Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
bricked
bricked began at the beginning.

Device: kobo clara HD
bricked while disconnecting from PC

While disconnecting my kobo from the computer, it got stuck on the "Importing content" screen (see attached image). The computer side shows "disconnected" when i disconnected the USB cable from Kobo.

Current condition:
- not registered if connected to computer by USB
- if the power button is pressed, it will flash once.

Things i've tried:
- completely drain the battery, and recharge
- disconnect/reconnect battery
- SD card content is still accessible via external reader

I was not able to find a solution in the forum, but if it's already been discussed, I'd really appreciate it if someone can point me to the right place.

Many thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo bricked.png
Views:	104
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	202926  
bricked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It sounds like you may have corrupted the database, so you could replace it if you have a backup.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
That can also happen if you have a corrupted ebook that hangs the importing process. OTOH, the import process starts at 6% and ends at 94% so it may not even be starting the process.

Since an eInk screen is bistable, the image will stay there until it is rewritten.

You might want to try the Manual reset your Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Nia, Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Clara 2E, Kobo Elipsa 2E procedure from Kobo's website.

The usual warnings that this will wipe your ereader back to factory apply.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:07 PM   #4
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
It sounds like you may have corrupted the database, so you could replace it if you have a backup.
Thanks for your reply. How do i replace it?
Old 08-01-2023, 06:09 PM   #5
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That can also happen if you have a corrupted ebook that hangs the importing process. OTOH, the import process starts at 6% and ends at 94% so it may not even be starting the process.

Since an eInk screen is bistable, the image will stay there until it is rewritten.

You might want to try the Manual reset your Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Nia, Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Clara 2E, Kobo Elipsa 2E procedure from Kobo's website.

The usual warnings that this will wipe your ereader back to factory apply.
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to include in the original post, but factory reset doesn't do anything, the light on power button doesn't flash. I tried holding button down for varying length of time.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #6
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricked View Post
Thanks for your reply. How do i replace it?
You would need a backup of the KoboReader.sqlite file in the .kobo directory that you made previously. It doesn't sound like you have much to lose at this point, so if you don't have a backup, you could try deleting that file directly from the SD card, along with all the books you recently added, to see if that enables the Clara to boot again. You'll lose all your reading progress and annotations in the process, but if you can't get the Clara to boot, you've effectively already lost them, anyway.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:28 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to include in the original post, but factory reset doesn't do anything, the light on power button doesn't flash. I tried holding button down for varying length of time.
In Kobo's instructions, I generally replace step 2 with hold the power button for 30-40 seconds since often when the device is hooped, the power light never comes on or turns off. And the process does require that your Kobo be plugged into a power source. If you haven't already, I would try a different cable and power supply.

Otherwise, it's probable that your Clara HD is suited for being a parts donor.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:17 AM   #8
Rugbyfan1986
Rugbyfan1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
As it is a Clara HD, could they not just replace the sd card or flash a new image to it, seeing as a factory reset will wipe all their info from the device anyway?
Rugbyfan1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:38 AM   #9
anarethos
anarethos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbyfan1986 View Post
As it is a Clara HD, could they not just replace the sd card or flash a new image to it, seeing as a factory reset will wipe all their info from the device anyway?
I have also a ClaraHD that decided to not turn on anymore. Even after a reflash. Just ... seems to refuse to power up.

I don't know, either, what to do ...
anarethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbyfan1986 View Post
Unfortunately, the observables as reported tend to suggest that something on the motherboard has failed so a replacement µSD card is unlikely to help.
Old 08-02-2023, 04:23 PM   #11
Nightflyer
Connoisseur
Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nightflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M6, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
- if the power button is pressed, it will flash once.
My Clara HD does nothing if I press button. Never saw it flash once.

If I press button for 5 seconds it starts flashing/blinking and then boots up.
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 06:59 PM   #12
bricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unfortunately, the observables as reported tend to suggest that something on the motherboard has failed so a replacement µSD card is unlikely to help.
I tried your previous suggestion, but still no luck, so i guess it doesn't hurt to flash a new image onto it :S

Do i download a new image from here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases
Old 08-02-2023, 08:04 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I tried your previous suggestion, but still no luck, so i guess it doesn't hurt to flash a new image onto it :S

Do i download a new image from here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases
No, the link to the images are sent in PMs. Since you have PMs enabled, look for one. The firmware releases wiki and Patrick Gaskin's Kobo Firmware Downloads are for firmware updates and do not include the full image of the µSD card.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-02-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:05 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
FW releases are for a working Kobo.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Ask on the appropriate thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=247

You need full image of the SD card, not a Firmware release.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 08:08 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
FW releases are for a working Kobo.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Ask on the appropriate thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=247

You need full image of the SD card, not a Firmware release.
Thanks for the advice on using the correct thread.

Tags
bricked, clara hd, disconnect, stuck