Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #1
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Overdrive Downloading on Mini and Glo?

Reading through the Kobo blurbs on the Mini and Glo, it seems that the Glo will download books directly from libraries (like my Sony T1 ) - but I don't see an explicit mention of direct library downloading for the Mini. It fact they point me to a demo using ADE and sideloading .
Can somebody confirm whether or not the Mini can directly download from libraries?
I've gotten to like the direct download, even when I do the browsing and checkout from my desktop PC.

Thanks - pholy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
To the best of my knowledge no.... Checkout is done via your desktop and ADE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Reading through the Kobo blurbs on the Mini and Glo, it seems that the Glo will download books directly from libraries (like my Sony T1 ) - but I don't see an explicit mention of direct library downloading for the Mini. It fact they point me to a demo using ADE and sideloading .
Can somebody confirm whether or not the Mini can directly download from libraries?
I've gotten to like the direct download, even when I do the browsing and checkout from my desktop PC.

Thanks - pholy
Do you see a direct mentioning of the Glo being able to download Overdrive books without the need of a computer anywhere, and if yes, can you please post a link? I am researching this as well, but so far have only come up with the Sony T1 and T2, Bookeen Cybook Odyssey and the their new HD Frontlight. Those four devices are certainly not as sexy as a Kobo Glo, so I hope you are right about it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have a Glo but as far as I can tell it is not possible to download from my local library's Overdrive section, I have to use a computer with Adobe Digital Editions software installed and then transfer the book to the Glo from there.

I can directly download books from other sections of the library using the Glo's built-in web browser, but not from the Overdrive managed collection.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GeoffR, you can't browse the library Overdrive site from the built-in browser and download the books , then?
I thought as much, but the OP made me hopeful.
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
GeoffR, you can't browse the library Overdrive site from the built-in browser and download the books , then?
While I can log into my library's Overdrive site and even reserve books and receive the email telling me the book is available for download with the Glo's browser, I can't actually download the book, for that I need to use ADE.

This would be a nice feature for Kobo to add to a future firmware update, but it is not a big deal for me, as long as I can actually read the library books on the Glo it doesn't matter that it takes an exra minute or two to download and transfer them.

Edit: It might be different for your library, but at mine most of the e-books I want to read are not available for immediate download anyway, I would have to wait a week or two for someone to "return" a copy.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-18-2012 at 09:42 PM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
xendula
eBookworm

I am used to the Kindle. I usually browse on my iPad, select whatever books I want to download fom Overdrive, click on Get for Kindle, get directed to Amazon where I can select which device I want to read on, et voila, the books get sent from Amazon to my Kindle of choice instantly. It is a 20 second process and I never have to fire up my laptop.

Now, it appears that publishers don't like this type of convenience, so they increasingly seem to only offer the ePub version to Overdrive. I already hate Adobe with a passion (no matter that I use their products as a web designer, but I hate ADE and the fact that eberybody goes with their DRM in the ePub world), so a reader with ADE on board would allow me to the same ease of use as my Kindle. Therefore my search.
Thanks for clarifying the Glo process. Chances are, of course, that Kobo and BN will never offer readers with ADE on board, because they want you to use their stores