddie.t.h: I tried pressing on the CPU, but it still won't turn on.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Lithium batteries are a bit more mysterious than your average Nickel or lead based rechargeable. At a certain point it will not be used due to fire risk. The 3.7V is a nominal cell voltage. They are about 4.2V fully charged. The 3.2V is close to flat for a 3.7V nominal cell.

Several models (DXG, KK3 at least) will not turn on if the battery doesn't charge.

3 x AA Alkaline cells gives about 4.8V when new & unused, and the useful endpoint is 3.0V even though the nominal voltage is 1.5V per cell.

The issue is that the Lithium batteries / cells, unlike Lead Acid, Nickel Cadmium or Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) will go on fire or explode if you attempt to charge them when they are worn out. So when the device stops charging and refuses to start the cell is still about 3.0V to 3.2V.

The Zinc Carbon end at about 0.9V per 1.5V cell and if left running (torch or motor or radio) the casing will dissolve and acid leak out. The Alkaline cells will also eventually discharge from end point of 1V and then if the spring is too strong the base seal will fail and the alkaline solution will leak out.

You need a new cell.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2023, 06:10 PM   #6
mrfakename
Developer

Hi @Quoth,
I think you're probably right about my battery being dead or dying.
I was able to power it on after charging for around an hour (even though it didn't power on after charging overnight).
So right now, it boots and runs, but with an extremely low battery capacity. I'm going to continue charging the Kindle 3G to see how full it can charge.
Is my best option to purchase a new battery, and if so, which vendor would be least expensive?
Thank you!
Old 04-17-2023, 03:52 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
They are about $10 to $15 on ebay, plus any import duties or VAT. Sellers change with the seasons.

Often opening a gadget is harder than swapping the cell, so you are more than half-way there.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
mrfakename
Developer

Thank you everyone! My Kindle now seems to be working normally.

Last edited by mrfakename; 10-20-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #9
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfakename View Post
Thank you everyone! My Kindle now seems to be working normally. I can now resume my attempts at developing Kindlets and playing interactive fiction on it (with kif)!
If you need any testers I am happy to help..
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfakename View Post
Thank you everyone! My Kindle now seems to be working normally. I can now resume my attempts at developing Kindlets and playing interactive fiction on it (with kif)!

I'm happy for you, but you neglected to update us on your Panic Level.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, eink, frozen screen, kindle 3g