Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Serial novel writers out there?

I'm just about finished with a novella that I intend to offer free on a blog site as a daily serial of 500-800 words. Anybody out there with experience at this? Have any tips?
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You might check out Kris Rusch's blog.

http://kriswrites.com/business-rusch...hing-articles/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've found that serials operate according to a slightly different set of rules than regular novels. I wrote fantasy gaming stories at EnWorld (here's an example) for about eight years. The trick (at least for me) was to have a lot of cliffhangers and characters that readers could develop relationships with. In fantasy there are a lot of immediately-recognizable archetypes that make this easier to do. You don't necessarily have to have your characters in a life-or-death situation at every break point but it helps to have a reason for your readers to come back for the next installment. And your first post has to have something in it that snags the reader; I suppose it's not that different from the first few pages of a novel in that respect, but given the post length you cited in essence you are selling the entire story in a very compact introduction. I tried to make my posts about 1.5-2k words and that worked well for me, but then again my stories were much longer (the one I linked above ended up being 633k words).

Good luck! Serials can be a lot of fun.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You might want to check out a site like obooko.com that does this kind of thing for 100's of authors to see how they are doing it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There is no need to send anyone off to look elsewhere! MR has its very own serial novel(la) happening right now (you must have noticed The murder mystery thread). What better example could we look for? Murder and mayhem in every installment.

gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Yves Gorat
Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yves Gorat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think bookiejar allows something similar ...
Yves Gorat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Gorat View Post
I think bookiejar allows something similar ...
Opps... I meant Bookiejar when I said obooko. Sorry!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Opps... I meant Bookiejar when I said obooko. Sorry!
Thanks for the clarification. I was a little puzzled when I looked at obooko.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote