Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Is my T-1's screen defective?

Hi, have brand new T-1 here, but I've noticed that sometimes, I get pages where the text is noticeably uneven. Some text is lighter than the rest. It seems rather random in books, but I usually can see the effect on the Text Memo screen.

A reboot hasn't solved the issue, nor has general playing around with the device.

There have been no screen freezes or any thing like that so far, just the uneven text. I don't feel like this is normal and want to exchange or return the unit to SonyStyle, but I thought I better see if any other people had had this problem.

I took a picture, light wasn't very good, but the problem shows, perhaps somewhat worse looking in the photo than on the reader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony_T-1_screen_800H.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	79120  
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
It does look more like defective software than hardware. If the areas that appear darker vs. lighter aren't always at the same place, you can conclude it's a software glitch. Try changing font (not the size but the font name, try with a different book if it doesn't work with one) or try Customize View/Adjust View/Saturated in the menu inside a book.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it's not always in the same place. Sometimes I'll get a couple words in really light text at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes I'll also see a couple words light at the bottom of the screen and there will be like a light rectangular box behind them.

The book in the picture is the Sony supplied "Around the World in 80 Days". I probably should try some other books, though today, the unit seems to be behaving better.

However, another issue has come to light, I had put a short "test" text memo on the device, and then deleted it, however, it keeps coming back. I've deleted it three times so far, each time it appears gone, but then it returns. Oddly, after I delete it, the two line message on the Text Memo screen looks normal. But if I go back to the Text Memo screen later, it ALWAYS has the left side of that two line message darker than the right side. In exactly the same places.

I did try to adjust the view, but none of that helps, and I don't like the Saturated look AT ALL.

I just want to be sure I'm not getting stuck with a buggy device, because honestly, I think the light/dark text thing would bug me as much or more as the screen flipping issue. Which has not occurred so far on this reader (two days in) and only occurred twice on hubby's T-1.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The T1 appears to have ghosting issues like this. Even though it blacks the screen for a refresh at every page turn, it is not enough to completely clear the screen of whatever image was on there before. I notice these uneven areas of text only if the previous screen was something with an image in that area. Most often seen when opening a book from home screen, but also visible if changing pages in a book with large, dark images, or if I overlay some kind of window on the text temporarily (ex: pressing the Menu button.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The T1 appears to have ghosting issues like this. Even though it blacks the screen for a refresh at every page turn, it is not enough to completely clear the screen of whatever image was on there before. I notice these uneven areas of text only if the previous screen was something with an image in that area. Most often seen when opening a book from home screen, but also visible if changing pages in a book with large, dark images, or if I overlay some kind of window on the text temporarily (ex: pressing the Menu button.)
that´s is the same in my t1.

Not too much annoying for me
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Hi, have brand new T-1 here, but I've noticed that sometimes, I get pages where the text is noticeably uneven. Some text is lighter than the rest. It seems rather random in books, but I usually can see the effect on the Text Memo screen.

A reboot hasn't solved the issue, nor has general playing around with the device.

There have been no screen freezes or any thing like that so far, just the uneven text. I don't feel like this is normal and want to exchange or return the unit to SonyStyle, but I thought I better see if any other people had had this problem.

I took a picture, light wasn't very good, but the problem shows, perhaps somewhat worse looking in the photo than on the reader.
Is it consistent from book to book, from books from different retailers?

My first thought was that it might be the epub - if some text is marked with color tags, they might come out gray on-screen.

But if you're getting that with different books, then there is something wrong with your reader and you should exchange it. I've had mine for weeks and I haven't seen anything like that on mine.

The great contrast is one of the big pluses of this reader - you should have one you can enjoy.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Strange, I've not noticed this...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
My 950 does that sometimes - well, very rarely. It seems related to extreme temperatures - I had it happen once under the sun and a couple of times after leaving the device in my car at freezing temperatures.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This problem has been reported in the past on the X50 series. I have also seen it a few times on my 950. I have not seen it on my T1 (yet).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Does it though? I have not and hubby has not seen ghosting like this on his T-1. At all. I didn't see any on the T-1 I played with at Best Buy and I haven't actually seen a lot of posts complaining about ghosting.

I agree that it might *be* a ghosting issue, but I hate ghosting! And if not all T-1s exhibit this behavior, then mine is either going in for a refund or an exchange. Because frankly, I have three Sony readers now (two of which are refurbs) and none of the other three is doing nasty ghosting like this.

Hubby and I were comparing our devices this morning, I did find out that the uneven text on the Text Memo screen actually is duplicated EXACTLY by his T-1. So I now know that that is likely just the way they are. I put a test memo on his, and deleted it, so I guess we'll see if the delete takes on his device.

What was not duplicated on the two devices was the fact that his screen was clear and my screen had white lines running across it.

The device has not been subjected to any extreme temps here, just standard 66-70 household temps. I did take it out today, swimming around in my old JAVOedge Nook case, but it didn't behave any worse at the library after brief exposure to 40F temps. No better either.

At any rate, my conclusion at the moment is that this reader goes back. I'm just not sure whether hubby should get a refund for his gift or we should request another reader. I would like a nice T-1, like hubby has. That screen is a "Wow!" compared to my other readers, while this screen is just "meh". I could comfortably read a size smaller font than normal on hubby's nice contrasty screen. Not so on my T-1.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I would exchange it and try a replacement, graycyn. I think that the T1 is much improved in regards to ghosting compared to my past Sony models. My T1 screen is a "Wow!". It is really a great reading experience.

How do you like the white? I think your hubby's T1 is black?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #12
graycyn
Wizard

I guess I've been lucky then, because ghosting has not been a real issue for me with my three x50s so far, though I haven't used the second refurb 350 all that much yet.

As for the white color, I'm very fond of it! It doesn't show up fingerprints (something I hate about the black) and so far, the gloss on the white has not been particularly distracting. Haven't tried it with a book light yet though, mostly because I don't have a cover. At any rate, so far I do not feel the need to skin it and I love the looks!

And as I took it into Wal-Mart today, I can confirm that it will fit in an M-Edge Latitude zipped cover for Kindle 4, Kindle Touch and Kobo. It is a tight fit because of the extra length and sharp corners though, i.e. you have to work the zipper around a bit. I don't like that sort of cover myself, but it does work if someone needs a cover. The bottom straps just cleared the buttons.