Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
sreph45
sreph45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
DXg mounting read only - cannot transfer files

Fedora 13, Kindle DXg (2.5.5), automounts rw but when I try to copy a file to documents (or the hacks to the root) it remounts read only and I cannot transfer files (even the ones I'm supposed to be allowed to )

Has anyone had similiar probs on linux in general? If so, how can I fix it?

Also, will I be able to use the hacks on 2.5.5 (jailbreak, fonts, screensaver) ? Maybe I messed something up when I tried to apply the jailbreak... i don't think so though, because I couldn't even get the file to copy over

I've tried manually mounting, etc... no good result... Have been through e-reader chaos over the past few weeks, having tried 3 different Sony readers (PRS-600) from 3 different retailers, all 3 arrived DOA or malfunctioning... so I now have my shiny new Kindle DX Graphite, and now I can't copy files to it... I'm beginning to wonder if it's not by design (the Kindle)... maybe they don't like Linux... I never had probs with linux transfers on kindle products until 2.5.5

Any suggestions welcome, thanks,
sreph45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Working fine on *nix (Mostly Gentoo Linux, and OS X) boxes over here. Do you have another distro/OS or another FAT USB device to try, just to see if it's not your F13 setup doing some crazy stuff?

I seem to remember having devices remounting ro on the fly because of sw/hw failure a while back...

Do you see something relevant to that in dmesg/system logs?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-17-2010 at 10:29 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
joeman
joeman began at the beginning.

Device: none
That is possible, the fs could be corrupted so it gets readonly. I wonder, what if there is fs corruption on the kindle itself ? One does reflash i assume ?
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #4
sreph45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Do you see something relevant to that in dmesg/system logs?
Hi - fresh install, oddly nothing useable in the logs, same on ubuntu, works fine on neighbors winxp though, they changed something in this latest firmware update I think
Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
sreph45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
That is possible, the fs could be corrupted so it gets readonly. I wonder, what if there is fs corruption on the kindle itself ? One does reflash i assume ?
Hey - yeah brand new kindle, i tried the restore, still same thing
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
vas123
vas123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite, sony prs 505
Hi.. The same thing happened to me with my new DX graphite with win 2003..I received it few hours ago. I changed the usb port and everything is fine. I hope that the same will happen with you.
vas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
sreph45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vas123 View Post
Hi.. The same thing happened to me with my new DX graphite with win 2003..I received it few hours ago. I changed the usb port and everything is fine. I hope that the same will happen with you.
Hi - I tried this yesterday, with no change, but this morning, after reading your post, I tried again, and it worked this time, so thanks!

It still doesn't like PDF exported from OpenOffice, but I can transfer everything else.

I switched back to the old USB port and it still works. Doesn't make sense, but I'm glad it's working now.

Thanks all
Old 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
sreph45

I began having issues again, and got some I/O errors, so I replaced the USB cable and it's working great now on all usb ports

Tags
linux kindle dx