Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: PW5
Source for Paperwhite screensavers?

Do you know of any good sites with screensavers suitable for the Paperwhite?

The screensaver hack seems pretty specific about screensaver dimensions (758x1024) rendering my old screensavers useless unless I'm willing to add a large border.

My google-fu brought up only old-ish Kindle screensavers sites that have 600x800 pictures. Does anyone know of a good source for PW specific screensavers/wallpapers?

Also, to sidetrack a little, what's a good file size for PW screensavers? I believe <100kb was the ideal file size for my K3 (which could accept JPGs) but I'm having trouble staying under 100kb for PNGs (which the PW requires) when converting my own images.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by modified; 01-02-2013 at 04:24 AM.
modified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
There are links to some on reddit.com/r/kindlescreensavers
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by modified View Post
The screensaver hack seems pretty specific about screensaver dimensions (758x1024) rendering my old screensavers useless unless I'm willing to add a large border.
Only because it has to match the pixel dimensions of the screen.

Hint:
Have you ever heard the names of either of these applications:
Gimp
Photoshop

If not - ask Google.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://images.my-addr.com/resize_png...er_for_web.php

search and ye shall find
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_056.png
Views:	346
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	98603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_057.png
Views:	347
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	98604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_058.png
Views:	335
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	98605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_059.png
Views:	788
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	98606  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
modified
Connoisseur
modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!modified is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Thanks for the move HarryT although I did not want to post in the Dev Corner in the first place because this was not a tech-centric question.
Basically I just wanted to know, where are folks getting their screensavers and what's the average file size for a PW screensaver image. Not very technical at all.

Thanks jamadams for the reddit link. Looks good.

And yes, I'm aware of Gimp/Photoshop/resizing images. I guess the message is, make your own.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Custom screensavers are very much a "dev" issue. A standard, non-hacked, Kindle does not use them. Hence the move to dev.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by modified View Post
I guess the message is, make your own.
That is why they are custom. As you mentioned that you already had some for an 600x800 screen, it only makes sense that you want to keep those (or why would you have them in first place if you did not want them) and make them compatible with the PW.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
modified
Connoisseur

Thanks HarryT for the clarification. Got it.

DuckieTigger, I actually read "custom" as "not the standard issued ones". I hated the dead author ones on the K3, so I replaced them with ones downloaded from sites like http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com/.

Point taken folks. I guess there isn't the equivalent of http://kindlewallpapers.tumblr.com/ for Paperwhite screensavers yet.

Thanks.