Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #451
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_M_Mugford View Post
I should also mention one other wrinkle that would crop up. Sports Biographies. I TEND to manually categorize them as Sports, but that really didn't work all that well in practice. So, now they are BSports, leaving me with Bios that are not sports, and Sports for books that aren't Bios. The issue is writing that search. And thus far, I have failed due to the lack of understanding of negation in the search line.

Food for extra thought.
Searches can e done through the tag browser, to exactly match whichever item is chosen, and follow the syntax field:"=value" where the equals sign tells it to exactly match the quoted value. (yes, the = goes inside the quotes.)

Negation is easy, just add "not" before the term.

You can chain together search terms by holding down Ctrl while selecting multiple tag browser fields. Double clicking will negate the field and use the button "alter tag browser" to switch "search type when selecting multiple items" between "match all" and "match any".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #452
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
...Running through my set of tagsGM takes me five minutes. But it leaves a LOT of books uncategorized, which I then manually assess and assign. THAT takes the time.

The issue is handling the tags terms. Biographies is different from Biographies & Memoirs is different from Biographies And Memoirs. And so on. I have the main terms covered. Fine-tuning it has proven beyond my capabilities and/or my time allowances. Still, this thread has re-invigorated that desire and I am more actively interested. I like the idea of a program that digests tags sets and produces a value in a created column. In delphi, I'd just split the tags into a stringlist, all caps. Then I would search each item for whether pos(searchterm, item.text) > 0 and then edit the created column for the pre-determined value. I'd be able to nest the searches in the order I WANT, so that Mysteries and Thrillers falls into the Mystery category rather than the Thriller category, no matter where that individual tag lands in the tag list. There's also the problem of Science Fiction Mysteries (which I would prefer to be in SF, rather than Mystery) having to be assigned in such a way (either by going first or last, depending on the methodology), so that I get the assignment I desire.

But Python is not Delphi and my knowledge is ... lacking. Doing the above, splitting the tag set, capitalizing the results and then comparing it to my tagsGM list, sub-term by sub-term is beyond me. But I'm watching your examples, playing with your programs. So keep up the work. Please. You'll be helping more than ACGAuthor.

Thanks.
Let me ask you a basic question. Why do you download tags at all?

I bet I spend less time not downloading tags, but reading comments then designating my own tags in my own custom columns, than you do, or than I would if I downloaded tags and had to assess and transform the downloaded tags into something workable.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #453
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Let me ask you a basic question. Why do you download tags at all?

I bet I spend less time not downloading tags, but reading comments then designating my own tags in my own custom columns, than you do, or than I would if I downloaded tags and had to assess and transform the downloaded tags into something workable.
I'm sure you are very thorough and very efficient. But there is a chance I might be adding a magnitude (or two) of books more than you do, regularly. If I was doing just ten or even 50 books at a time, then your way would probably be time and energy efficient. As I am not, it is a bet I would most definitely take, if I was willing to take advantage of a stranger.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:37 AM   #454
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Searches can e done through the tag browser, to exactly match whichever item is chosen, and follow the syntax field:"=value" where the equals sign tells it to exactly match the quoted value. (yes, the = goes inside the quotes.)

Negation is easy, just add "not" before the term.

You can chain together search terms by holding down Ctrl while selecting multiple tag browser fields. Double clicking will negate the field and use the button "alter tag browser" to switch "search type when selecting multiple items" between "match all" and "match any".
I don't use the tag browser when 'constructing' my multiple searches onto a single line. Done in notepad and then copied as a single line. For example, (tags:"=Thriller" or tags:"=Suspense" or tags:"=Romantic Suspense" or tags:"=Suspense/Thriller" or tags:"=Action & Adventure") gives me back about 5900 books while adding the negation (or which I knew how to do this far) of ((tags:"=Thriller" or tags:"=Suspense" or tags:"=Romantic Suspense" or tags:"=Suspense/Thriller" or tags:"=Action & Adventure") and not (tags:"=Mystery") returns only 4000.

Two issues arise of course, the negation doesn't catch Mystery/Thrillers, of course. Using the tag browser to ctrl click on every Mystery variant is certainly doable, if daunting. Secondly, the negation I was talking about was in the regex/program area. So, strictly speaking, I was incorrect in attributing it strictly to my python ignorance. It's as much regex as Python. I use regex at it's most basic levels because my own programming relies on a masking language that is somewhere south of Regex and not exactly a full-blow implementation.

When, or if, you find away to break apart the tags and use smart matching so that I can construct my own set of logical statements to compare fragments, so that Mystery==Mystery/Thrillers==mysteries by comparing for myster, then I think I can carry the ball the rest of the way. It'll probably be slower'n molasses, but I'll adapt it.

An AI solution won't be perfect. But neither is my eyesight OR my memory these days.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:55 AM   #455
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
I'm sure you are very thorough and very efficient. But there is a chance I might be adding a magnitude (or two) of books more than you do, regularly. If I was doing just ten or even 50 books at a time, then your way would probably be time and energy efficient. As I am not, it is a bet I would most definitely take, if I was willing to take advantage of a stranger.
Heh. I'm glad you're not willing to take my nonexistent bet money. Okay, I understand that. It's too easy for me to assume that everyone has similar needs to mine. Even though I know that's not true.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 AM   #456
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't use the tag browser when 'constructing' my multiple searches onto a single line. Done in notepad and then copied as a single line. For example, (tags:"=Thriller" or tags:"=Suspense" or tags:"=Romantic Suspense" or tags:"=Suspense/Thriller" or tags:"=Action & Adventure") gives me back about 5900 books while adding the negation (or which I knew how to do this far) of ((tags:"=Thriller" or tags:"=Suspense" or tags:"=Romantic Suspense" or tags:"=Suspense/Thriller" or tags:"=Action & Adventure") and not (tags:"=Mystery") returns only 4000.

Two issues arise of course, the negation doesn't catch Mystery/Thrillers, of course. Using the tag browser to ctrl click on every Mystery variant is certainly doable, if daunting. Secondly, the negation I was talking about was in the regex/program area. So, strictly speaking, I was incorrect in attributing it strictly to my python ignorance. It's as much regex as Python. I use regex at it's most basic levels because my own programming relies on a masking language that is somewhere south of Regex and not exactly a full-blow implementation.

When, or if, you find away to break apart the tags and use smart matching so that I can construct my own set of logical statements to compare fragments, so that Mystery==Mystery/Thrillers==mysteries by comparing for myster, then I think I can carry the ball the rest of the way. It'll probably be slower'n molasses, but I'll adapt it.

An AI solution won't be perfect. But neither is my eyesight OR my memory these days.
If you want to match all tags that contain the word "Mystery" then remove the equal sign.

Searches don't use regex, though you can "search" using a custom column, where if certain fields match certain regexes, the value is set to "Yes" or something. I bet we could work something out.

Negation in regex is quite simple, as far as it goes. You can match "Mystery" but not "Mystery/Thrillers" with the regex "Mystery(?!/Thrillers)". By creating a capture group of form (?regex) you will match only when that string is there, but not include the string in the result; perhaps more useful is (?!regex) where the ! negates it.

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-08-2014 at 02:26 AM. Reason: I opened my mouth and was wrong. :o
Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 AM   #457
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You most definitely can use regexes in searches. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui....arch-interface
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 AM   #458
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You most definitely can use regexes in searches. http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui....arch-interface
Whoops, I stand corrected. Should've known.

Should check these things first before I blab, eh?

So you can search
Quote:
tags:"~Mystery(?!/Thrillers)"
to match "Mystery" but not "Mystery/Thrillers".

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-08-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #459
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Kovid,

Do you have any control over the in-place ads that accompany random entries here in Mobileread? The ad accompanying ESchwartz's entry below is probably different each time for each user, but I got the toe fungus ad and it was extremely off-putting.

I don't block ads, but this one has me considering doing just that. The accompany picture was ... well, it might be accurate but I didn't need to see it just before lunch.

If you CAN contribute some editorial guidance, it would be appreciated. I don't begrudge sites making money to provide me with important extras in life, but ...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #460
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:

So you can search to match "Mystery" but not "Mystery/Thrillers".
Some food for thought. And for experimentation. Going into the tests, I had to admit to being fearful about dispensing with the = signs, as my experience with unindexed searches is that it takes a long time (I have a lot of books, so the pain is self-inflicted to a large degree).

Well, it appears that my fears were totally unfounded. Changing search terms from a multiplicity of Mystery variants in the form of tags:"=Mystery" proved unnecessary. tags:"Mystery" got Mystery and it also got Mystery & Detective as you expected. That knowledge changes my interpretation of what I CAN do to a very large degree. Furthermore, getting the in-line negation code fragment now allows me to do IF THEN's to my programming heart's delight. It will let me write smarter searches that leave fewer incoming books as uncategorized.

Thank you. You doggedness in getting it right is much appreciated.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #461
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:

So you can search to match "Mystery" but not "Mystery/Thrillers".
Again, my regex knowledge is sparse. The purpose of the tilde in:

tags:"~Mystery(?!/Thrillers)"

I get the parentheses. That's a group. I get the exclamation mark as being negation and /Thrillers as the term I expressly asked for. The question mark I THINK is what turns the parentheses into a group. But the tilde? I tried my search with and without the tilde and got the same result set in what appears to be close to instantaneous time.

My 03B Mysteries Not Thrillers search now becomes:
((tags:"Mystery" or tags:"Detectives" or tags:"Crime") and not (tags:"Thriller"))

The design decision to add a separate NOT clause for thiller was to avoid having to add a negation regex to each of the three search terms in the OR clause. The speed was very fast, much faster than the old saved search that included the equals sign.

Now, if I could only write a search that would change the created column #tagsgm... i.e. something like #tagsgm:=="BioSports"(?(tags:"Biography") and (tags:"Sports")) which I could follow with #tagsgm:=="Bio"(?(tags:"Biography") and not (tags:"Sports"))

Throw those (and others) into a program for the created column and I'm on auto cruise control.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #462
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The tilde is supposed to activate regex mode.

And searching for "Mystery" would take a much longer time, as it has to search through every metadata field, but when you add the tags: qualifier, it narrows that down tremendously. Having it EXACTLY equal Mystery versus CONTAIN mystery is a minor difference, so feel free to use = only when you feel like it, just so long as you avoid using a search that wants to search the entire database.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #463
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Now, if I could only write a search that would change the created column #tagsgm... i.e. something like #tagsgm:=="BioSports"(?(tags:"Biography") and (tags:"Sports")) which I could follow with #tagsgm:=="Bio"(?(tags:"Biography") and not (tags:"Sports"))

Throw those (and others) into a program for the created column and I'm on auto cruise control.
Taking this as a challenge ...

What exactly do you want to do? Is #tagsgsm a composite custom column like tags? Are you saying that you want it to contain the word "BioSports" if tags contains the tag Sports and the tag Biography? Our something else?

BTW: (?!xyz) Is not really a group. Instead it tests that whatever text is next does not equal xyz. The interesting thing about this test is that it does not consume the characters negatively matched, so that the test foo(?!bar)\w* will match fooAlphanumeric except if the alphanumeric part starts with bar.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #464
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
The tilde is supposed to activate regex mode.

And searching for "Mystery" would take a much longer time, as it has to search through every metadata field, but when you add the tags: qualifier, it narrows that down tremendously. Having it EXACTLY equal Mystery versus CONTAIN mystery is a minor difference, so feel free to use = only when you feel like it, just so long as you avoid using a search that wants to search the entire database.
Wellllll,

I did do the experiments outlined in the previous post. I used tags:"Mystery" and got back a rather instantaneous search. Even combined with other AND clauses, it was likety split quick. Added the NOT clause for Thriller. STILL likety split quick. All of which were accomplished without needing to resort to regex.

Now, NOW that I know the tilde is needed for initiating a regex search, you have save me considerable angst down the road when I start using negation regex code within some more complex. Appreciate the further definition.

GM
Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 AM   #465
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Taking this as a challenge ...

What exactly do you want to do? Is #tagsgsm a composite custom column like tags? Are you saying that you want it to contain the word "BioSports" if tags contains the tag Sports and the tag Biography? Our something else?

BTW: (?!xyz) Is not really a group. Instead it tests that whatever text is next does not equal xyz. The interesting thing about this test is that it does not consume the characters negatively matched, so that the test foo(?!bar)\w* will match fooAlphanumeric except if the alphanumeric part starts with bar.
Gawd, does THIS feel familiar. Me pie in the skying and you coming to the battle.

Okay, since YOU ASKED .... I'm faced with this situation. I add a rather large number of books. I then select the newly added ones and change the new books to have an Uncat value in the my #gmtags column. It's not a complex column, just one that allows for my small tag sub-set, Mysteries, Thrillers, SF, NF, Sports, Biographies, Sports Biographies, Bridge, Writing and Young Adult. Then, I ctrl-D and download the metadata from the internet. I then run a series of saved searches that looks for #gmtags=Uncat added to a series of search terms in a bracketed OR clause for the tags field. One that covers, for the most part, each of the gmtags categories. After it finds the uncategorized books that fit, I select all and go into group edit. I check off delete all gmtags and then add that particular gmtag. Click OK and the books all disappear. I then move on to the next saved search. Repeat rinse cycle.

In all, it takes about five minutes. Long for a half-dozen books, really quick for a thousand new uncategorized books.

However, my searches are NOT perfect. I'd say I get somewhere around 80 percent recategorized. I put SOME effort into manually scanning and correcting the rest, but I'm old, lazy and less interested in perfection than I used to be.

ESchwartz has been quite active of late and has started producing code that I find ... interesting. Especially recent threads that have moved towards changing another column through a program rather than a quick one-line regex code (which I got from you, heh heh heh). I need a program (or I think I do) because the end result has to be smarter than what I have currently. The BETTER solution will involve LOTS of nesting when all is said and done. There is the old issue of which one term to use in gmtags when more than one of the 'mother' terms is found. While I have bent on the issue of Sports Biographies, I'm a stubborn old coot on the rest. I have imperiously commanded that Mystery/Thrillers are Thrillers, not Mysteries. At least they are in my small pocket universe.

That's why I was anxiously looking forward to ESchwartz's development of the request he had gotten from ACGauthor. So I could poach. I am not a good man.

That's WHAT I am doing. I would like to shorten the steps down to one really smart super search (that would change the other column), because wrapping it up IN a created column definition might slow things down during normal use of the library I have created in Calibre. I'm sure there are bigger libraries out there. But given the inclusion of academic papers and my own writings and acquired books, mine is sizable.

So there it is, wrapped up in a bunch of peanut shells. What have you got?

Happy New Year, by the way. GM

Tags
custom column, tag, tags