Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
cheap/free backup mail server?

I'm learning linux (one of the reasons I've been AWOL lately) and I'm looking at setting up my own mailserver at home. My only concern is continuity, as the power grid in my area can be a bit unstable. Sometimes it can go down for 30-90 minutes in a fairly minor rainstorm. I don't get much critical mail, but I hate to miss anything. Does anyone know about inexpensive (or free!?) backup mailserver services? A shot in the dark, I know, but let me know...

Thanks
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ignatz, glad to see you around ;) Did you have a look at the Editor forum, already, btw?

You can either look for a provider for Backup MX, or rent a dedicated or virtual dedicated (VPS) server.

Usually this provider or server will accept mail and then attempt to send it to your home mail server (typically using ESMTP or more specifically, ETRN. In qmail, this could be accomplished by `echo domain.com:primarymailserverip > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes`

Some providers who offer explicit Backup services:
http://rollernet.us/mx.php (free)
http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/prod/mailbk.html
http://www.dyndns.org/services/prici...x.html#mailhop

Greets
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Great links Alex, thanks! I hope rollernet gets theirs out soon! Free is great! And at the most I'll have a handful of emails at any time that I need backup. I hate to pay as if I'm a business with thousands of mails that need catching. dnsmadeeasy looks pretty affordable too.

BTW, I've been in the editor section but haven't spent much time there yet. Linux has been sucking my time up! The learning curve is so steep!!
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote