Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
harpum
Enthusiast
harpum began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 51v/LG chocolate
Is it possible to support dual boot?

Yesterday night I check the battery time.
The result was around 11hour 30minute when I did not do anything after booting. It mean I should often turn it off when I do not need it.

If iliad support another boot option like a quick boot mode, I think it will be better.
Like a safe mode in windows, It only support a special format like sony reader lrf format which only consume a little battery power and support a suspended mode.

( I just want to get a benefit of sony reader which support a long battery time.)

For fast boot and energy saving, quick boot mode may turn off wifi, wacom and etc...

Because I am not a computer programmer, I do not know how to make it.

I hope some experts in our community can make it.

Thanks.
Kwang.

Last edited by harpum; 07-06-2007 at 07:05 AM.
harpum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Of course it should be possible to create a dual boot. The source code is there. But still the reprogramming options are missing - thou nobody wants to risk to brick it ;=)
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
In the next month or so, you should have the ability to boot an alternate kernel from the compactflash card. This will primarily be used for unbricking, but should work for running an alternate os.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
There is a hole in your mind

Right, they've been saying "next month" for ten months now.

Like I've said, I'm just waiting for them to admit they made a mistake in the hardware and they can't do it. Because even my Mom could have coded it by now.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Right, they've been saying "next month" for ten months now.

Like I've said, I'm just waiting for them to admit they made a mistake in the hardware and they can't do it. Because even my Mom could have coded it by now.
Perhaps you should send them your Mom's resume. Or maybe they only have a few programmers, and are working on other things.

According to Matthijs here: http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=1385, it should be out before 2.11 which is planned for a mid-august release. He's never lied in the past, I have no reason to doubt him now.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
harpum
Enthusiast
harpum began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 51v/LG chocolate
Thanks, Adam and scotty1024.

Actually I ordered sony reader for usual reading.
Whenever I saw few pages, I should turn it on for iliad.
If you dual booting is possible, I need not to carry both of them.
harpum is offline   Reply With Quote