Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Kobo-wifi SDHC card

I've discovered something rather odd with my Kobo-wifi (purchased Tuesday), and noticed an oddity in copying files to the device under Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64.

I attempted to sideload an epub via Calibre which appeared to go fine, however upon unmounting the mounted filesystems the book was gone from the devices storage, while they appeared to be present in the filesystems before unmounting in linux. (Actually I had to manually unmount as after running Calibre eject would fail from the desktop.)

Re-attaching the kobo revealed that yes the epub was indeeed gone, so I tried manually copying from the bash to kobo's internal filesystem and then unmounting manually, this time the book appeared in the books list.

This morning I decided to try this again since I had some time. Copied three books manually from bash to the SDHC card, synced filesystems manually, manually unmounted all kobo filesystems and disconnected it from USB. It goes through it's detect sequence, bam all books gone again.

So, I yanked out the SDHC card after powering off the Kobo, and checked it out on the builtin card reader of my nb. Sure enough all of the books were gone again, so I decided well I'll try copying them onto the card while it's in my nb's builtin card reader, redo all above, just did it from the CLI again but unmounted via GUI.

Put the SDHC into the kobo, power it up, takes a bit longer finding new content, and the books now show up in I'm Reading and the "Books" library listing...

Has anyone noticed this odd behavior under linux or Windows(or OSX)?

Bum unit maybe?

SDHC card is actually a class 4, 4GB PNY uSD card in a SD adapter as I always buy uSD since I have more devices supporting uSD than SD and usually try to pick up uSDs with SD adapters included... (building up quite the collection now along with one miniSD adapter... )

One of the books did have an apostrophe in the title, but since I read that it could cause problems I removed the apostrophe and re-converted it.

I'm perplexed... first time that I've run into this kind of problem with a device, let alone an ereader... I suppose next boot into Windows that I should check there as well...

[EDIT]
...now that I think about it, apostrophes are likely problematic since they aren't properly escaping the titles and it's literally being interpreted as a single quite by whatever is parsing that info... easy fix trivial fix if this is the case... I'm surprised that it lasted so long if this is the case... kiddy stuff..
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2=MUCH later]
Uset this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121707
thread instead...
[/EDIT2]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 02-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote