Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
ahilton
ahilton began at the beginning.

Device: none
The Guild of the Cowry Catchers - illustrated - free book for your feedback

Hi! My name’s Abigail (Abbie) Hilton. I’ve been a podcaster for several years, and I’m now venturing into eBooks. I write fantasy. My 2 series are The Prophet of Panamindorah (young adult) and The Guild of the Cowry Catchers (adult) – both set in the same world. You can find them in the Nook store.

I’m producing Cowry Catchers as illustrated ebooks, and I’d love to hear your opinions, particularly if you own a Nook Color. I’ve worked hard on the files, and I think they look good in black and white, but if you open them in a color device, they look even better. This is a completed, 5 book series. The first 2 are available, and I’m working on the files for the last 3. Here’s the description:
The querulous island kingdoms of Wefrivain are united only by religion, a wyvern cult ruled by an eccentric and cruel High Priestess. The Temple is under attack by a gang of pirates, known as the Guild of the Cowry Catchers. They’ve been preying on Temple treasure ships, and the Temple Police charged with eradicating this menace keep disappearing.

Enter Gerard, a young prince who was exiled from his small island kingdom for marrying the court minstrel. Chosen by the High Priestess as the new Captain of Police, Gerard is smart, honorable, and a little naïve. To break the pirate ring, he must cooperate with a wily, amoral admiral—who has already tried to kill him twice.

As Gerard struggles to protect his talented wife, obey his seductive employer, and forge a complicating friendship with his dangerous coworker, he becomes increasingly aware that the pirates have a legitimate quarrel with the wyverns. Dark mysteries lurk in the Temple dungeons, and solving them will cost Gerard far more than his honor.

This is a dark, nautical fantasy – Narnia-for-adults meets George R. R. Martin. It also includes some gay and bisexual characters. These books aren’t about being gay, but if gay characters offend you, you’re not my target audience. On the other hand, if you like high-politics/low-magic fantasy with a diverse cast, then I think I’ve got something you’ll enjoy. The pictures are safe for work. This story is for grown-ups, but it isn’t erotica.

The illustrated versions are $4.99, and I’ve got the un-illustrated version of Book 1 listed for free. I will send you the *illustrated* version of Book 1 for free if you tell me what you think (and perhaps write a review . Again: I am particularly interested in hearing from people with Nook Colors.

Email me at abigail dot hilton at gmail dot com or PM me, and I’ll send you the book. If this post is still up, you can assume the offer is still good.

Also, I’d love to hear what you think of story-book illustrations on the Nook in general. I want to hear about illustrated fiction, not graphs/ charts/ pictures in non-fiction. What are common mistakes? Is anyone doing this well? Who?
ahilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Another book I can't read, thanks to it being only available for a platform I don't own. Too bad, it sounds like a good one.

How hard is it to catch a cowrie, by the way? I mean, they don't crawl very fast.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Another book I can't read, thanks to it being only available for a platform I don't own. Too bad, it sounds like a good one.
Worldwalker, you can pick up the non-illustrated version of the first book at Smashwords for free in EPUB (or whatever other format you might want, but I see you have a Sony).

It does sound good, I might read it as soon as I'm done with The Gods of Dream.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
ahilton

formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

How hard is it to catch a cowrie, by the way? I mean, they don't crawl very fast.
Hi, Worldwalker. AndrewH speaks the truth. You can get it from Smashwords in any format you want (and if they've missed a format, let me know and, I'll work on it). The un-illustrated version of Book 1 is free in both SM and BN. If you email or PM me, I'll send you the illustrated version to test-drive in the format of your choice. Also, I'm producing these books as a free podcast in fullcast audio. The first 2 are out. Check iTunes if that's your cup-a-tea.

Cowries - They can move pretty fast when they're on a pirate ship.

Andrew - Thanks! I got your email, and sent you the file. If you don't see it soon, check your spam filter.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got it! Really looking forward to this one.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks!

should prophet of panamindorah or guild of the cowry catchers be read first?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
ahilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
should prophet of panamindorah or guild of the cowry catchers be read first?
Hey, there. You can start with either one. They happen in distant parts of the world to different sets of characters about a 10 years apart.

Prophet was written first, but Cowry Catchers is chronologically first. That's not important, though. You do want to read the books in order within each series.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
The book covers are gorgeous!

I do not own a nook, but I do use Nook for PC, will that work?

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-06-2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
ahilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The book covers are gorgeous!

I do not own a nook, but I do use Nook for PC, will that work?
Absolutely! If you want a free copy, email or PM me. I encourage people to open it in a color reader (even if their primary reading device is black and white) just so they can see the watercolors in their native beauty.

My primary artist is Sarah Cloutier - http://melukilan.deviantart.com/ I've been working with her for about 5 years now on the artwork for these books, and she is tremendously talented. I also have several excellent secondary artists, including Greensprite (her choice of pseudonym) http://greensprite.deviantart.com/ who did all the character portraits. These ladies got paid for their work, and I also give them an ongoing percent of sales. When I win, everyone wins.

Last edited by ahilton; 02-06-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilton View Post
Absolutely! If you want a free copy, email or PM me. I encourage people to open it in a color reader (even if their primary reading device is black and white) just so they can see the watercolors in their native beauty.

My primary artist is Sarah Cloutier - http://melukilan.deviantart.com/ I've been working with her for about 5 years now on the artwork for these books, and she is tremendously talented. I also have several excellent secondary artists, including Greensprite (her choice of pseudonym) http://greensprite.deviantart.com/ who did all the character portraits. These ladies got paid for their work, and I also give them an ongoing percent of sales. When I win, everyone wins.
I have sent you a PM. I look forward to seeing/reading your work.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
AndrewH
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilton View Post

That's really great! The illustrations are beautiful.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
ahilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
That's really great! The illustrations are beautiful.
Thank you! The watercolors are hanging on my walls. There's nothing quite like seeing your story come to life in images. Someday, I'd like to do a comic, but that's a much bigger project. In the meantime, working with the artists on this story has made me very happy.